Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Well more to the story. I built a custom trailer hitch for my tire trailer. So that is probably 30 to 40 pounds plus studio rsr role bar. Plus all the strut braces etc so I guess adds up.

6C612A2D-C8F7-4938-B988-58ACFE249400.jpeg

6E2639A5-4564-4FC1-BE90-26951AEC4B40.jpeg
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
No the trailer hitch part.... I havent found one that anyone makes for the Supra.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yea that RSR rollbar is at least 70lbs.

and yes, more info on the trailer hitch! You've been holding out on us!

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
You guys are killing me, I am getting ready for track weekend so will try to describe it briefly. so if you take out the reverse light and then look up under the back there are 2 square cross members that hold the bumper that is where I bolted it too, 2 flat plates and then 2 bolts straight though those beams then I measured and welded 1 1/4" fairly heavy wall tubing from those plates over to the center where you see the receiver. I bought the receiver tube and hitch from e-trailer. Spent time over engineering so put gussets etc. Bottom plate under the receiver hole with 2 hole for tow chains. So took quite a bit of fitting, and welding. Then went and had it powder coated. Took car to U- haul to wire and they though I was crazy but they had done some corvettes so they got it wired. I will see if I can find any pics of the hitch before I put it on, as it is hard to describe. I did even take bumper or exhaust off. Cut shielding so I could get to those beams. I am sure this was a first!

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I figured getting into Brakes discussion would be lively as there is no perfect answer. The car stops fine with stock or big brakes. In my case was not trying to use the Brakes for faster times but just wanted to be able to run my pace for the whole session, without smoking them , and hopefully get some decent rotor and pad life. Faster tires are also harder on Brakes. These cars are heavy 3600/3700 pounds so a lot to stop as you start getting faster times. So I basically go through a set of pads about the same as tires - 6-7 track days, so for me I am balancing the cost of all these consumable items. I agree if you can figure out how to use less Brake and get on the gas before Apex you are going faster. More gas less Brake! Easier said than done, but is why we are all out there learning and practicing and having fun. Just think there are very few people who actually get to do this. So glad it is helping for everyone and we can keep up topics as I am sure there are plenty more.
On topic of saving brake & Gas, as you may know, I'm a NASA NE instructor leading GR program in my region also fueled by having a supra since '20. Like you, I'm assigned to a Supra or GR86 driver all the time. And in a way it's good that I can actually show my students what car is capable as well as other things specific to supra. Hence, 1st 2 years, '20 & '21, I was using average of 1.5 ~ 2 tanks of gas. few times, I was giving ride to other student and family/friend of student for 3 ~4 straight sessions. I used a lot of tire, brake, & gas during that time. when gas price sky rocketted in '22, I had to do something to accommodate "demand for ride" and gas price. my solution was shifting at 5,000 RPM. on average, I am 1~ 2 second slower a lap but I'm getting about 10 mpg compared to 5~7 mpg with full throttle and I rarely have to refuel in a day.

As a side effect, because i do want to go around track as fast, I have to carry more speed into the corner. And the entry speed is getting faster (as i practice more) because I can control speed better as well as start accelerating earlier. This will allow you to use less brake & gas, however may not help tire life.

Try it few times next time when you are at track. This is one of technics I learned when I was at skip barber.

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Thanks for the info Nibble, good to see there are other Supra owners/Nasa instructors. On the fuel consumption I drive to the track starting out on a full tank 30% Ethanol, mix in tank which is about 45 miles. I bring 18 Gal,. of 30% Ethanol mix and if I run 4 Sessions plus Time Trial, some times not all but is at least 4-6 sessions in a day, the by the end of the day I normally will be putting in the last jug to go home which brings it to about 1/2 tank. Then go to gas station and fill car, plus 3 jugs ( race jugs fit nicely in the back) for the next day. So roughly use 4 Gal per Session if you do 15 to 20 min. So you use way more fuel with Ethanol mixes, than 91/93. It is a good technique to lift a little sooner and coast a bit /brake less and then roll through the corner, hopefully a little faster, and is definitely smoother. This also slows you down a bit and allows you to practice on being more precise and consistent on your brake release and turn in points as you are not charging so hard for each turn. So all good stuff.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Well more to the story. I built a custom trailer hitch for my tire trailer. So that is probably 30 to 40 pounds plus studio rsr role bar. Plus all the strut braces etc so I guess adds up.
I had a trailer/hitch for my Evo before buying a trailer/tow rig. I got a lot of fun looks. LOL

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
You mean like this? hahahah

We have a run off at turn 7 on Sebring. I think Iā€™ve only done this twice šŸ˜¬. Smart as hell to always know your run off spots if coming in too hot.

Canā€™t say enough about bleeding your fluid after each weekend & get the old junk out. Youā€™ll see the darker fluid and Iā€˜d stop after it goes back to clear. Iā€™ve gotten a soft pedal last day one weekend in this Supra because I skipped the fluid flush. Had nothing to do with the brand. The best brand, such as Castrol SRF wonā€™t matter if you donā€™t bleed it after repeated use. Iā€™m getting back into tracking again and just forgot old habits. I had to dial back my braking the rest of the day... Which was fine since Iā€™m not competing like a lot of you guys.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
We have a run off at turn 7 on Sebring. I think Iā€™ve only done this twice šŸ˜¬. Smart as hell to always know your run off spots if coming in too hot.

Canā€™t say enough about bleeding your fluid after each weekend & get the old junk out. Youā€™ll see the darker fluid and Iā€˜d stop after it goes back to clear. Iā€™ve gotten a soft pedal last day one weekend in this Supra because I skipped the fluid flush. Had nothing to do with the brand. The best brand, such as Castrol SRF wonā€™t matter if you donā€™t bleed it after repeated use. Iā€™m getting back into tracking again and just forgot old habits. I had to dial back my braking the rest of the day... Which was fine since Iā€™m not competing like a lot of you guys.
I did I think 3 track days, 6 TT events, COTA and 2 GridLife TA events last year. I bled the brakes twice. Using SRF and CSG pads.
Sponsored