Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
That I do not have personal experience with. I do know people run 18x11's with true coilover rear but as you know, people never give the full picture. The wheel will fit, the tires are the true story.

A9810E2D-49D2-4D55-B698-EDD8252A15AC.jpg
You still have the stock rear end link? I guess SPL adjustable one is not that necessary? Iā€™ve got the front but was wondering if I needed the back.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
You links work now, those are for ST-40 calipers. Stoptech. Not OEM.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 3.16.57ā€ÆPM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 3.17.10ā€ÆPM.png
Thanks amigo. I realized after the fact that I picked Z4 30i instead of M40i. And I do think their link is possibly off for the Hawk email they sent. So I called them and youā€™re right. Still not available for the stock 3.0 premium calipersā€¦. just yet. However, I did ask them another question.

Which wasā€¦ I was told (just like Sean -Evo said), I can use any top hats with my Ohlins. I was short on time during the install and went back to my OEM top hats/mounts (easiest at the time). However they were making a spring noise with a decent amount of wheel turn. So the race shop said if I get mounts that allow the spring perch to rotate, they wonā€™t make that noise and perform better. Bonus: the wife wanted the sound gone, which led me to the solution below šŸ‘‡

Update (solution): https://vorshlag-store.com/products/vorshlag-toyota-a90-supra-2020-up-camber-plates-coilover-perches

Also, I replaced the rear axels for leaky CV joint/boots. The owner of the race shop said she replaces the boot grease with high temp grease if a customer has a new Porsche that truly going dedicated track. So I donā€™t think itā€™ll hurt to do the same with my new ones. I only know of one other local buddy in Miami that had to do the same. His is dedicated track Supra, gets in more track time and drives during our summers šŸ«  I realize the average Supra owner shouldnā€™t need this. But just something to think about if in more extreme šŸ”„ conditions pushing her pretty hard.

Last edited:

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Is there a way to have JB4 invade the OBD port but still have a laptimer like Vbox access information they would normally get from the OBD port like Throttle/Brake etc? I know JB4 reports temps and throttle but I am most interested in my brake application and release and I'd like to have that superimposed over my track videos perfectly synced. AFAIK JB4 can't share the OBD port with anything else...that those splitters don't work.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Is there a way to have JB4 invade the OBD port but still have a laptimer like Vbox access information they would normally get from the OBD port like Throttle/Brake etc? I know JB4 reports temps and throttle but I am most interested in my brake application and release and I'd like to have that superimposed over my track videos perfectly synced. AFAIK JB4 can't share the OBD port with anything else...that those splitters don't work.
You need to tap into CAN or have an app that supports Enhanced OBD2 to log chassis stuff like brakes, wheel speeds, etc.

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Like this? https://www.supramkv.com/threads/diy-hooking-up-aim-devices-mxm.14602/

I guess I did not know the difference between OBD and CAN bus. I mean I still don't but understand that JB4 takes OBD but data loggers can be positapped in to CAN bus and there is no contention between the two devices.

Two different networks. Think of OBD2 as a request/answer conversation. So it takes time to ask the question and get an answer and if you talk over each other, you get confused. Think of CAN as a constant stream of data and you just choose which ones you want to see.

You CAN get both OBD2 and CAN data over the OBD2 port, but it will be slower and for the CAN stuff, you need an app that can read Enhanced OBD2 data.

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Two different networks. Think of OBD2 as a request/answer conversation. So it takes time to ask the question and get an answer and if you talk over each other, you get confused. Think of CAN as a constant stream of data and you just choose which ones you want to see.

You CAN get both OBD2 and CAN data over the OBD2 port, but it will be slower and for the CAN stuff, you need an app that can read Enhanced OBD2 data.
So like something like this can be used to get CAN bus data to a data logger like vbox which has 32 Can bus inputs capability...there you select the telemetry you want and not mess with the OBD port at all?

https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=102

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Looks like it. Keep in mind that the Vbox has very limited CAN data mapped out.
Can you spoon feed it to me (and others like me) plz? lol.

What app/hw to have gps data/video/selected
can bus stuff to be there without the use of OBD port. Complete solution. Currently have catalyst.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
120 track days since new and rear diff is about done
Rear diff fluid changed twice a season. Stock struts. Driven very aggressively

Just a fwiw

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
120 track days since new and rear diff is about done
Rear diff fluid changed twice a season. Stock struts. Driven very aggressively

Just a fwiw
This is the first car I've tracked. What kind of symptoms do you feel or how does the car start to change when you feel the diff starting to go?

Also can you link what you buy for trans and diff fluid?

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
This is the first car I've tracked. What kind of symptoms do you feel or how does the car start to change when you feel the diff starting to go?

Also can you link what you buy for trans and diff fluid?
Wellā€¦. The reports of my demise may be prematureā€¦.

I know the diff is struggling. Fluid is shiny and the passenger axle can be wiggled.

BUT
Some other Supra guys said to top off fuel before time trial. Did not repeat and was able to smash my personal best.

Duh! Sorry. So when you drive like an animal you will fuel starve at Summit Main in 6-7 even at 3/4 full!!
Posted 1:18.2 in nasa TT2