Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Hey guys. Trying to find information on the CRS tire in the rain. I could swear somebody has commented on it, particularly in this thread. My search is coming up empty.
Cliff notes?
Headed to Chuckwalla in December and wondering if I should run my track tires or just swap to the OEM stuff.
If it is really going to be rain- OEM or all seasons
Sponsored

Reactions: kaj

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Sounds like my kinda guy! Love those tires and driving in the rain (on track).

No fun in town, or to track destination when pouring. However, If you turn your lap timer off, drive like you just got your 1st social security check on track - you’ll get some incredible feedback at much slower safer speeds. Then when it’s finally dry again, it’ll feel like a breeze.

It’s either that or sit and watch your track weekend wash away when you live in the subtropics 😂
Me and another guy are in a points chase. Taking it easy isn't an option.

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
two ways to run wet days:
Street tire at full tread, to evacuate water
Track tires at high temp, to evaporate water

A good aero setup can help with the former, on tires without much water sips. it also helps to run massive rear aero imbalance as well, to increase the static margin

RC-1
DSCF7263.jpeg

71rs:
IMG_2617.jpeg

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
two ways to run wet days:
Street tire at full tread, to evacuate water
Track tires at high temp, to evaporate water

A good aero setup can help with the former, on tires without much water sips. it also helps to run massive rear aero imbalance as well, to increase the static margin

RC-1

71rs:
My car is stock. No aero. 😞

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Hey guys. Trying to find information on the CRS tire in the rain. I could swear somebody has commented on it, particularly in this thread. My search is coming up empty.
Cliff notes?
Headed to Chuckwalla in December and wondering if I should run my track tires or just swap to the OEM stuff.
Have you been to Chuckwalla before.?

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
It does not rain in socal, ever. You should know this. These next 4 days of forecasted rain is just a simple glitch in the matrix.
The first quarter of 2023 would like a word with you

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
It does not rain in socal, ever. You should know this. These next 4 days of forecasted rain is just a simple glitch in the matrix.

@kaj - hit me up on your way back if you need a rest stop. You will be passing right by me.
The first quarter of 2023 would like a word with you
I think he was being sarcastic towards my comment..rightfully so. I still have trouble connecting rain and socal in my mind after spending so many years with no water...and car washes swearing to jesus that they are using well water and cities literally driving around in vans handing out tickets to residents who water their lawn more than once/twice a week.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Guys, what fluids U running for diff + gearbox? Stock weight or sth heavier ? What brands?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

CRS in the rain on a small technical track... no way to connect to track. you can hear me super short shifting. Just no bite. No fun to ME. Lots of people brough all seasons. Lots of spin out and off tracks- not me. Gave more point bys than I have in 40 track days combined. Finished second to last in SCCA TT that day. LOL
I certainly wouldn’t want to compete in that!

Guys, what fluids U running for diff + gearbox? Stock weight or sth heavier ? What brands?
Great question! I was thinking redline or royal purple. They were my go to in my S2K. I was wanting to change my diff fluid

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
Diff: Motul Gear Competition 75w-140 (or any other GL-5 75w-140)
Trans: Amsoil Sigatute (blue version), although ZF, Redline, and Ravenol are probably all good

Yli

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Picking up an AT 3.0 Premium from a friend whom finally got his Porsche allocation. I've got about 10 track days under my belt with another car. Hoping to keep the Supra as stock as possible, while still getting some DE time in (~2-3days/mo).

I'm in the SE, which sees some 90+ humid days. Is the stock cooling enough for that assuming I don't tune? I did some searching and it seems like a few people have had heat soak with a stock setup but most are fine?

I'll be putting Castrol SRF in before my first track day. Will the stock tires (~8k road miles) and pads survive one or two track days? It'll also be at a new track, so my pace will probably be on the slower end.

For next season:

Are CSG C21/C11s fine for street as well as track? I'm fine with the noise, I used to run Pagid RST 3s on my old car. But I know sometimes track pads can have zero cold bite.

Lastly, any recommended tire to replace the stock that do alright for dual duty? Cup 2s? I'll probably swap to a square setup after a season and run more street friendly set on the stocks and some 200TW on the track tires. But, I'd like to get a few track days before I start buying a lot of other stuff. Or at least until I sell off my old car's race spares.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Diff: Motul Gear Competition 75w-140 (or any other GL-5 75w-140)
Trans: Amsoil Sigatute (blue version), although ZF, Redline, and Ravenol are probably all good
Thats why I ask, @razorlab using stock weight 75w90 for diff, I saw bmw guys switiching to 75w140. So dunno what should be better for mixed track/road...

Last edited:

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Picking up an AT 3.0 Premium from a friend whom finally got his Porsche allocation. I've got about 10 track days under my belt with another car. Hoping to keep the Supra as stock as possible, while still getting some DE time in (~2-3days/mo).

I'm in the SE, which sees some 90+ humid days. Is the stock cooling enough for that assuming I don't tune? I did some searching and it seems like a few people have had heat soak with a stock setup but most are fine?

I'll be putting Castrol SRF in before my first track day. Will the stock tires (~8k road miles) and pads survive one or two track days? It'll also be at a new track, so my pace will probably be on the slower end.

For next season:

Are CSG C21/C11s fine for street as well as track? I'm fine with the noise, I used to run Pagid RST 3s on my old car. But I know sometimes track pads can have zero cold bite.

Lastly, any recommended tire to replace the stock that do alright for dual duty? Cup 2s? I'll probably swap to a square setup after a season and run more street friendly set on the stocks and some 200TW on the track tires. But, I'd like to get a few track days before I start buying a lot of other stuff. Or at least until I sell off my old car's race spares.
These are all covered at length in the tracking subforum you're currently visiting. I'd recommend spending some time getting familiar with this forums search quirks.

I run the CSG pads on and off the track. Accelerated wear off track due to suboptimal heat ranges. But otherwise they're fine.

tomfree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium

For next season:

SRF - I highly recommend it and have good experience with it so far. Endless is another good choice - I think Razorlab runs Endless.

Yes, CSG 21/11 are fine for street. They're loud and they dust, but EVERY race pad on the street does that. Dead cold bite requires a teeny bit more pedal pressure from you, but after the first time you hit the pedal, you don't think about it again. I have about 6500 miles on mine, most of that being street. Another good option is Project Mu pads...again, Razorlab runs those, and I'll probably try those when my CSGs die. WAY less expensive.

I'd just get a set of 200TW and use for dual duty. They're plenty streetable, and especially if you're still on a mostly stock suspension. Get your square setup and just keep them on the car :-D My pristine factory wheels/tires with 4K miles on them have been sitting in the basement for 7 months. I've had the "track" wheels on since April.
Sponsored