Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Hey, just realized I run with you. You passed me a bunch this past Tuesday. I'm in a silver F80. I only run LRP and WGI.

Had a rough year running R7s, including this past Tuesday, due to constant vibration issues from pickup, and will move back to strictly running 100-200tw next year.
Want to move to a sports car based platform thats faster than my car, but also cheaper on consumables. My car is 8 years old now so also slightly concerned something major may fail soon despite having zero problems throughout my ownership.

So that's why I'm here. Exploring one of the only options for an upgrade while I run one more year in my current car as I tossed far too much money into it last year and want to get the most of those upgrades.
I think you found your car. In all seriousness, for the price to weight to power ratios, you really should try this car on track with just a set of new rubber, track pads and maybe some sway bars. Grab an Apex square spare wheel setup if you really want to push it. They have tons of research backing up the choices on their wheels. Mod sloooooooowwwww
. That’d be the best way to go. Hindsight 20/20 in my case.

The guys with the above mods, go lap after lap after lap. I’m still adjusting my coilovers, ride height, dampening, spring preload, you name it. And I got Ohlins to keep it simple 😂 If you’re like Bryan, go all in brother. By all means. A lot of these guys have the knowledge & knowhow to do what they want. I have to describe what I’m feeling and go to various mechanics to try & correct it for me. They do a great job at it but = more down time.

Back to you. Like Bryan said, you don’t need the hood. You may not even need the manifold. I would love one! Especially tracking in Florida. But the out of the box Supras go all day long. The less mods the better to get maximum seat time and be way ahead of the pack. My 2 cent

Then do like Rock said and come back. He’s really right on with that statement. You won’t be sorry if you can find one of these at MSRP
Sponsored

maxvelocity66

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I think you found your car. In all seriousness, for the price to weight to power ratios, you really should try this car on track with just a set of new rubber, track pads and maybe some sway bars. Grab an Apex square spare wheel setup if you really want to push it. They have tons of research backing up the choices on their wheels. Mod sloooooooowwwww
. That’d be the best way to go. Hindsight 20/20 in my case.

The guys with the above mods, go lap after lap after lap. I’m still adjusting my coilovers, ride height, dampening, spring preload, you name it. And I got Ohlins to keep it simple 😂 If you’re like Bryan, go all in brother. By all means. A lot of these guys have the knowledge & knowhow to do what they want. I have to describe what I’m feeling and go to various mechanics to try & correct it for me. They do a great job at it but = more down time.

Back to you. Like Bryan said, you don’t need the hood. You may not even need the manifold. I would love one! Especially tracking in Florida. But the out of the box Supras go all day long. The less mods the better to get maximum seat time and be way ahead of the pack. My 2 cent

Then do like Rock said and come back. He’s really right on with that statement. You won’t be sorry if you can find one of these at MSRP
With my F80 I just ran pads, NT01s, and a useless HAS kit for the first 6 years. Last year I went to MCS, SPL, BBK, swaybars, seat, and more aggressive tires.

I agree, regardless of which Supra I decide, I'll likely keep it stock for the first 6 months to get a baseline with the exception of tires and pads like with the F80. But unlike the F80, I won't be waiting 6 years to make major modifications. Haha.

Trying to learn from various mistakes I made with the F80 as I plan this out.

Hoping GRMN is an option but we'll see how that goes. If improved seats and larger brakes are included that would be a major plus.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Whats your fav track mod/s guys?
Seats? Suspension? Aero? :)

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
With my F80 I just ran pads, NT01s, and a useless HAS kit for the first 6 years. Last year I went to MCS, SPL, BBK, swaybars, seat, and more aggressive tires.

I agree, regardless of which Supra I decide, I'll likely keep it stock for the first 6 months to get a baseline with the exception of tires and pads like with the F80. But unlike the F80, I won't be waiting 6 years to make major modifications. Haha.

Trying to learn from various mistakes I made with the F80 as I plan this out.

Hoping GRMN is an option but we'll see how that goes. If improved seats and larger brakes are included that would be a major plus.
A word of advice. Specific high performance upgrades packaged together from the factory like Type-R, Z51, GRMN, Z06/Z07, Vspec etc
 are only worthy TRACK mods if they are also bumping the power levels or drivetrain.

If you are serious about tracking neither seats, nor the aero or wheels, tires or suspension or extra cooling is going to be remotely good enough for serious track work.

Save your money, save the add in, spend it on your own mods. I have friends who chuck the carbon fiber buckets in their Gt4s and puttin on recaros, replace the rear wing to swan neck, z51 owners rip the extra cooling and replace with double radiators spend extra money to get rid of the mag ride for proper coil overs, type r owners turning off track dampers doing weird pedal dance 

Z51 good cause shorter gearing
type r worth it because of the motor
GRMN
unless it has an s58 in there its useless for a track rat

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
I am saying if GRMN is the same powertrain as our Supras but just a bit tighter suspension and similar aero to anniversary edition it’ll be was of money form someone who seriously
tracks their cars considering higher pricing and dealer markups.

Maybe I am out of the loop, is GRMN confirmed to be some insane track weapon or something?

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I am saying if GRMN is the same powertrain as our Supras but just a bit tighter suspension and similar aero to anniversary edition it’ll be was of money form someone who seriously

Maybe I am out of the loop, is GRMN confirmed to be some insane track weapon or something?
Not, speculations at this time. B58 for 99% if the testing mule in other thread happens to be grmn after all. Has some other aero bits and prob 390 brakes btw.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

I was confused about your statement as even the “normal” Supra has proven to be a track weapon. From what we can see so far, the GRMN or whatever it will be called has larger front brakes, front and rear aero and either a whole new rear diff or a very large diff cooling cover.

The rear wing is more cayman GT4 style and looks adjustable. Keep in mind there are pedestrian safety laws that the spoiler has to adhere to, which limits the size.

I’m the most excited to see what the deal is with the rear diff and what suspension upgrades it has.