Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Heading to the dealer tomorrow for a new battery. I’m going to wait on the swap while it’s completed. The new battery is in stock.
~ All went well today at the dealer. The battery didn’t end up needing replaced after a thorough testing. Holding a strong charge. They reset the battery error and all is as normal.
Sponsored

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Has anyone else experienced this denotation on their dash? The car is a 2021 only has 100 miles on it but has been started and driven.

9B3B87B5-402F-4BF4-863E-A1845C042790.jpeg

I placed a new bmw trickle charger on the car until stating, fully charged. Dash error reappears.

Thoughts?
I reached 100 miles today and I now have this "Replace battery" message. What was the reset they did with your car?

OP
OP
Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I reached 100 miles today and I now have this "Replace battery" message. What was the reset they did with your car?
~ The original battery had to be disconnected and charged to 100% before the factory Toyota software would allow the error dashboard light to reset according to the Supra Technician. Total time, less than an hour.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I just bought my 2021 on Friday and it had this. It sat on the lot long enough that the voltage dropped below the threshold and pissed off the ECU. The dealer charged the battery and then the service tech had to clear the error which took about 20 min.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
~ The original battery had to be disconnected and charged to 100% before the factory Toyota software would allow the error dashboard light to reset according to the Supra Technician. Total time, less than an hour.
So basically disconnect the battery charge it and then after a few hours reconnect.

I gather the ecu is reset after disconnecting the main battery.... Would this be correct assumption?

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
So basically disconnect the battery charge it and then after a few hours reconnect.

I gather the ecu is reset after disconnecting the main battery.... Would this be correct assumption?
As I understand, the ECU reads it as a new battery so you have to register it, which you can do with BimmerLink,

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
As I understand, the ECU reads it as a new battery so you have to register it, which you can do with BimmerLink,
Hey guys, hoping you can help with a few questions:

1) I have an old charger which can has a mode for AGM batteries. Can this be used to bring it to full charge?

2) If we decide to take it to the dealer at some point and let the alternator charge, what is the danger of actually having a dead battery? What voltages should it read to indicate it is fully charged?

The dealers around here suck so either want to address it myself or wait until the break-in service at 1200 miles (which will likely be several months away).

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just tested the battery and got 12.35v off / 14.71v on. Looking online that seems to be about a 50% charge for an AGM battery.

I'm thinking to just let it charge up as we drive and measure again with some more miles on it.

Assuming it gets closer to full, just wait until the 1200 mile service to have the dealer resolve.

Note, the replace battery message came up after it was in the shop getting PPF for a week so I suspect they ran down the battery keeping doors open for a while as it was likely on the low threshold before it went in.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Just tested the battery and got 12.35v off / 14.71v on. Looking online that seems to be about a 50% charge for an AGM battery.

I'm thinking to just let it charge up as we drive and measure again with some more miles on it.

Assuming it gets closer to full, just wait until the 1200 mile service to have the dealer resolve.

Note, the replace battery message came up after it was in the shop getting PPF for a week so I suspect they ran down the battery keeping doors open for a while as it was likely on the low threshold before it went in.
There is no 1200 mile service. That's just when the recommended engine break-in ends. First service is at 10k miles/12 months ownership.

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 Z06, 17 VW Beetle Dune, 11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR, 15 RDX
Is Toyota paying for any of these batteries. Why I ask is that I purchased a 2020 not from a dealer and battery not charging up to full voltage and battery is warm?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Is Toyota paying for any of these batteries. Why I ask is that I purchased a 2020 not from a dealer and battery not charging up to full voltage and battery is warm?
Yeah the battery should be under warranty. You might not drive enough to get it fully charged up. You could buy a tender and fully charge it, or take it to a dealer.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is no 1200 mile service. That's just when the recommended engine break-in ends. First service is at 10k miles/12 months ownership.
Wow really? I guess I was thinking of ///M cars but I thought people here were bringing it in for an oil change at that mileage.
That said, should I just charge and get bimmerlink to register?
Sponsored