Sunday I say Goodbye to the Supra

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
My commute is 40 miles each way. So far the Supra has been perfect for it. Helps that I came from a Miata though. That car definitely beat me up too much by comparison.

I can’t stand Teslas, but that’s more of an emotional response to not wanting all cars to be soulless appliances. Doesn’t help that so many of the owners can be insufferable about the “superiority” of their cars.

On the flip side EVs make sense to me. Once battery tech is ready for mass adoption. There’s something very relaxing about gliding down the road with no drivetrain vibration or noise. Great for commuting in comfort.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I’mma car guy it’s just different that’s all. The instant tq is just awesome to play with. I smoked a 700hp C5 S/c’d Calloway Vette cuz he was spinning and I was hookin and bookin. He looked very disappointed to get beat by an SUv LOL

Hell we have a model Y long range as well as my performance and I added the acceleration boost option to that just for when I drive it!

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Oh yeah did I mention it drives itself? 😂
I wouldn’t say it’s soulless. I have a blast driving it. I had mine in the mountains and backroads in GA and it was fast and fun. The regen makes cornering so smooth

Last edited:

Natedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche
On the flip side EVs make sense to me. Once battery tech is ready for mass adoption. There’s something very relaxing about gliding down the road with no drivetrain vibration or noise. Great for commuting in comfort.
I'd rather listen to an engine than tires going down the road and wind noise.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Just 6 or 7 years ago, the only Tesla's that I would see in Southern Cali was the Model S sedan. They were rare enough so that they solicited plenty of attention. However, today, every third vehicle I see on the road is a white model 3 or Y. They are like the Camrys and RAV4s of the 90s - invisible because they were everywhere.

In a way, Tesla Performance trims are like "sleepers" in which owners would stuff a much larger engine in a car that had 100 HP from the factory. The idea was that that "invisible" car would shock the driver of a muscle car.

But I was always the type of person who wanted a vehicle that was "special" and fairly rare.
I feel the same way, today about my Supra. While bystanders and other drivers ignore the gazillion Teslas on the street, those bystanders can't help but stare and even stop me in a parking lot to chat about my car.

And then there's the massive Cars & Coffee events - lots of them. Their focus is mostly on sportscars, many of which are unique. Hundreds and sometimes thousands of people spend hours checking out the cars and engines. Same model car owners often meetup down the street and drive into the C&C parking lot as people video the "parade". It is an amazing experience that I thoroughly enjoy.

I don't know if there are any massive C&Cs with only fast EVs in it, but if there were, I'd have to pass unless those EVs were made by McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, and Lamborghini.

Last edited:

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
It’s been an awesome car to own and it’s one of the ones I’ve kept the longest. Like many here we love cars and I love working on new projects. I will say I am going to miss this one though, it’s special. I was going to just keep it but someone made a full asking price offer and I couldn’t say no to that. Well I guess I could have but I didn’t.. I’m ready to move on to the next project (my new Tesla Model Y Performance) for now but I think I want to try out a Model S Plaid so that will most likely be the Supra replacement. We are on our 3rd Tesla and they have been really great (2 Model Y’s and 3 Performance) so the Plaid should be a rip! This has been an awesome community and lots of folks here have been super helpful so that was much appreciated.. I’m sure I’ll come back around to another one someday but for now it’s bittersweet.
Tesla=Boring!

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Our new neighbors that just moved in both husband and wife in their early 30’s with kids both work from home so they don’t commute and they both own Tesla’s. A Model Y and the new Model 3. It’s more than the commute. If you’re not a car person, it’s just practicality to never have to get gas and charge your car at home.
Absolutely, most of their buyers are folks who don't care about driving. I know that's changing but I'm trying to hoard as many manual cars as I can because every year we have less and less.

I'm just saying for me, the other cars I own are much harder to get back into if I were to sell them so the Supra is the one on the chopping block always.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
If I had to commute a lot, oh hell YUS to Tesla. I fortunately work close to home and can have a few different types of cars I like, w/in my price range.

Gt500 all day
Dude at the track had a badass GT350. He owned a GT500 previously but preferred the GT350. He worked on the car trackside (in the paddock), was nice as shit. I’m not a big Ford fan but my wife sure liked the car. Ugggggghhhhh…..

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Absolutely, most of their buyers are folks who don't care about driving. I know that's changing but I'm trying to hoard as many manual cars as I can because every year we have less and less.

I'm just saying for me, the other cars I own are much harder to get back into if I were to sell them so the Supra is the one on the chopping block always.
Don’t be surprised though. We can probably look up some numbers, but I’m pretty sure there have been less MKV Supras made than there ever were MKIV Supras made. I have a feeling the MKV will be hard to get a hold off in 10 years because of the low production count.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Don’t be surprised though. We can probably look up some numbers, but I’m pretty sure there have been less MKV Supras made than there ever were MKIV Supras made. I have a feeling the MKV will be hard to get a hold off in 10 years because of the low production count.
Not true. The mkv already out sold the entire life span of the mkiv in the US in like year 2 or 3 of production.

Mkiv was under 12000 sold in the US between 93-98.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Comparing the Tesla and Supra I continue to remember a quote from the great philosopher Mr. Tony Stark…

1713118171092-wm.gif
Right now, there are hybrid sportscars, but they are very expensive. Battery technology would have to improve quite a bit to result in an EV Supra that weighed the same as our Supras and have higher performance.
There may be an EV Helcat at some point, but for the time being, it will be massively heavy.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Right now, there are hybrid sportscars, but they are very expensive. Battery technology would have to improve quite a bit to result in an EV Supra that weighed the same as our Supras and have higher performance.
There may be an EV Helcat at some point, but for the time being, it will be massively heavy.
Plus, ours sound waaaaay better!
Sponsored