Supra vs C8 Corvette

Discussion in 'Supra versus... (no street racing stories)' started by Powaup, Jul 19, 2019.

?

Which would you rather have

1. C8

37.7%
  2. Supra

62.3%
  1. Toyotawild

Toyotawild Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
    Liked:
    And from what I am seeing on the new c8. I'm not seeing anything better than the c7 except a mid engine. C8 is heavier and longer wheel base

2. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Not much different in weight (according to google)...

Chevrolet Corvette (C7)
    Length 176.9 in (4,493 mm)
    Width 73.9 in (1,877 mm)
    Height 48.6 in (1,234 mm)
    Curb weight 3,347 lb (1,518 kg) (Base) 3,444 lb (1,562 kg) (Z51) 3,523 lb (1,598 kg) (Z06) 3,560 lb (1,615 kg) (ZR1)

z06 0-60 according to GM is 3.2 so the MR is giving a touch better traction in c8.

But the move to MR wasn't really about performance.

3. Toyotawild

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    150lbs heavier roughly

4. Toyotawild

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    C8 3366 dry weight. Why give us a dry weight anyway. Dont try and church it up Dirt.

johnny_10196 and gymratter like this.
  5. HKz

HKz Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    Liked:
    wasn't my point....I was questioning why the C8 has to be even spec'd out to "match" the Supra which doens't have any special equipment to begin with...the C8 has the axle lift and DCT...the Supra has heated seats and lane keeping assist....yea we really need to spec out a Vette...lol...If the Supra doesn't come with a manual transmission, there is really nothing that it has as an advantage over a base $60 K Vette, merely just a better MSRP which means practically nothing considering most of us will be leasing/financing so the monthly payments aren't going to be drastically different and if you could afford either of them outright pretty sure I know which one you're gonna choose...hell the Vette can carry a full set of clubs in the trunk without having to take the drivers out unlike the Supra and it is mid engine..

Craigy, jm6k and BobDigi5060 like this.
  6. BobDigi5060

BobDigi5060 Active Member

Car(s):
    13' G37X, 03' G35
    Liked:
    C8 leading the poll once again :stirthepot:

Powaup likes this.
  7. Toyotawild

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Good. Can you say mkiv fever all over again. History repeats itself

8. Toyotawild

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    To be honest. If I didnt have my name on a LE I'd be waiting until I can sit in the c8 just off specs alone.
    I like the looks of the car except the rear end. Agh it makes me cringe. I'd have to see it in person.
    The supra has a strange looking front end but I've got used to it.
    That c8 looks like a real booger to work on that engine tho. Cant get to the thing.

BobDigi5060 likes this.
  9. whostorm05

whostorm05 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged, Trans Am
    Liked:
    The configurator has option prices now?

10. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    I am #1 at my dealer as of right now. A friend of mine is either #2 or #3.

This car just ticks all of the boxes for me, plus it looks fantastic. Yeaaaah the rear lights are a little camaro / corporate chevyish, but I can get over that-- the rest of the car is so dramatic.

No I don't expect to pay "under $60k." At this moment, I expect my build will be somewhere between $65,000 and $70,000. Pricing is coming soon.

I am a huge, huge cheapskate. But watching that live unveil a few nights ago, I was instantly sold. Well, maybe not instantly, but after we were done with the half-hour astronaut schpiel. :rofl: Seriously though, after I sold my last car, I've been sitting on the fence wayyy too long.

True mid-engine sportscar geometry and looks, aluminum build, big torquey v8 in the back with a ton of power, real-deal dual clutch transaxle (speaking of, bruh, where is @Levi :D ), immense styling, well equipped standard, thick ass michelins, removable roof, available front end lifter, somehow losing that white hair gold chain old man image, what's not to like.

Hopefully I'll have my car sometime before March 2020, but it's all still nebulous right now.

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

11. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    #161 Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Hahahaha, apparently this is a merge of my thread back over a year ago. Pretty ridiculous.

Not sure if all of these have been answered or not.

Base car comes with mechanical LSD. Z51 just upgrades that to an electronically-controlled LSD.

Also FWIW mid-engine puts weight out back so an LSD is not a necessity generally. IIRC, McLaren skimps on LSD on a few of their models.

Corvette is using a new 8 speed transaxle dual clutch from Tremec. Not in-house. If it was in-house Chevy I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole. :fear:

That's the thing. We knew the FT1 was going to be paddle shift. I assumed that would be a proper dual clutch, not a slushbox (even if it's a good slush). I understand the plight of the manual enthusiasts, but a ZF auto is not even an enthusiast box.

Shortened that a little. Yeah it's going to be heavy, however IMO it's still pretty competitive looking at what else is out there. NSX is 3,800 lbs. R8 is similar, 3,500++ depending on which one. Nissan GTR, BMW M4 each close to 4,000 lbs or more. Only comparable cars that are really lighter are Porsche 911 and maybe a McLaren 570 if you count that as comparable.

FWIW, the top of the valve covers on this car are going to be under the top of the tires.

Base model is actually pretty well equipped. The order guide is out if you want to look it up. Keyless open and push to start, bose 10 speaker premium audio, leather, automatic dual zone climate, android auto/apple carplay, power seats, LED headlights, michelins, etc. As mentioned above, you do get mechanical LSD on all trims standard.

Yeah, it's a GM product, I have to admit I'm a little nervous. However, I do think they've done their homework on this car. They really have to in this day and age or they'll get shit on by social media. Plus they've had mules running around since like 2015. If all else fails, it's got a warranty.

490 horsepower/ 465 torque without the exhaust. I think it'll be enough. NPP exhaust adds 5 horses and 5 torques. Also the exhaust is a stand-alone option on all trims if you don't get Z51.

jm6k and BobDigi5060 like this.
  12. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Yeah, you know if the mk5 ever gets a targa option it's going to be like a $5k+ one

jm6k and Craigy like this.
  13. BobDigi5060

BobDigi5060 Active Member

Car(s):
    13' G37X, 03' G35
    Liked:
    @Craigy do you sell Chevys?

I started selling (Nissans) and for the first time on July 6th. I've sold 8 cars so far two of which we're half deals. So six to myself. All have been walk ins I will get a Facebook again soon. The pay period ends today and I'm looking at a $3000 check come Friday (weekly pay). Pretty good money for West Texas. I love my job, but not the tan I have acquired.

:patriot:

Craigy likes this.
  14. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    No, some idiot on Instagram made some prices up.

justbake and Craigy like this.
  15. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    I do not!! I am an attorney. Though I did sell cars one summer after high school. Tough work.

Sounds like you're doing great. 8 cars in just a couple weeks is solid work for a new salesman. Put that SPF on and stay hydrated.

BobDigi5060 likes this.