Targa Top: do you think it’s coming and would you buy one?

Do you think Toyota is going to make a targa version? Would you buy one?

• Total voters

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Firstly, I know for a fact that major Telcos get devices early to test on their networks. Secondly, I have first hand experience in dealing with embargoed information that is well in advance of public knowledge. That's called being an insider. In the case above, those sales people are the very insiders you speak of!

Just because your only avenue for knowledge is unofficial leaks, and things you read on the internet, it doesn't mean everyone else's is too. 🤷‍♂️
For sure select people in telcos get it earlier, alpha/beta testing, demo, telco crapware install/test reasons, etc.. Hence, my disclaimer of "he may be an insider". There are many people who claim things, you finished with lol so, I was being silly as in your friend may be one of those that don't have 1st hand knowledge of things, yet act like it.
Anyhow, targa ain't happening. I have 0 evidence to back it up.
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Anyhow, targa ain't happening. I have 0 evidence to back it up.
Yeah.. the only evidence I have is that my order is getting closer to being build confirmed. I'm telling you, as soon as it is confirmed, Toyota's gonna roll out the Targa! 😂

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah.. the only evidence I have is that my order is getting closer to being build confirmed. I'm telling you, as soon as it is confirmed, Toyota's gonna roll out the Targa! 😂
And you're sure you ordered it from a Toyota dealer and not from ToyAuto dealer?

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm a likely no on the targa top. At this point, only an LCI update or a substantial performance boost would get me out of my car right now and even then the price would need to be somewhat reasonable.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Just got back from the dealer and there was a "all hands-on deck" meeting called when I was waiting in the lobby...when they came out, I overheard a couple of them talking about the targa top. I asked them if it was going to happen, and they said they couldn't tell me. So I rephrased my question and asked if they believe that a targa option would be available and they both smiled and nodded yes. Take this with a grain of salt, but it does seem that it's at least in the talks.
FYI, I went and talked to one of my 'people' about the targa top production yesterday afternoon...and he also said that it's very likely it may become an option some time in 2024, for either the 2024 or 2025 model year.

Once again, it's always hearsay until TMC makes an official announcement...but signs are pointing more and more to it actually happening. :headbang:

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Oh I love that Targa would definitely buy one, maybe 2! But alas even if they made it you wouldn’t be able to get one less than $25k over sticker cuz this car market Sux.

cam

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Premium 3.0 Red
It only makes sense to make one, the underlying structure to support it is already there (being born from a roadster).

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
It only makes sense to make one, the underlying structure to support it is already there (being born from a roadster).
This isn't true. The z4 has more support. Also, the sema one off had to add more support when they cut the roof.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
This isn't true. The z4 has more support. Also, the sema one off had to add more support when they cut the roof.
I was thinking about how Toyota go about their business and well.. I think it points to a definite possibility of a targa.

Here me out.

Firstly, I don't ever believe what Toyota says. They have mislead everyone before so their credibility is zero in my book.

Now I know its a long shot but Toyota went out of their way to say there was no manual all the while building samples with a manual transmission. Then a few years later they released the manual. Same story with orange paintwork. Early on, Toyota created a commercial featuring an orange colour.. and years later they make it available (not 100% confirmed everywhere but I think its a sure bet).

And then there's the targa, Toyota clearly commissioned a targa to be built and now a few years later.. yep.. I think they're going to release it, just like the two examples above.

Beyond this, everyone talks about an agreement between Toyota and BMW to not build a targa but I think that's just (albeit reasonable) conjecture. If we take into account the dismal Z4 sales, we see that a targa isn't going to cannibalize BMWs market because.. there is no market to canibalize!

Perfect storm? Wild speculation?

The only thing I believe goes against this thinking is that beyond additional support (which they have already explored in the SEMA sample) the interior may need some work to ensure it is weather proof.

🤷‍♂️

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think its happening. Maybe not in 2024 but mark my words, between now and the end of the mark V Supra's run, I think the targa will make an appearance.

SKILMATIC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5
I honestly don’t know, but I’d buy another one if they did. Wish that was an option cause you have 2 of the same options there.

Supraluv

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra premium , Z4 Coupe , 2002 MRoadster
I’m with the group that says no and no,

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
They'd also need to do some magic for how to store it in the trunk..
Sponsored