Targa Top: do you think it’s coming and would you buy one?

Do you think Toyota is going to make a targa version? Would you buy one?

• Total voters

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
I mean it is suspicious, but his entire job is to gauge market interest and also create hype/product to increase marketability.

I’m just not too sure a targa will actually happen (unless the car is redesigned for safety since the roofs are structural in these cars) because it doesn’t match his earlier statement to change the market to compete and improve their model line up with tech being researched on the GR program.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Supra based on a convertible Z4?
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Supra based on a convertible Z4?
Yes, it's based off that. It also has a structural roof. The body is very very different, as well as the hard points.

James

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Motorcycles
OP
OP
DDantas

DDantas

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 bmw 328d

Last 2 minutes of the video. Sounds like it’s happening
This makes me think even more that Toyota will make it. This guy's reaction, plus the fact that Toyota brought out the SEMA concept they made, and let journalists drive it (a year after they debuted it!), makes me think they're putting some serious thought into building it. According to the article, Toyota put in a lot more work than just tearing the roof off, they made sure to ensure the structural integrity, it doesn't seem like a hack job.

"Because of the absence of a solid roof, Toyota had to ensure the structural integrity of the Supra was not compromised. They reinforced the car with additional metal to the engine bay, around the headliner, and also down below in the undercarriage to prevent the frame from possibly crumpling." (from the article in my first post).

I don't think they'd throw all that engineering work. Plus this proof of concept was completed in 2020, so we're talking about 2 plus years of time since to improve on this concept and figure out manufacturing. Maybe they used the Z4's convertible as a starting point?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I don't think they'd throw all that engineering work.
I'm not suggesting they will or won't make the car but ELL OH FUCKING ELL.

Hundreds of millions in R&D is spent every year by.. well.. every giant corporation.

OP
OP
DDantas

DDantas

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 bmw 328d
I'm not suggesting they will or won't make the car but ELL OH FUCKING ELL.

Hundreds of millions in R&D is spent every year by.. well.. every giant corporation.
More so meant the engineering planning, schematics, etc made to build the SEMA concept. They wouldn't be starting from a blank slate. We know they have some base engineering plans since at least 2020. They can very well throw that out and say it was a cool concept but it wouldn't make sense, but *if* they wanted to make one, then they have a starting point.

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
Yes, it's based off that. It also has a structural roof. The body is very very different, as well as the hard points.
No the hard points are the same. Also, both the Z4 and Supra were developed independently from said hard points, and obviously using BMW running gear.

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
Why not just send a test car to the Corvette factory and let them do all the work….? No sense in wasting the funds on configuration of the removable top.

I’d take one….

Maybe let Mazda have one to give it the MX-5 RF treatment.

Just keep all soft top options off the table please.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Just got back from the dealer and there was a "all hands-on deck" meeting called when I was waiting in the lobby...when they came out, I overheard a couple of them talking about the targa top. I asked them if it was going to happen, and they said they couldn't tell me. So I rephrased my question and asked if they believe that a targa option would be available and they both smiled and nodded yes. Take this with a grain of salt, but it does seem that it's at least in the talks.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Dealership employees know as much about what’s coming down the pipeline as a AT&T employee knows what the next iPhone or Galaxy will have.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Umm.. I have a mate who works for a telco and he always knows stuff before its public. lol.
He must be reading.. wait for it... the leaks online.. I'm on Samsung since S1, and S23 details leaked ages ago with specs styling, etc. Latest is S22 for those who don't care about Samsung phones.. he may be an insider. I'm talking in general.
Also, enthusiasts.. if you watch spy shots you know what's on the pipeline for cars unless it's the new darn in-house tracks OEMs built for anonymity...
Good thing there's ring spy cams as in Nurburgring nordschleife.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
He must be reading.. wait for it... the leaks online.. I'm on Samsung since S1, and S23 details leaked ages ago with specs styling, etc. Latest is S22 for those who don't care about Samsung phones.. he may be an insider. I'm talking in general.
Also, enthusiasts.. if you watch spy shots you know what's on the pipeline for cars unless it's the new darn in-house tracks OEMs built for anonymity...
Good thing there's ring spy cams as in Nurburgring nordschleife.
Firstly, I know for a fact that major Telcos get devices early to test on their networks. Secondly, I have first hand experience in dealing with embargoed information that is well in advance of public knowledge. That's called being an insider. In the case above, those sales people are the very insiders you speak of!

Just because your only avenue for knowledge is unofficial leaks, and things you read on the internet, it doesn't mean everyone else's is too. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored