The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
That was an exclusive special invite test drive like what most manufactures do. I would pay more attention to the unbias test reviews.

By the magnitude of how many A90's are being manufactured, the A90 could and should outsell the A80. It only sold 11,239 during a span of 6 yrs. If not, it'll be a colossal failure.

http://mkiv.com/specifications/sales_numbers/retail_sales.html
I believe some of our EU members have said its coming up in March or May? :dunno:

They could, but that was never the goal of the Supra. Toyota wants a some what afford car so more people can have the chance to obtain one. Look at the LC for example. It's too damn expensive and has not even came close to it's sales goal.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/10/usa-canada-lexus-lc500-sales-stats-monthly-yearly/

2017- 1,731
2018- 1,979

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/03/can-sports-car-sell-well-2017-lexus-lc-high-hopes/
I wonder when the LC is getting the axe? :lol:
Sponsored

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I believe some of our EU members have said its coming up in March or May? :dunno:

I wonder when the LC is getting the axe? :lol:
I think the LC will be around for a while considering it launched already with the future of the car industry Hybrids. Now if the question is when will the V8 in the LC get axed, I will say after the LCF the regular LC might loose the V8. The next IS is the car I'm most interested in, because it will tell us the future or how to predict what's coming to Lexus fun cars.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I think the LC will be around for a while considering it launched already with the future of the car industry Hybrids. Now if the question is when will the V8 in the LC get axed, I will say after the LCF the regular LC might loose the V8. The next IS is the car I'm most interested in, because it will tell us the future or how to predict what's coming to Lexus fun cars.
I would think it would be the LC500h. Doesn't that model only make up around 10% or some of the LC's sales?

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I would think it would be the LC500h. Doesn't that model only make up around 10% or some of the LC's sales?[/QUOT
You have a point. But, I don't see Lexus touching the LC500h.They might play around with the multistage system to reduce/remove the cvt feel and do something with the power to keep it going.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
This is possible but its more likely to replace the V8 as the base LC
That would make me sad. There are those that still love a NA V8.

If it were up too me:
TT V6 - $80k
NA V8 - $90k
TT V8 - $120k

I also see a lot of people on ClubLexus expressing the same / similar view.

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
Whenever anyone says the MKV lost the look of the Supra and tarnished everything the car stands for, always remember, they could've added 4 doors and made it a sedan lol

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG
Or you know the eclipse... lol it’s a fucking suv now

Therealist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 Toyota Supra
I Think your forgetting the rest of the world, where the MKIV sold in much higher numbers and for longer.
Worldwide MKIV Supra Production By Region (Ex USA)
Canada: 227
Europe: 1671
GCC (Gulf Corp Council): 120
GEN (Europe General): 27
Japan: 31,575
Pre-Production: 62
Unknown: 102

Numerically Toyota need to sell 45,000 MkV's to be more successful than the MkIV. However that's totally irrelevant as its all about profit from the project - and comparing 1993 MkIV profit to 2019 MKV profit is essentially impossible. Its its own project today, it cant be compared to the MkIV.

Its important to remember, that based on its production and regional target estimates, the MKV could fail in the USA and still be an overall success.

Its pretty clear by design, that its target market isn't the USA. It has better cultural appeal elsewhere, and will likely create an order backlog overall, meaning the USA and Europe will have longer delivery delays (post launch models) as a result.
Judging by pricing I wouldn’t say Europe is being targeted. It will be interesting to see what the Japanese pricing is but so far the only good pricing is the US market

Supra Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supras
I Think your forgetting the rest of the world, where the MKIV sold in much higher numbers and for longer.
Worldwide MKIV Supra Production By Region (Ex USA)
Canada: 227
Europe: 1671
GCC (Gulf Corp Council): 120
GEN (Europe General): 27
Japan: 31,575
Pre-Production: 62
Unknown: 102

Numerically Toyota need to sell 45,000 MkV's to be more successful than the MkIV. However that's totally irrelevant as its all about profit from the project - and comparing 1993 MkIV profit to 2019 MKV profit is essentially impossible. Its its own project today, it cant be compared to the MkIV.

Its important to remember, that based on its production and regional target estimates, the MKV could fail in the USA and still be an overall success.

Its pretty clear by design, that its target market isn't the USA. It has better cultural appeal elsewhere, and will likely create an order backlog overall, meaning the USA and Europe will have longer delivery delays (post launch models) as a result.
One aspect to note is that when you get down to the cream of the crop MKIV production numbers, ei. LHD TT 6sp, are a whole lot smaller at roughly 4,000. Though this has less to do with the success topic and more looking at it from the enthusiast perspective.
Sponsored