The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Also i wouldn't see a point in making another sedan with the same thing the GS-F provides which is just a 4 door RC-F. What would adding the ISF to their line up with the same motor do for them? Just different exteriors/interiors choices for consumers. Personally I don't see a point in doing that. So if they do make an ISF I see it coming in with a new engine.
Yeah I don't really understand the whole need for different exteriors/interiors on cars. Why doesn't everyone just buy the same thing? Not sure why most companies seem to have so many models in their lineups ;)

Just look at Mercedes. They have an entire range featuring the same supercharged v8's that come in different size and shape packages.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Getting off topic, but I wish they would have called the "GS-F" a GS500 and saved the GS-F nameplate for a V8 turbo model.

Word on ClubLexus has it that a V8 turbo wasn't ready in time, so instead Lexus just throw in the same old RC-F engine into the GS-F. But the next gen GS-F should be a V8 turbo.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Seems like I read something somewhere suggesting that there is going to be a higher-performance GS-F after this one, like a GS-F plus or something. Can't seem to find the article now. I might just be making it all up.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ haha yeah so many rumors and updates it's hard to keep up. The Lexus LF-LC (maybe SC-F) production is rumored to have a V8 TT producing up to 600hp. I see them also using a V8 TT on the next gen LS possibly an LS-F. Kind of like what they have done withe RC-F and GS-F.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
The LF-LC concept most likely be called the LC500 and LC500h.

awegrzyn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
Few Observations about MKV after owning MKIVs for 25 years.

1. How is this new Toyota different? TVR Griffith is the exact same car. Same lines, same proportions, same long front, same Doge Viper lines. Same exact concept with Toyota touches.

2. 2 seater, with automatic transmission is probably Toyotas "under promise, over achieve" strategy.

3. 355HP is way more than we need. The best Toyota Supras I owned were unmolested 320hp cars. My race car has about 120HP and is the coolest car I ever driven. One can outdrive others in a 355HP car. Everything is in:driveability, balance, feel, characteristics, reliability, and fun as oppose to outright power. Toyota rightly so ignored kids asking for 500 HP.

4. Toyota lost money on the MKIV. They will need to make MKV for a broader market. They should not compete with any other car at all. That was MKIV's biggest advantage. The car was unique and I would never exchange my Supras for any kind of Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, or any other junk.

5. Toyota always delivers their stuff right for the recession. The new Supra will be no different. They base their market assumptions on current facts, instead of future predictions. You got to build things in recession for the boom. They do the opposite. Asians are notorious for these things.

6. Using BMW interior would be a mistake.

7. When MKIV came out, it was not liked at all. It was ahead of it's time. The rear look weird. Girlsih. It took years for it to grow on people. Same thing could be here.

8. FT1 concept car destroyed MKV. There is no way to fill shoes this big anymore.

9. Don't buy the first year model. There will be better options down the line.

10. Don't make the same mistake twice. Do not molest your cars. You will regret it. Do not touch a single thing on the new car.

11. Chances are MKIV could become the superior car over MKV.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
1. How is this new Toyota different? TVR Griffith is the exact same car. Same lines, same proportions, same long front, same Doge Viper lines. Same exact concept with Toyota touches.

2. 2 seater, with automatic transmission is probably Toyotas "under promise, over achieve" strategy.

3. 355HP is way more than we need. The best Toyota Supras I owned were unmolested 320hp cars. My race car has about 120HP and is the coolest car I ever driven. One can outdrive others in a 355HP car. Everything is in:driveability, balance, feel, characteristics, reliability, and fun as oppose to outright power. Toyota rightly so ignored kids asking for 500 HP.

4. Toyota lost money on the MKIV. They will need to make MKV for a broader market. They should not compete with any other car at all. That was MKIV's biggest advantage. The car was unique and I would never exchange my Supras for any kind of Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, or any other junk.

5. Toyota always delivers their stuff right for the recession. The new Supra will be no different. They base their market assumptions on current facts, instead of future predictions. You got to build things in recession for the boom. They do the opposite. Asians are notorious for these things.

6. Using BMW interior would be a mistake.

7. When MKIV came out, it was not liked at all. It was ahead of it's time. The rear look weird. Girlsih. It took years for it to grow on people. Same thing could be here.

8. FT1 concept car destroyed MKV. There is no way to fill shoes this big anymore.

9. Don't buy the first year model. There will be better options down the line.

10. Don't make the same mistake twice. Do not molest your cars. You will regret it. Do not touch a single thing on the new car.

11. Chances are MKIV could become the superior car over MKV.
Number 9 is the hardest truth pill for me to swallow. Number 5 is also a bitter pill. Why do you think they plan these cars around recessions?

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
:popcorn: #3, lol that's your opinion, 150 HP isn't enough for my baby niece, give me 335 HP and above.

Last edited:

awegrzyn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
They don't plan them around recessions. It's just how it comes out naturally for them. They check the market like this: Stock market up-check, unemployment down-check, cheap credit-check. Wow, we are doing good. Wrong. This is an indication of a TOP. But to them it's GO time. So they build a car. How long it takes to build it? About 4-5 years. That's when the downturn starts. Last time the Japanese YEN went up so much, the dealers in US had to drop the price of the Supra by $5000 to get rid of them from the showroom. They were selling 1997 cars in 1998 as brand new, because no one was buying in 1997.

#11 Elaboration - The MKIV was a technical winner. It outperformed a lot of cars in many different categories of that era. Very few people know, but MKIV held a shortest distance braking record for 15 years. No one could match it. It took 15 years and $500,000 car to do it (Porsche). I always smiled when I saw guys pay $3000 for Big Brake Kits, knowing very well, they are making their cars worse, not better, and they are paying for it.

Then there were hidden gems in the Supra that came out later on. The engine itself. Toyota knew all along, but never said it. The car was setup for understeer with a reason. They knew people will add power to the car and they wanted to keep everyone safe.

Because MKIV excelled in so many ways, it will be hard to beat it now.

The best thing is to be patient and see what comes out. The good news is that MKV is not positioned to be a super car. Those are never great.

MKV needs to aspire to what MKIV became: The Cool Car.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The car was setup for understeer with a reason. They knew people will add power to the car and they wanted to keep everyone safe.
THIS

Ever driven even a stock JZA80 RZ with a square wheel/tyre set up?

Thing is wonderful, balanced, dances between under and oversteer on the limit beautifully. I now only run 275/30/18 on mine square.

Feels as playful as a GT86 but with more lifeless steering lol

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
They don't plan them around recessions. It's just how it comes out naturally for them. They check the market like this: Stock market up-check, unemployment down-check, cheap credit-check. Wow, we are doing good. Wrong. This is an indication of a TOP. But to them it's GO time. So they build a car. How long it takes to build it? About 4-5 years. That's when the downturn starts. Last time the Japanese YEN went up so much, the dealers in US had to drop the price of the Supra by $5000 to get rid of them from the showroom. They were selling 1997 cars in 1998 as brand new, because no one was buying in 1997.

Read this; http://www.motortrend.com/news/supra-heated-economy-reference-mark/

awegrzyn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
Thing is wonderful, balanced, dances between under and oversteer on the limit beautifully. I now only run 275/30/18 on mine square.
By "square" you mean zero toe in, zero toe out, front and rear right? That balances the feel of it, but the car still PUSHES due to weight ratio alone. It's nose heavy. It was never a race car to begin with.

@Lexusisf, yes I saw that article yesterday. It made me jealous. Was hoping I was the only one that realized this.