The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like the C7 lights on the Corvette. I didn't At first when i saw one in person during the day. But I was driving behind one at night the other day and actually liked them.

The FT1 concept light are nice but will probably change. The GT86 concept also had some similar tail lights but changed once production came out
Sponsored

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i hope there will be less change on the FT1 vs 86 since it will probably cost at twice as much.

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
Goes without saying that the MKIV Supra with its 2JZ basically has hero status, especially that engine. So it's great that the Supra was able to develop such a great reputation as a result, but at the same time that's a high standard to live up to for the MKV Supra.

You guys think the next Supra can possibly live up to the name, especially if its engine won't achieve the 2JZ's level of performance? Might be hard for the car to emerge from the MKIV's shadows in the eyes of the public?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
If Toyota is going to have $60k+ of MSRP for this car, no question the MkV will blow away its predecessors.

IMO the MkIV's image/shadow/legend etc. has gradually faded over the years, forgotten by most of the public and even its target market. It's very rare to see one and when I occasionally do it's less of a "wow" and more of a "that's interesting." Not ten years ago the Supra looked really sharp, but these days it oozes 90s. The nice turbos have been locked away, while all the other ones have been run into the ground.

In order for MkV to live up to the legend, it's going to have to stand tall and above its counterparts as it did before. Right now rumors look like it's going to do that.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree. If it rocks a Supra nameplate, it must at least meet and exceed what the 2JZ is capable of. I'm sure we'll be seeing 2JZ swaps in this thing either way unless it comes with an inline 6.

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
The engine may not become the legend that the 2JZ has taken on, but really what modern day engine is capable of that anymore? Companies are all about making more universal engines that can be plugged into multiple models of their lineup.

But even if the engine doesn't become that legend, the rest of the car's aspects and capabilities will blow away the MKIV. The MKV chassis alone will look like something from the future compared.

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
Probably not but that's an all time engine. New Supra can still be kickass without an all time great engine.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
The engine may not become the legend that the 2JZ has taken on, but really what modern day engine is capable of that anymore? Companies are all about making more universal engines that can be plugged into multiple models of their lineup.

But even if the engine doesn't become that legend, the rest of the car's aspects and capabilities will blow away the MKIV. The MKV chassis alone will look like something from the future compared.
That's why there is a rumor IS-F and Supra will share V6 TT. I hope it's true than Toyota sourcing engine from BMW.

JonMon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cars
That's why there is a rumor IS-F and Supra will share V6 TT. I hope it's true than Toyota sourcing engine from BMW.
The new IS-F is supposed to be a high performance version of the IS right? If so, then woudn't it share the same V8 engine as the RC-F since the RC is basically just the coupe version of the IS?

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well the 2UR-GSE in the RC-F comes from the ISF but with better internals and a few other upgrades. That same motor is now going to be on the GS-F.

The IS250 currently has 2.5 V6 but will be replaced by a 2.0 4 cyl turbo next year sometime (engine in the new Lexus NX F-sport). It's lighter + more power + better fuel efficiency. It's been said for some time now that Toyota has been working on a V6 TT for the Next ISF. Which i see coming in 2017-2018 right around when the FT-1 should be out as well.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also i wouldn't see a point in making another sedan with the same thing the GS-F provides which is just a 4 door RC-F. What would adding the ISF to their line up with the same motor do for them? Just different exteriors/interiors choices for consumers. Personally I don't see a point in doing that. So if they do make an ISF I see it coming in with a new engine.

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
Well the 2UR-GSE in the RC-F comes from the ISF but with better internals and a few other upgrades. That same motor is now going to be on the GS-F.

It's been said for some time now that Toyota has been working on a V6 TT for the Next ISF. Which i see coming in 2017-2018 right around when the FT-1 should be out as well.
So if they do make an ISF I see it coming in with a new engine.
Good info thanks. Sounds like the MKV Supra might launch with a new engine. I was hoping that it would. To stick an existing engine in there doesn't seem cutting edge enough for a relaunch of a legendary car.
Sponsored