The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
I think I know the answer to this, but curious what % that may be.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I voted yes, but that's sort of a lie. I already sold my MKIV, not to buy a Supra, but rather to buy a house. Lame, I know. But I will likely forego buying another MKIV Supra in the next year or so to likely purchase an MKV, assuming I haven't drowned in mortgage payments.

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Those who sell a MKIV (appreciating asset) to buy a MKV (depreciating assets) would be fools in any market...

I certainly will not be a first year adopter and would rather hold out for the GRMN version or whatever is the highest spec'd version.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Those who sell a MKIV (appreciating asset) to buy a MKV (depreciating assets) would be fools in any market...

I certainly will not be a first year adopter and would rather hold out for the GRMN version or whatever is the highest spec'd version.
That's assuming the MKIV has room left to appreciate further. It's value may drop significantly if the MKV turns out to be amazing.

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Solidsamir, lets not kid ourselves here...

The MKIV is 25yrs old, fully depreciated and if many are like myself its not a debt (ie. I own it 100%). Your statement above is like saying the ZL1 Camaro will effect the value of a Camaro built in the late 60's.

Car values from generation to generation typically only effect one another then both are late model, both are depreciating assets, and both considered higher volume production models...

Take my 09' 997.1 Turbo 911 for example. The new tech 991 Pcars do not effect that markets values negatively. Its a different buyer, my car has lineage that the new car does not, and the overwhelming majority of cars today will be made in far greater volumes then those of 25yrs ago...

The MKIV has a place in history. Will the MKV be faster, I'm sure it can be. Its not about lap time if you have ever driven a proper MKIV, hell even a stock example is glorious.

People ask me whats so special. Get in, I'll show you...

Do I expect my car to keep gaining value, not exactly. But I certainly don't expect to loose money or see it be devalued to pennies on the dollar.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I think this thread should be closed. This is blasphemy.

Who would ever sell the last Supra made and powered by toyota?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's assuming the MKIV has room left to appreciate further. It's value may drop significantly if the MKV turns out to be amazing.
Do you sincerely believe that the MKV will be amazing?

I think it’ll be a good car.. no doubt. But I sincerely doubt it’ll be something that’ll be a replacement for the MKIV Supra. Much like the 350Z was to the Z32. As a successor to Z32, 350Z sucked... but it was not a bad car

I see your point about the Camaro, but have you seen what the new NSX did to the older ones from 20yrs ago? NSX market is more of an apples to apples comparison than that of a Camaro.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I voted yes, but that's sort of a lie. I already sold my MKIV, not to buy a Supra, but rather to buy a house. Lame, I know. But I will likely forego buying another MKIV Supra in the next year or so to likely purchase an MKV, assuming I haven't drowned in mortgage payments.
:(

But can never hold it against anyone for selling their MKIV for a home though. Congrats Guff.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I am thinking about it for sure, but my situation is a little different.

I have a RHD MKIV in canada, converted from NA to TT 6 speed. For the price it cost me to build it, and for what I currently have an offer for, it would be hard to say no. Albeit i love the supra so much and dont really want to get rid of it but a few factors against me. and with it now being 25 years old, the US market is so strong for these cars...

As I grow older i really dont enjoy driving the RHD in a LHD world.
Insurance is a bit of an issue up here and I would have to drive the car with improper apprasied insurance for 3 more years.

I have a hard time selling an appreciating(or even stable) asset to buy a depreciating one. I have always enjoyed changing cars without taking a major hit. So if I do sell the Supra, there will probably be a few stepping stones in between.

But I love the nostalgia of it, everytime I go into the garage and see it it puts a smile on my face....Who knows maybe after I get the rebuild V160 back in it, I wont be able to get rid of it.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Solidsamir, lets not kid ourselves here...

The MKIV is 25yrs old, fully depreciated and if many are like myself its not a debt (ie. I own it 100%). Your statement above is like saying the ZL1 Camaro will effect the value of a Camaro built in the late 60's.

Car values from generation to generation typically only effect one another then both are late model, both are depreciating assets, and both considered higher volume production models...

Take my 09' 997.1 Turbo 911 for example. The new tech 991 Pcars do not effect that markets values negatively. Its a different buyer, my car has lineage that the new car does not, and the overwhelming majority of cars today will be made in far greater volumes then those of 25yrs ago...

The MKIV has a place in history. Will the MKV be faster, I'm sure it can be. Its not about lap time if you have ever driven a proper MKIV, hell even a stock example is glorious.

People ask me whats so special. Get in, I'll show you...

Do I expect my car to keep gaining value, not exactly. But I certainly don't expect to loose money or see it be devalued to pennies on the dollar.
I guess what I meant to say is that it could be that the value of the MKIV is at the highest it'll ever be. Some might consider it a good time to sell. I guess you're right in saying its not worth selling a MKIV for an MKV. MKV has a lot of room to depreciate.

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking about it for sure, but my situation is a little different.

I have a RHD MKIV in canada, converted from NA to TT 6 speed. For the price it cost me to build it, and for what I currently have an offer for, it would be hard to say no. Albeit i love the supra so much and dont really want to get rid of it but a few factors against me. and with it now being 25 years old, the US market is so strong for these cars...

As I grow older i really dont enjoy driving the RHD in a LHD world.
Insurance is a bit of an issue up here and I would have to drive the car with improper apprasied insurance for 3 more years.

I have a hard time selling an appreciating(or even stable) asset to buy a depreciating one. I have always enjoyed changing cars without taking a major hit. So if I do sell the Supra, there will probably be a few stepping stones in between.

But I love the nostalgia of it, everytime I go into the garage and see it it puts a smile on my face....Who knows maybe after I get the rebuild V160 back in it, I wont be able to get rid of it.
Looks to be a 1A1 car as well... Keep it!

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Guff without a mkiv is shocking lol
Yeah tell me about it dude! Longest I've been without an MKIV Supra in the last decade or so has been maybe 6-7 months. Let's see if I can break the record this time around. :confused: My new neighbor has a 94 Baltic Hardtop NA-5spd though. and I have a 7675, a 6765, and a full GTE shortblock in the garage, and I have always wanted a hardtop... :doh:

:(

But can never hold it against anyone for selling their MKIV for a home though. Congrats Guff.
Thanks man! I hate all this grown up stuff, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't 100% worth it. Cars will come and go, but this house ticked so many of the boxes for my family, that it'll for sure be one we're in for a very long time. Plus the garage is bigger, so that's fun. ;)
Sponsored