The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
So, I was thinking about this the other day....and I donā€™t want to start a flame thread, but when the ā€œspecialā€ MKV Supraā€™s comes out and start terrorizing the streets with all kinds of aftermarket 1000hp goodness...what will MKIV owners do?

I mean, one of the most appealing aspects of the MKIVā€™s was their ability to handle alot of power. So, for those still hanging on to or who just bought a MKIV, what does this mean to you all? Do you all feel like nothing will change, or will the MKIV Supra bubble burst?

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
But in all seriousness..i sold my RHD TT recently and have the money sitting aside waiting to pounce on a MKV if its right. However id love to put another MKIV in the stable...

I was also thinking if this car is successful. Especially a higher tier version. What does this do to the MKIV value.

Its really a tough call. I think they will always be valuable cars. However if the new car is that good. There is no doubt it will take buyers away from the MKIV.

One of the reasons i sold my MKIV was ive always had 90s JDM cars aside from an FRS. And I would love to try a Japanese sports car with newer technology.

If/When the MKV comes out with a 3rd pedal. It will most likely be at the highest and most advanced point in unassisted true "drivers" car technology we will see from Toyota. That is pretty exciting too.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But in all seriousness..i sold my RHD TT recently and have the money sitting aside waiting to pounce on a MKV if its right. However id love to put another MKIV in the stable...

I was also thinking if this car is successful. Especially a higher tier version. What does this do to the MKIV value.

Its really a tough call. I think they will always be valuable cars. However if the new car is that good. There is no doubt it will take buyers away from the MKIV.

One of the reasons i sold my MKIV was ive always had 90s JDM cars aside from an FRS. And I would love to try a Japanese sports car with newer technology.

If/When the MKV comes out with a 3rd pedal. It will most likely be at the highest and most advanced point in unassisted true "drivers" car technology we will see from Toyota. That is pretty exciting too.
I promise you I'm not trying to stir the pot...lol. I genuinely want to know what MKIV's owners will do.

Btw, your scenario describes a few ex-MKIV owners scenario i've talked to. You and I are on the same page in terms of new Japanese sports cars and technology. I too plan on having a MKV in the future, and the only reason I am purchasing a R34 is because it was never offered here...so it's more of a unicorn for "investment" reasons ;):rolleyes:. People still ask me, "why not an R35...you know it's a much better car." I wholeheartedly agree with them, and my reasons were not performance related....but more for investment purposes. I also was able to get two cars for the price of one new R35 GTR, so that was also a big deal.

About the MKIV though, I feel like the wow factor has been and will continue to be the power-plant and drive-train of those cars. I'm just thinking based on what I have heard, when the top tier MKV's come out...alot of new and existing MKIV owners are not gonna be happy :banghead:.

kaneda

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kaneda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dodge Demon, 2018 Civic Type R
The thing about the MKIV is it's better in people's heads than it is in real life. Not flaming the car. It's ICONIC and a CLASSIC. But almost 30 years later the tech/innovation/handling of this new car will run circles around the old car.

BUUUUUUT....will this new engine be able to get out of it what the older Toyota engine could? I don't think so. What made the old Supra so special is it was totally over engineered. Could easily get 6-800bhp out of it without worry.

I don't see TONS of people trying to squeeze 1,000bhp of of this BMW powerplant. Not gonna happen. Also, why void your warranty right away?

TRD needs to make a special edition of this Supra with way more than 380bhp. That number is really sad in 2019.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I would agree with that as well. As awesome and powerful as the supra can be. There is no doubt it is dated technology and very mythical to many.

I still am dissapointed its 2 seats even if the rear seats were to be almost useless

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BUUUUUUT....will this new engine be able to get out of it what the older Toyota engine could? I don't think so. What made the old Supra so special is it was totally over engineered. Could easily get 6-800bhp out of it without worry.

I don't see TONS of people trying to squeeze 1,000bhp of of this BMW powerplant. Not gonna happen. Also, why void your warranty right away?
Your in for a HUGE surprise :D. Patience grasshopper.

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
As an owner of a TT 6 speed MKIV, I still wont be giving mine up until im dead. So...

kaneda

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kaneda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dodge Demon, 2018 Civic Type R
See I stopped playing the tuning game years ago and just grabbed one of these below. I'm just worried early adopters, the people that TRULY love the Supra are going to get screwed. They are going to buy one in year one or two and then Toyota is going to bring out the more powerful one people wanted all along.

I also agree that the Supra back in the day was as fast as the Ferrari's and Porsches of the time. Now? A Mustang GT will out run this thing. And don't think a Bullit Mustang doesn't handle, they do! Still can't wait to see it, just would always rather have an MKIV over this BMW designed car.

IMG_0900 (1).JPG

IMG_1954.JPG
Sponsored