The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Only if there is as long of a gap between the five and the six. Part of what made the Mark 4 so desirable was that it was the last of its kind. So they thought.
I think That's why most of the a80 owners hate so much on the new car. They don't like the idea that something new or better came out and that it could be more desirable, thus possibly lowering the value of their car, I suppose...?
If so, that would be silly. The Mark four cannot be replaced.
I agree, all Supra generations have their own unique character and feel. I think if the numbers stay low-er for the MKV, it should fetch good money in the future.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I almost forgot about this thread. My hardtop Z4 remarks were tongue in cheek, so chillax. :p

I was chatting with a good friend & Supra OG a while back on a slightly related topic. I will say this regarding the animosity towards A80 owners & Supraforums and vice versa. The original MK4 owners were some of the nicest people I have met. I remember being 18 and attending all of the local Houston Supra meets, BBQs, etc. I thought they would look down on me for having a NA auto lol, but this groups of guys were super down-to-earth and very humble. A lot of them told me stories of their first cars being Civics, CRXs, Celicas, etc., and how they had to work to get to where they are now. Fast forward to now, a lot of these guys have moved on to newer and more expensive toys (911s, GTRs, Ferraris, etc.). Unfortunately, we now have some younger MK4 owners that have an elitist mindset. I'll just end it with don't let a few bad apples rub you the wrong way.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I almost forgot about this thread. My hardtop Z4 remarks were tongue in cheek, so chillax. :p

I was chatting with a good friend & Supra OG a while back on a slightly related topic. I will say this regarding the animosity towards A80 owners & Supraforums and vice versa. The original MK4 owners were some of the nicest people I have met. I remember being 18 and attending all of the local Houston Supra meets, BBQs, etc. I thought they would look down on me for having a NA auto lol, but this groups of guys were super down-to-earth and very humble. A lot of them told me stories of their first cars being Civics, CRXs, Celicas, etc., and how they had to work to get to where they are now. Fast forward to now, a lot of these guys have moved on to newer and more expensive toys (911s, GTRs, Ferraris, etc.). Unfortunately, we now have some younger MK4 owners that have an elitist mindset. I'll just end it with don't let a few bad apples rub you the wrong way.
^^ I agree with this as it has also been similar to my own personal experiences with the Supra MKIV community for the last 20 years.

I think in general the folks who are "OG's" now and who once were the first and second owner crowd as younger people going back that far are a little different than the current younger crowd.

Also the rest of the rest of the JDM 1JZ/2JZ scene and SC, Aristo/GS and IS/Altezza and Mark II/Cressida scenes have all expanded around what was mostly centered around the MKIV Supra only a couple of decades ago.

In short it's more of a mix of different types of owners who have MKIV's now. In the big picture I still encounter far more good people who are owners from all ages and they greatly outnumber a handful of bad apples who seem to be the majority but who aren't.

As for collectability of the MKV vs MKIV... that is very hard to determine at this time. It'll definitely be collectible to some degree right off the bat no question. I still feel the MKIV will remain more collectible overall simply because of the era in which it was designed, the era(s) during which it has thrived at its peak and beyond and due to how over-engineered it was by Toyota during the bubble economy years within which it was born.

The same could be said of the Nissan Skyline GT-R R32, R33 and R34 for the same reasons.

But the MKV will also represent a spectacular Supra series that remained true to its pure gasoline-turbocharged I-6 RWD + manual transmission formula right up until it became necessary to embrace electrification.

Plus it is a VERY satisfying and FUN drive and it looks gorgeous! I keep comparing the MKV in yellow to the 1992-2002 RX-7 FD3S in yellow and that remains one of the most beautiful cars ever made in its own right.

The Supra MKV will always have a healthy following.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I must commend this forum on the overall civility in which it treats the MkIV. This group has a much higher caliber of posters relative to some of the top posters on supraforums, imho. Supraforums is like a mirage for new MkV enthusiasts who genuinely think they have found a supportive forum for the MkV.
Agree, overall this forum has been pretty cordial. I wish the same can be said about the MK5/MKV owners' facebook group. Everyone keeps calling the A80 a Yamaha lol. :lol:

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Yeah, when I was first into Supras, it was the A70 owners that were the problem - couldn't afford an A80, so they had a huge chip on their shoulder. A60 and A80 guys were pretty cool.

Since prices started going bonkers (around 2014 here) the attitudes have declined accordingly...

Why can't we just like cars because interesting cars are better than "A to B appliances"?

I'd never own a 370Z, but, I am glad someone chose that over a *generic car goes here* - as it keep the enthusiast demand alive and shows they give a shit.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
If you blur your eyes or ignore a lot of the vents and shit - the A90 truly has a stunning curvy shape with excellent proportions, and is a real hoot to drive. It does still feel analogue, as you said, the last hurrah before a change in the scene...

MVJ1975

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0
Why can't we just like cars because interesting cars are better than "A to B appliances"?

I'd never own a 370Z, but, I am glad someone chose that over a *generic car goes here* - as it keep the enthusiast demand alive and shows they give a shit.
This where I'm at. Anyone who chooses to drive an actual non-boring car and not some generic CUV has my respect. I made my choice, but I cannot and will not denigrate someone else for making a different choice.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
This where I'm at. Anyone who chooses to drive an actual non-boring car and not some generic CUV has my respect. I made my choice, but I cannot and will not denigrate someone else for making a different choice.
^^ I 100% agree with this too.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
A hardtop Z4... (jk) parked next to me today at school. We didn't talk too much because I had to pee lol, but he seems cool. And before people start pointing out the shitty condition that my car is in, it's a daily with over 322k.

Z.jpg
1st week of school and I run into my buddy again. I think I inspired him to get the wing. :D

IMG_3402.JPEG

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
If I had garage space and spare money I'd deffo get a MK4, fully restore it and keep it as a museum piece next to my MK5 and drive it occasionally on a nice day 🥰😍
Aren't MK4s more affordable in the UK?
Sponsored