The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
My experience driving both the MKIV and MKV one after the other was that the MKV was obviously faster and more comfortable than the MKIV...but also very very refined for high speed driving. The MKIV (if your not 100% focused on the road) can whip it's rear end very quickly under hard acceleration (Viper-like characteristics). I almost lost control going onto the freeway in a MKIV. That doesn't make it a bad car, however, the age of the car is very apparent when that happens. An LSD in a MKIV is one thing, but all the other tech a MKV has to keep you out of trouble is a whole different ball game. I tried several times to get the MKV to break the rear end loose, and it didn't budge....however, if you hit a bump at high speed, the MKV does get a little squirrelly (reminiscent of the 90's SVT Cobra's). Amplify either one of those two cars' horsepower to double or triple, and you will quickly appreciate the new tech.

I use to believe the engine was the only thing important in a sports car....nope! It's a complete package (i.e., engine, trans, suspension, traction, etc...). The new high-performance sports cars are very very good if you plan on going big power.
^^ I agree with you about the MKIV. Iā€™ll get some actual driving time in an MKV before long for a firsthand comparison but already I am very impressed with its chassis considering itā€™s got a shorter wheelbase than before.

The MKIV is old technology and design all around but very good old technology and design. At least from its chassis design with the best of what Toyota could do in 1990 or so it was intended for stable high speed driving at around 150mph. The SC chassis I am on is similar enough even though it is a bit more compromised in comparison.

But even so, none of the modern traction control, LSD, tire and shock absorber technology were available back when the MKIV came out in 1992. The tires and shocks can be upgraded now and there are a *couple* of available aftermarket diffs that are superior to the factory Torsen T-1 LSD (mostly the OS Giken 1.5-way) and aftermarket ECU control can provide improved traction control over stock under acceleration...

...But it is still a high performance vehicle released from 1992. And youā€™re right, it can, especially with the stock rear 255mm tires and stock Torsen T-1 LSD, get squirrely under some acceleration and low traction circumstances.

Itā€™s manageable at the stock power level and as long as you do some key modifications at 500whp and above AND are always 100% focused on the road and feeling what the back end is doing it can be fine.

I do agree with the almost Viper-like snap-oversteer you can encounter under some circumstances. But this is far more pronounced in an old Viper than it is in an MKIV TT, let alone a stock MKIV TT.

But I have no doubt that modern high performance cars including the MKV are better equipped for safety with double or triple their stock horsepower.

Iā€™m fine with the MKIV driveline at the stock power level for many reasons. Mostly because of CA emissions compliance and because itā€™s enough power to enjoy the classic car practically and still have everyday fun with it. The engine if modified would make the car much faster (and Iā€™d need a better LSD than the Torsen T-1 and a different suspension and different tires) but Iā€™m not worried about matching what a stock MKV can do with this thing even though I could.

With a real MKIV now Iā€™d probably be tempted to keep it stock for the sake of original value anyway.

But then there is also the high speed handling on track which I feel is also a factor but I donā€™t see anyone keeping either an MKIV or MKV totally stock for that purpose anyway: the MKIV because big improvements in available aftermarket parts to improve it for track use are commonly available and the MKV because youā€™d also want, at the very least, to tune the suspension to the settings to exactly the characteristics youā€™d want to get the best lap times out of it on a racetrack.

Just on the road though... I feel that itā€™s different from any track scenario. Just on the road, whether or not someoneā€™s MKIV is made as fast as a stock or modified MKV or faster, I feel itā€™s about fun for the driver rather than maximum lap times or maximum 0-60.

Which is why I do feel that even a stock 2JZ-GTE engine with only ā€œ320hpā€œ (more like 340-345hp or so at the crank, stock) with a manual transmission can be a lot of fun along with that edge of being just a touch ā€œscaryā€ sometimes.

Iā€™d expect a MKV to be even safer with its modern traction control and modern ABS but I still like the idea of an MKV having that little edge of fright that the most iconic classic high performance cars give you.
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
^^ I agree with you about the MKIV. Iā€™ll get some actual driving time in an MKV before long for a firsthand comparison but already I am very impressed with its chassis considering itā€™s got a shorter wheelbase than before.

The MKIV is old technology and design all around but very good old technology and design. At least from its chassis design with the best of what Toyota could do in 1990 or so it was intended for stable high speed driving at around 150mph. The SC chassis I am on is similar enough even though it is a bit more compromised in comparison.

But even so, none of the modern traction control, LSD, tire and shock absorber technology were available back when the MKIV came out in 1992. The tires and shocks can be upgraded now and there are a *couple* of available aftermarket diffs that are superior to the factory Torsen T-1 LSD (mostly the OS Giken 1.5-way) and aftermarket ECU control can provide improved traction control over stock under acceleration...

...But it is still a high performance vehicle released from 1992. And youā€™re right, it can, especially with the stock rear 255mm tires and stock Torsen T-1 LSD, get squirrely under some acceleration and low traction circumstances.

Itā€™s manageable at the stock power level and as long as you do some key modifications at 500whp and above AND are always 100% focused on the road and feeling what the back end is doing it can be fine.

I do agree with the almost Viper-like snap-oversteer you can encounter under some circumstances. But this is far more pronounced in an old Viper than it is in an MKIV TT, let alone a stock MKIV TT.

But I have no doubt that modern high performance cars including the MKV are better equipped for safety with double or triple their stock horsepower.

Iā€™m fine with the MKIV driveline at the stock power level for many reasons. Mostly because of CA emissions compliance and because itā€™s enough power to enjoy the classic car practically and still have everyday fun with it. The engine if modified would make the car much faster (and Iā€™d need a better LSD than the Torsen T-1 and a different suspension and different tires) but Iā€™m not worried about matching what a stock MKV can do with this thing even though I could.

With a real MKIV now Iā€™d probably be tempted to keep it stock for the sake of original value anyway.

But then there is also the high speed handling on track which I feel is also a factor but I donā€™t see anyone keeping either an MKIV or MKV totally stock for that purpose anyway: the MKIV because big improvements in available aftermarket parts to improve it for track use are commonly available and the MKV because youā€™d also want, at the very least, to tune the suspension to the settings to exactly the characteristics youā€™d want to get the best lap times out of it on a racetrack.

Just on the road though... I feel that itā€™s different from any track scenario. Just on the road, whether or not someoneā€™s MKIV is made as fast as a stock or modified MKV or faster, I feel itā€™s about fun for the driver rather than maximum lap times or maximum 0-60.

Which is why I do feel that even a stock 2JZ-GTE engine with only ā€œ320hpā€œ (more like 340-345hp or so at the crank, stock) with a manual transmission can be a lot of fun along with that edge of being just a touch ā€œscaryā€ sometimes.

Iā€™d expect a MKV to be even safer with its modern traction control and modern ABS but I still like the idea of an MKV having that little edge of fright that the most iconic classic high performance cars give you.
If you havenā€™t driven one yet, you will love it! Promise you.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
stock for stock (have both.... well the A80 ain't stock anymore)

A90 was far more savage IMHO. More grip yes, more power, more torque, more compliance.... but also will wheelspin into third in a straight line if you want it to.

A80 felt mushier in comparison - not slow - but mushier.

Make sure when do you these comparisons you have TRC fully off in the A90 - it is a completely different animal with all the nannies off.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
That ā€œpoor old A80ā€ was designed and geared with a 1.33:1 final drive ratio because it was intended as a very stable high speed circuit racing car first and foremost.

Any of these modern sportscars with lightning fast automatics and DCTā€™s will certainly edge out an A80ā€™s 0-60 and 1/4 mile times even if it has 800whp, a VVT-i cylinder head and a modern quick spooling single turbo that isnā€™t humongous.

But drag races even from a roll isnā€™t where theyā€™re the most fun IMO. Many cars can go insanely fast in a straight line : )

I also donā€™t think thatā€™s where an A90 will give the most fun regardless of it having the fast automatic.

But many people really love drag races from a stop or roll.

Its the same thing with hypercars and super fast EVā€™s with insane 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Impressive and mind blowing to experience? Of course! But... what are each of them like in other fun performance driving situations?

The A80 even in this state of tune is slower due to having a manual transmission and older technology but you canā€™t say it isnā€™t a lot of fun to drive.

Both the A80 and A90 pitted against each other on a circuit racetrack are both going to be fun, powerful and engaging cars to drive.

RixSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 1993 Supra TT, 1991 Corvette ZR-1
Vehicle Showcase
Can anybody who speaks Japanese offer a summary of this?
The guy with the microphone visited the shop (Max Orido's shop) and interviewed "Max". Max owns the 3 Supras, the red MKIV makes 650 HP, and white one is basically unmodified. The A90 MKV is slightly tuned and makes about 450 HP. Max likes all three. For normal drivng around town, he doesn't like to drive the red A80 because it's just too powerful on Japan's streets. He prefers driving the white A80 around town over the red A80.

He likes his red A90. He thinks it has heritage because its a 3.0L straight 6 engine and he sees styling cues from the A80. The announcer had the same opinion as Max about the 3 cars.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The guy with the microphone visited the shop (Max Orido's shop) and interviewed "Max". Max owns the 3 Supras, the red MKIV makes 650 HP, and white one is basically unmodified. The A90 MKV is slightly tuned and makes about 450 HP. Max likes all three. For normal drivng around town, he doesn't like to drive the red A80 because it's just too powerful on Japan's streets. He prefers driving the white A80 around town over the red A80.

He likes his red A90. He thinks it has heritage because its a 3.0L straight 6 engine and he sees styling cues from the A80. The announcer had the same opinion as Max about the 3 cars.

LOL. Thanks bro.

"The Guy with the Mic" is Keichi Tsuchiya.... the drift king. The shop in question is Ridox and yes, owned by Max Orido. This much (and the fact Orido owns the 3 Supras) I already knew. Thanks for the take on the impressions, that's what I was really after. Sorry for not being clearer.
Sponsored