To M2 or not to M2

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
The fact that they still use oem tyres on the Supra for the test means this test is irrelevant.

No one track their Supra regularly with OEM spec PSS.

Savagegeese track test by a pro driver already shows that the Supra is faster on their track when both cars were on RE-71RS. Mark during the test also feels the M2 doesn't feel special.
Sponsored

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Interesting. M2 is better on the track.. and in our test we have zero metrics to show. But trust us.. its better. I suspect time wise the difference was so marginal that it didn't match the article's outcome, lest they would've mentioned them. 😂
You right, no lap times were mentioned at all. Such a ridiculous and unprofessional 'track review' lol

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I was thinking about switching Supra for M2, so I did drive one for longer.
Car hides its mass pretty well actually, I was suprised. You can feel it on fast right-left transitions and a lot under braking, it feels like u r trying to stop a train, its nervous on the brakes. Brakes are ok overall, but too much bite up top with not enough progression and feel. Overall suspension tuning is very good for a stock car I'd say.
The famous S58... in M2 it doesnt feel to fast, despite being over 460hp. Yes, it goes, gains speed but its nothing spectacular, I feel like previous M2c was more brutal and felt faster (even tho it wasnt). Again, power to weight. So I was bit disappointed with it. Next thing is it has somehow a turbo lag, despite having 2 turbos. I dont mind tuning for linear power delivery and top end, but its not it, it just takes time to spool. The ZF8 is nice but I feel like it gets a bit lost on downshifts in M2.
It has fake burbles through speakers pupmped into cabin, thats was.... bad.
Steering is half-dead, I couldnt rely on it going fast. Car is on 19 + 20" from the factory, I dunno if 18" can be run for track, prob not due to caliper size.
I like the screens and customization, the oil and tire pressue in front of me etc, so overall inside its cool. Ouside looks is average at best, with ok front, not too-good side and catastrophic rear end.

1 is a sports car designed from the ground, 2nd one is sporty coupe.
After 1 drive its pretty clear for me which one do I want (and its not the one with ///M).

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I was thinking about switching Supra for M2, so I did drive one for longer.
Car hides its mass pretty well actually, I was suprised. You can feel it on fast right-left transitions and a lot under braking, it feels like u r trying to stop a train, its nervous on the brakes. Brakes are ok overall, but too much bite up top with not enough progression and feel. Overall suspension tuning is very good for a stock car I'd say.
The famous S58... in M2 it doesnt feel to fast, despite being over 460hp. Yes, it goes, gains speed but its nothing spectacular, I feel like previous M2c was more brutal and felt faster (even tho it wasnt). Again, power to weight. So I was bit disappointed with it. Next thing is it has somehow a turbo lag, despite having 2 turbos. I dont mind tuning for linear power delivery and top end, but its not it, it just takes time to spool. The ZF8 is nice but I feel like it gets a bit lost on downshifts in M2.
It has fake burbles through speakers pupmped into cabin, thats was.... bad.
Steering is half-dead, I couldnt rely on it going fast. Car is on 19 + 20" from the factory, I dunno if 18" can be run for track, prob not due to caliper size.
I like the screens and customization, the oil and tire pressue in front of me etc, so overall inside its cool. Ouside looks is average at best, with ok front, not too-good side and catastrophic rear end.

1 is a sports car designed from the ground, 2nd one is sporty coupe.
After 1 drive its pretty clear for me which one do I want (and its not the one with ///M).
Well said ☝ The M2 is great out of the box and will do well against a stock Supra. The price difference is pretty hefty. Tires & brake pads will do wonders. The weight is harder to shed. So for for $60k & 400lbs less, Supra is still a great bargain.

Last edited:

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I guess there was bound to be a review that picks the M2 over the Supra. I'm fine with that, but the lack of actual lap times is a bit worrying. Would be one thing to say it was easier to set the quickest time, or it's more consistent, or that it "feels" faster, but at least post the lap times. This is only really a preference or opinion, with no real unbiased data to back up said opinion.

Like others have mentioned, the Savagegeese review was much more relevant with matching tires and a professional driver, plus real lap times. They still gave impressions and preferences.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I guess there was bound to be a review that picks the M2 over the Supra. I'm fine with that, but the lack of actual lap times is a bit worrying. Would be one thing to say it was easier to set the quickest time, or it's more consistent, or that it "feels" faster, but at least post the lap times. This is only really a preference or opinion, with no real unbiased data to back up said opinion.

Like others have mentioned, the Savagegeese review was much more relevant with matching tires and a professional driver, plus real lap times. They still gave impressions and preferences.
And here we are, the day has come where a YouTube channel track-test makes a legacy publication with "Track" in its name look like a bunch of wankers.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
And here we are, the day has come where a YouTube channel track-test makes a legacy publication with "Track" in its name look like a bunch of wankers.
The gold standard for me will always be the Car and Driver yearly Lightning Lap times. I've never found that R&T were the best when it comes to modern car reviews. Motorsports, classics, etc, they are good at, but new car reviews, not their forte.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
The complexities of BMW, (German engineered cars), is just going to get more and more "complex". It's not to say the Supra hasn't already adopted all of that however it hasn't really changed since it's introduction in 2020.

Long story short. I'd hate to have one of these modern M cars after warranty expires or after heavy modding. If you're hella rich, like riche, riche, then none of this matters and your bank account will fix anything. I am not in that category so I would stay away. The early joys of the car might not compensate for the later problems. Just my 2 cents.

Don't roast me too hard.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
The gold standard for me will always be the Car and Driver yearly Lightning Lap times. I've never found that R&T were the best when it comes to modern car reviews. Motorsports, classics, etc, they are good at, but new car reviews, not their forte.
I have track times at VIR both Full and North. I am dying to run the Grand course which is the lightning lap. Love to see where I am... lol

MY C&D question is the difference in the different drivers setting times?

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
The complexities of BMW, (German engineered cars), is just going to get more and more "complex". It's not to say the Supra hasn't already adopted all of that however it hasn't really changed since it's introduction in 2020.

Long story short. I'd hate to have one of these modern M cars after warranty expires or after heavy modding. If you're hella rich, like riche, riche, then none of this matters and your bank account will fix anything. I am not in that category so I would stay away. The early joys of the car might not compensate for the later problems. Just my 2 cents.

Don't roast me too hard.
If I was rich rich I wouldn't be picking either. I'd be in either a Porsche 911 or a Lotus Emira. If reliability is your main concern probably going older tech is likely the best idea. Maybe an E46 M3 or same gen M5.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I have track times at VIR both Full and North. I am dying to run the Grand course which is the lightning lap. Love to see where I am... lol

MY C&D question is the difference in the different drivers setting times?
It's the same driver setting the times that year, but it has changed year to year. The rules are that it can't have any options that aren't offered by the manufacturer, so no upgrading tires, brakes, etc, with aftermarket stuff.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2

Don't roast me too hard.
Nothing made today with any performance intent is 'inexpensive' to obtain or PROPERLY maintain. The Road and Track review actually looked at the hardware differences and software that controls it. The M2 is a more sophisticated machine with upgraded hardware and software to control and match. No shock that is well known. I dont think it, at all, made the Supra less than what it is. Less expensive and very capable. With minor 'tweaks' it is a capable and fast track companion, with a good driver able to match an M-Car.

M-Cars are not track cars by design. They have inherent track 'capability' built in but not focused completely for track. They give a daily driver such capability in differing configurations to = coupe or sedan models. Nothing new and the weight issue with M-Cars is nothing new. Look at the weight of an E-46. Hardly a 'lightweight' even when it was new.

Again I found the review a touch different as it did not focus on stats, stats, numbers etc etc. That gets old and who cares when you are not earning any money with the car in a performance setting. There is always someone faster than you and he might be in the 'slower' car as well LOL :)

The review also noted that this pair might be cross-shopped as well. Why not - at the base configuration they are not that utterly far in price either as they outlined early in the article.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
If I was rich rich I wouldn't be picking either. I'd be in either a Porsche 911 or a Lotus Emira. If reliability is your main concern probably going older tech is likely the best idea. Maybe an E46 M3 or same gen M5.
Taking good care of an E46 is not what I would call inexpensive lol. Or an E92.