To M2 or not to M2

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Because you couldn't see it. ;)
I had a similar thought when the FK8 came out. I really wanted a Type R finally, childhood dream. Then I made the choice of it had to be black, to cover up the lines/design and maybe some altered aero. Then I figured, no. I shouldn't have to sacrifice a color(Championship White) and either spend an additional 10k or more on better looking aero, OR removing aero for it to look decent. Glad I waited, and got a Supra.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
The Supra interior feels so much more purposeful and personal vs the M2 cabin. Minimalism is the keyword here when sitting inside the cabin. The steering wheel, the manual shifter, the big tachometer are all a spirited driver will need.

The G87 M2 AT stock doesn't 'feel' fast (but is fast) at all even though car reviewers or owners are bragging about its 0-100kmh or quarter miles. The thing feels heavy and is heavy so people going in looking for a pure sports car experience will get bored in no time. People who drag race and like to brag about numbers will probably like to own it for a while until something better comes along.
That's exactly what will happen because they need the newest flavors. Long term owners of the M2 will be track people or a pure enthusiasts. The Draggy M2 owners will move on after 1-2 years.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
That's exactly what will happen because they need the newest flavors. Long term owners of the M2 will be track people or a pure enthusiasts. The Draggy M2 owners will move on after 1-2 years.

How do you know this lol. You know every M2 owners and all habits. Please stop. Absurd. I have no reason to think that about Supra owners. Or any other group that owns a car. Ive been a LONG TERM owner of a few cars, Lotus etc. Some tracked others not. Did you predict that too? The hilarity of the BS posted cannot be over stated.

Sporscars are niche vehicles and turned over rather quickly in general. Some tracked some not. Even those not being tracked can be owned long term. NO SHIT LOL mmmkay?? :)

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
How do you know this lol. You know every M2 owners and all habits. Please stop. Absurd. I have no reason to think that about Supra owners. Or any other group that owns a car. Ive been a LONG TERM owner of a few cars, Lotus etc. Some tracked others not. Did you predict that too? The hilarity of the BS posted cannot be over stated.

Sporscars are niche vehicles and turned over rather quickly in general. Some tracked some not. Even those not being tracked can be owned long term. NO SHIT LOL mmmkay?? :)
Always exceptions to the rules and I only speak from friends I know or even neighbors jumping from platform to platform. If my comment came off as a generalization I wasn't intending it to be as such. The people I know are exactly as I described. I'm not even mentioning the Youtubers here in my comment and we all have seen them and know who they are. Youtube guys tuning and building for clicks and followers then moving on to the next platform even before a 3 year lease is over. Yes there will be some people who keep long term. Lastly I should be careful because I am still to test drive a G87 so my opinion is not from first hand driving experience yet.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Chances are this will be my next platform, a lot of hate but most cars are very controversial at the start, look at when the supra came out! the weight is def a bummer, but for some people that live in south Florida for instance, I have no nice roads, nowhere to enjoy a car that focuses on handling, straight line speed is more useable for me. But luckily 25 has a power bump, which gives me another year or so to mod and enjoy my car since I am nowhere near ready to say bye to my MT

Digitalprty

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
Chances are this will be my next platform, a lot of hate but most cars are very controversial at the start, look at when the supra came out! the weight is def a bummer, but for some people that live in south Florida for instance, I have no nice roads, nowhere to enjoy a car that focuses on handling, straight line speed is more useable for me. But luckily 25 has a power bump, which gives me another year or so to mod and enjoy my car since I am nowhere near ready to say bye to my MT
Exactly this. When the first pictures of the Supra were released, it looked horrid to me. The bulbous rear haunches, pointy nose, and superfluous fake vents really made me upset that that is how they brought it back. After some time, it really grew on me. It looks like virtually nothing else on the road; very curvy and sporty. Now, I see it as one of the nicest-looking cars on the road, especially at this price point. Plus it looks better in person.

When the first pictures of the G87 M2 came out, same response. I thought, what the hell did they do to this iconic M car? It looks like an unfinished Lego car with the ridiculous boxy look. Then some time passed, I saw it in person, and it’s actually grown on me faster than the Supra did. Looking back to the E30 M3, the styling makes more sense. (I still have not warmed up to the G8x M3/M4 styling, though)

Toyota still has no idea when they’ll be getting an allocation. BMW, on the other hand, has a manual M2 that I have an appointment to test drive this Saturday. Being that I can spec the M2 exactly how I want and get it within a few months, for only about $6k more than the Supra, it might be what I end up with. I’ll see how I feel after the test drive.

Last edited:

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Imo don't think people were upset on how the Supra looked. More so because of the F1 drawings and it being a bmw. It was always a very attractive car. Now the new Gen m2 is globally hated by even non-car people on the looks, rightfully so.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
We used to live on the other coast of south FL. Bumper to bumper and can be rough if not close to the Everglades. Roads are really nice over here, SWFL. Even if busier than they used to be.

Toyota still has no idea when they’ll be getting an allocation. BMW, on the other hand, has a manual M2 that I have an appointment to test drive this Saturday. Being that I can spec the M2 exactly how I want and get it within a few months, for only about $6k more than the Supra, it might be what I end up with. I’ll see how I feel after the test drive.
I had to look at where you are from. My good buddy is doing exactly the same. Test driving one in Miami. Too hard to find the color combo with MT for the Supra for him.

Good recent article:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a46341955/bmw-m2-performance-car-of-the-year-2024/

Last edited:

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
25 may also have the carbon buckets available again (if you wanted those).

FL does not have the nice twisties, but our regular roads are some of the nicest in the southeast IMO. Anywhere I’ve been (in the southeast) that has some nice mountain roads has terrible city roads.

Digitalprty

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
Took the test drive yesterday and ended up ordering the car. Actually ordered it, not just hoped for an allocation. If Toyota allowed this in the U.S., I’d already have my Supra. Their loss. I’ve always had pleasant buying experiences with BMW.

I got it exactly how I wanted it, at MSRP, with no add-ons, and it will arrive in April, May at the latest. I leaned in to the controversial shape of the car and M color scheme with the light blue color and red calipers. Don’t think I’ll use the parking assist, but a G87 owner that works there says he has it in his and it adds a sensor, so figured “eh, it’s only $200.”
IMG_8943.png
IMG_8944.png

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Took the test drive yesterday and ended up ordering the car. Actually ordered it, not just hoped for an allocation. If Toyota allowed this in the U.S., I’d already have my Supra. Their loss. I’ve always had pleasant buying experiences with BMW.

I got it exactly how I wanted it, at MSRP, with no add-ons, and it will arrive in April, May at the latest. I leaned in to the controversial shape of the car and M color scheme with the light blue color and red calipers. Don’t think I’ll use the parking assist, but a G87 owner that works there says he has it in his and it adds a sensor, so figured “eh, it’s only $200.”
IMG_8943.png
IMG_8944.png
Congrats
I may be grumpy old man when I express my opinions about this car but dont take it to heart
As long as you're happy with it
I'm the opposite of you, went to test drive the G80 when I still had the F80 with intent to trade and left underwhelmed .
The reason I currently don't drive an actual BMW right now is because of that test drive

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2

IMG_8943.png
IMG_8944.png
Nice spec and congrats. A good friend here south of me has a similar spec. Looking forward to your delivery pictures / info/ and impressions.
Sponsored