To M2 or not to M2

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I’ve had a deposit for a manual Supra since April 2023. Still no allocations. Haven’t even had a chance to test drive one yet.

Today, I went to a BMW dealership and a Toyota dealership to test drive the new G87 M2 and a 2.0 AT Supra (no 3.0 Supras were within decent driving distance). I wanted to have a back-to-back experience with both to better compare them. Didn’t end up being able to test drive either (the M2 on the lot was already sold and the Supra was in the showroom). I was able to sit in both, though.

Did the M2 first. It was white and honestly looks a lot better in person. It was nice, but I didn’t really care for the huge screen. Messed around with the seat and steering wheel to get a good position, but couldn’t get a good angle where I could see the instrument cluster without obstructing parts of it. Seats were fine and comfortable enough. Steering wheel was thick, which I liked, but the material didn’t wow me. It was an automatic, so I also sat in a new M4 to get the feel of the stick shift (since it’s the same) and whether it’s “rubbery” or not. It felt great. I didn’t have an issue with it at all.

Then I went to see the Supra. It was in red and looked gorgeous just sitting in the showroom (my deposit is for either blue or white). Sat in it, and it fit just like a glove. The bolsters were so much better than the M2 and the positioning of the steering wheel and instrument cluster was perfect. It’s supposedly smaller inside than the M2, but it didn’t feel like it. I strangely felt more cramped in the M2. Similar with the visibility too.

I’ve pretty much solidified that I love the Supra even more now after comparing (sans the actual driving). Finding a manual Supra is pretty much unobtanium, though. Meanwhile, the guy from BMW gave me printouts of three M2s that should be arriving soon. All three are manual. He said he’ll let me know when they’re in, so I can take one for a test drive.
I had a hard time finding a dealer that would let me drive a Supra either new or old before I bought mine. So I kept an eye out for them at local Carmax locations. When one popped up I reserved it for a test drive.
Sponsored

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I’ve had a deposit for a manual Supra since April 2023. Still no allocations. Haven’t even had a chance to test drive one yet.

Today, I went to a BMW dealership and a Toyota dealership to test drive the new G87 M2 and a 2.0 AT Supra (no 3.0 Supras were within decent driving distance). I wanted to have a back-to-back experience with both to better compare them. Didn’t end up being able to test drive either (the M2 on the lot was already sold and the Supra was in the showroom). I was able to sit in both, though.

Did the M2 first. It was white and honestly looks a lot better in person. It was nice, but I didn’t really care for the huge screen. Messed around with the seat and steering wheel to get a good position, but couldn’t get a good angle where I could see the instrument cluster without obstructing parts of it. Seats were fine and comfortable enough. Steering wheel was thick, which I liked, but the material didn’t wow me. It was an automatic, so I also sat in a new M4 to get the feel of the stick shift (since it’s the same) and whether it’s “rubbery” or not. It felt great. I didn’t have an issue with it at all.

Then I went to see the Supra. It was in red and looked gorgeous just sitting in the showroom (my deposit is for either blue or white). Sat in it, and it fit just like a glove. The bolsters were so much better than the M2 and the positioning of the steering wheel and instrument cluster was perfect. It’s supposedly smaller inside than the M2, but it didn’t feel like it. I strangely felt more cramped in the M2. Similar with the visibility too.

I’ve pretty much solidified that I love the Supra even more now after comparing (sans the actual driving). Finding a manual Supra is pretty much unobtanium, though. Meanwhile, the guy from BMW gave me printouts of three M2s that should be arriving soon. All three are manual. He said he’ll let me know when they’re in, so I can take one for a test drive.
You live in CT, my old home state from way back. When I lived there, I had a 68 Corvette vert. The one time I got caught in a snowstorm was enough to convince me that I needed a second car. Hopefully, you already saw the 40,000 mile Supra report by Car & Driver. Supras and snow do not mix.

When I realized that dealerships were not going to let me sit in or drive a Supra, I created a post here, asking if anyone in the San Diego area would stop by to let me at least sit in their Supra. Thankfully, Jason did let me drive his, and that sealed my fate. Like you, I was getting frustrated trying to find one with one of two color choices. I ended up finding a 2024 45th Anniv. model, not too far from here. I kept searching on Toyota.com. Unfortunately, my car has a diff leak at 700 miles, so it may be another couple of weeks before I get it back while they wait for the special tools and seal. Thus, I again wait.......

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
You live in CT, my old home state from way back. When I lived there, I had a 68 Corvette vert. The one time I got caught in a snowstorm was enough to convince me that I needed a second car. Hopefully, you already saw the 40,000 mile Supra report by Car & Driver. Supras and snow do not mix.

When I realized that dealerships were not going to let me sit in or drive a Supra, I created a post here, asking if anyone in the San Diego area would stop by to let me at least sit in their Supra. Thankfully, Jason did let me drive his, and that sealed my fate. Like you, I was getting frustrated trying to find one with one of two color choices. I ended up finding a 2024 45th Anniv. model, not too far from here. I kept searching on Toyota.com. Unfortunately, my car has a diff leak at 700 miles, so it may be another couple of weeks before I get it back while they wait for the special tools and seal. Thus, I again wait.......
The Supra is fine in the snow with the right tires. Though I definitely wouldn’t want to get caught in deep snow with mine. That’s obviously covered in the car and driver long term test, but there are plenty of other cars with near identical ground clearance I would expect similar results from.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A

Let us know how the test drive goes compared to the Supra. I got an itch recently for the G87 M2 due mainly to the S58 and feeling like the M2 has more interior room than the Supra. I'm 5' 9" so by no means call and the Supra gives me Lower back pains if I don't have a lumbar cushion support. Maybe I need to compare after I lose a few pounds.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

I never sat in a car I’ve bought in a long time…. Ordered most from other states or different parts of Florida. Wife and I were really picky about manual cars at one time (not so long ago) and had to do that to get what we wanted. We never let the dealer do it for us. Have some dealer friends/neighbors. It’s no secret it costs more to “locate“ one and swap inventory.

Maybe if I was buying a Ferrari or Bugatti I’d want to see it up close & in person. To each his/her own for sure. If you really want one and it fits like a glove, do the Toyota zip code search and find dealers that have one in stock or in route. They will be willing to deal with you directly. Mores so than another dealer.

We’ve done the same thing for BMWs in the past. Local dealer tells us no way you can find XYZ at said price. It’s actually fun proving them wrong. Don’t listen to the hype. The dealers with them want to sell. You want to buy. Make it happen amigo! Sounds like you won’t be sorry (like most of us).

Last edited:

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I never sat in a car I’ve bought in a long time…. Ordered most from other states or different parts of Florida. Wife and I were really picky about manual cars at one time (not so long ago) and had to do that to get what we wanted. We never let the dealer do it for us. Have some dealer friends/neighbors. It’s no secret it costs more to “locate“ one and swap inventory.

Maybe if I was buying a Ferrari or Bugatti I’d want to see it up close & in person. To each his/her own for sure. If you really want one and it fits like a glove, do the Toyota zip code search and find dealers that have one in stock or in route. They will be willing to deal with you directly. Mores so than another dealer.

We’ve done the same thing for BMWs in the past. Local dealer tells us no way you can find XYZ at said price. It’s actually fun proving them wrong. Don’t listen to the hype. The dealers with them want to sell. You want to buy. Make it happen amigo! Sounds like you won’t be sorry (like most of us).
Same here. I always ship my cars across the country because I find them with no markup or no dealership bs on the east coast or mid west. The M2 is easier to locate and sit in than the 6MT MKV Supra was for me. Some local BMW dealership recently gave me the, we need to make sure the payments and numbers "make sense" before we can allow you to test drive an M car, type of excuse. Gtfoh. This ain't some rare hyper car.

Last edited:

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Let us know how the test drive goes compared to the Supra. I got an itch recently for the G87 M2 due mainly to the S58 and feeling like the M2 has more interior room than the Supra. I'm 5' 9" so by no means call and the Supra gives me Lower back pains if I don't have a lumbar cushion support. Maybe I need to compare after I lose a few pounds.
Imo it is more spacious, way better visiblity, better daily sporty coupe with good performance.
Just not a sports car :drive:

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Same here. I always ship my cars across the country because I find them with no markup or no dealership bs on the east coast or mid west. The M2 is easier to locate and sit in than the 6MT MKV Supra was for me. Some local BMW dealership recently gave me the, we need to make sure the payments and numbers "make sure" before we can allow you to test drive an M car, type of excuse. Gtfoh. This ain't some rare hyper car.
I test drove both an auto and a manual Supra before I pulled the trigger on the manual. Interestingly, here it is Honda dealers who think they sell supercars - Even as a current Type R driver, I couldn't get a test drive on a Type R without dropping a $500 "only refundable if you don't like the car" deposit.

Umm.. no thanks.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Drove one.

Yea it's gonna be a no.

Manual sucks/traditional BMW shifter slop brand new out the gate.

Touchscreens everywhere is AIDS.

S58 might be a beast of an engine but it sounds horrid.

Weight was noticeable, it's larger and wider than the outgoing F87.

Overall, I think it's actually good value for what it is, but there are A LOT of compromises.

Dare I say, more than the Supra.
I found myself reading this comment with a British accent… no idea why.

10/10 read though

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
The Supra interior feels so much more purposeful and personal vs the M2 cabin. Minimalism is the keyword here when sitting inside the cabin. The steering wheel, the manual shifter, the big tachometer are all a spirited driver will need.

The G87 M2 AT stock doesn't 'feel' fast (but is fast) at all even though car reviewers or owners are bragging about its 0-100kmh or quarter miles. The thing feels heavy and is heavy so people going in looking for a pure sports car experience will get bored in no time. People who drag race and like to brag about numbers will probably like to own it for a while until something better comes along.