Took car to dealer for recall work and now tune gone?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Just an update on what happened. Sent the ECU to my tuner, unlocked and remapped, and being sent back like nothing ever happened. Dealership thought about refunding me the price of the tune and once they saw the receipt I haven’t heard back lol
Cheap bastards, they should cover it. haha

-RJM
Sponsored

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Man I would just play dumb if the tune was lost. Most dealerships would try to void the warranty if you told them it was tuned. I even remove my OBD MX+ before I take it in. I don't want to give them any ammunition for voiding the warranty.

OP
OP
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I hear ya. I honestly only called them to see who was incapable of reading the service report to not flash. I wasn’t looking for anything under than an apology and why they flashed it when I specifically said not to. If they void the warranty it is what it is. Bought the car to enjoy it and whatever comes of it is all apart of the game is how I chalk it up

lmore377

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
ISTA probably warned that there was an update available when they plugged into the car. With the electronics from BMW, all of the control units in the car are updated at the same time and as far as I know you can't update an individual ECU.

Moorman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Car(s)
2020 Supra (RIP); 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range
I would love to know what the updates achieve. If, for example, an update brought more consistency/predictability to how the rear diff behaves, it would be worth the cost of a bench unlock to me.

King Reneau

First Name
Reneau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
96 Toyota Supra MKIV, 20 Toyota Supra MKV
My comment might be OBE but the recall requires them to go into the computer S/W. The only recall that I'm aware of is for the braking pressure issue. I talked to mechanic at my Toyota dealership and he told me that whenever he puts the diagnostic tool in the car in the background the diagnostic tool checks the S/W against the OEM than automatically flashes out any discrepancies. The mechanic can't even bypass it.

I fell into this issue as week. I have a 2019 August Supra and the recall destroyed my tune. Has anyone been able to get their time back after a recall?

Morale of story dont let the diagnostic tool touch your car

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
My comment might be OBE but the recall requires them to go into the computer S/W. The only recall that I'm aware of is for the braking pressure issue. I talked to mechanic at my Toyota dealership and he told me that whenever he puts the diagnostic tool in the car in the background the diagnostic tool checks the S/W against the OEM than automatically flashes out any discrepancies. The mechanic can't even bypass it.

I fell into this issue as week. I have a 2019 August Supra and the recall destroyed my tune. Has anyone been able to get their time back after a recall?

Morale of story dont let the diagnostic tool touch your car
Bench unlock and reflash

King Reneau

First Name
Reneau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bench unlock and reflash
That's the only way for 2019 Supras? Just making sure cuz my tuner wasn't sure if it was possible when we talked over the phone. I'm taking it there next Friday for him to look at it and see if he can get into the ECU. I'm a little angry (myself for taking it to the dealer {I had a parking sensor issue} and my and very nervous that it might not work. Any info that I get from you guys and gals I'm going to send it to my new tuner

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's the only way for 2019 Supras? Just making sure cuz my tuner wasn't sure if it was possible when we talked over the phone. I'm taking it there next Friday for him to look at it and see if he can get into the ECU. I'm a little angry (myself for taking it to the dealer {I had a parking sensor issue} and my and very nervous that it might not work. Any info that I get from you guys and gals I'm going to send it to my new tuner
Where'd my macro for this go? lol. If you were ever able to be tuned, you can be tuned. You'll need a bench unlock.

https://www.viscontituning.com/pages/toyota-supra-recall-update-infomation

pittperson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
I got home and reflashed my tune with no problem. Mind you, I got drilled on here for that comment with everyone saying that is the worst thing you can do. The dealer is adamant that my car was 100% fixed. The internets say that is impossible! I have multiple emails from them, including a PDF of the entire process that Toyota gives to the dealers. I have full screen carplay which would lead one to believe that the recall fix was completed. Once again, the internets say that is impossible, and the dealer only did half the work.

I don't know who is right and who is wrong, but I'm 100% sure the internet army will say the dealer is wrong.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got home and reflashed my tune with no problem. Mind you, I got drilled on here for that comment with everyone saying that is the worst thing you can do. The dealer is adamant that my car was 100% fixed. The internets say that is impossible! I have multiple emails from them, including a PDF of the entire process that Toyota gives to the dealers. I have full screen carplay which would lead one to believe that the recall fix was completed. Once again, the internets say that is impossible, and the dealer only did half the work.

I don't know who is right and who is wrong, but I'm 100% sure the internet army will say the dealer is wrong.
Just check your version numbers.

King Reneau

First Name
Reneau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Where'd my macro for this go? lol. If you were ever able to be tuned, you can be tuned. You'll need a bench unlock.

https://www.viscontituning.com/pages/toyota-supra-recall-update-infomation
So I found that article frim viscontituning before I came to the forums. I was trying to confirm their fix would work. It sounds like post the recall it will still work. I'll let everyone know after next Friday but the above statement gives me confidence that it will work and my new tuner can tune it since it was tuned before

HaiFrends

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 GR Supra Nocturnal Black
Man I would just play dumb if the tune was lost. Most dealerships would try to void the warranty if you told them it was tuned. I even remove my OBD MX+ before I take it in. I don't want to give them any ammunition for voiding the warranty.
I left my OBD MX+ in the port on accident when i TOLD them to do the brake recall. they even called me if i was sure i wanted the recall done because it would erase tunes, settings, etc. I said YES do the recall (i was still well within warranty with only bimmercode coding in so i didnt care) so I got the car back and they didnt do the brake recall. nothing was reset in carplay, bimmercode was still active. had to bring it to another dealership because that was the last straw with this specific dealership messing things up for me and my wife's car lol. The worse part is they documented that the recall was performed when it wasn't. The new dealership was like "yeaaa youre right it wasn't done. we're going to have to report this to HR" and i was like GOOD. that other dealership is trash. ANYWAY. new dealer did my last free oil change and the brake recall...and now i should be done with them entirely lol. ecutek is ordered too.
Sponsored