Toyota free track day and NASA membership

AyeBird

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bagged 9th gen Accord and hopefully, an A90.
Track days don’t count as competitive driving or racing, right? Photo of my warranty termination guidelines makes me sceptical.
0DA1BA59-1146-46C1-87BB-50AD9C826F51.jpeg
Quoted from Toyota themselves after a GT86’s motor blew after doing an auto cross event…

Toyota said:
While the vehicle’s warranty excludes damage that results from activities such as misuse and racing, simply participating in National Auto Sport Association (NASA) High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) or similar NASA instructional events provided complimentary to GR owners would not, in and of itself, void the warranty. Warranty claims are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Track days don’t count as competitive driving or racing, right? Photo of my warranty termination guidelines makes me sceptical.

track days do NOT. They are called HPDE for a reason . It is measured learning to drive your car near your limits.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
as others have said, HPDE is not considered "competitive" driving nor racing because of following reasons.

- no award or recognition is given.
- no time is measured.

because time is measured during autocross session, autocross is classified as competitive driving. you may also say you measure your lap time when you are at the track during HPDE... however, as soon as insurance or warranty assessor hears that you were measuring lap time, they may deny your claim as you were in competitive driving.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Great question and definitely not competition. In fact you can be kicked out if you try to race. Well said @Rocksandblues and @nibble

You really learn how to drive at the limits and become a better driver. It’s a beautiful thing….

Last edited:

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Just curious when you get your track information after you apply. I’m guessing a couple weeks prior? I applied about 6 weeks ago and track day is about 2 months away but haven’t heard anything.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just curious when you get your track information after you apply. I’m guessing a couple weeks prior? I applied about 6 weeks ago and track day is about 2 months away but haven’t heard anything.
Make sure you have your membership number. Login to the NASA website:

https://members.drivenasa.com/events

and hit your profile in the upper right corner. Then find your events.

If you don’t see it, you can look up your local chapter and give them a shout:

1677242764139.png

Hope that helps. Most of our clubs over here usually send out track specific (event) info the week of. Some suggestions from another track group, Chin Motorsports:

https://www.chintrackdays.com/tips-faqs.aspx

Which track did you pick to try 1st? Laguna Seca is on my bucket list… someday 😍

Last edited:

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I got a folder in the mail this week from NASA talking about it. I looked into it before this packet arrived only to discover the closest NASA track to me is like 400 miles away. I wasn't going to claim my "free track day" mostly because of that, but hey... the folder has a nice sticker in it?

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got a folder in the mail this week from NASA talking about it. I looked into it before this packet arrived only to discover the closest NASA track to me is like 400 miles away. I wasn't going to claim my "free track day" mostly because of that, but hey... the folder has a nice sticker in it?
Damn that sucks! What is your closest track? Even if not free, highly recommend you go out and stretch her legs… so much fun dude!

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Damn that sucks! What is your closest track? Even if not free, highly recommend you go out and stretch her legs… so much fun dude!
According to the NASA website their closest tracks to me are in the Ozarks and over in Topeka Kansas. The Ozark track is closer at 200 miles, but that is still a good distance to travel just to run on a track for a little bit then drive 200 miles back home.

Honestly I'm in no real rush to track my car, I'm more than happy just being able to drive it around town when the weather gets above freezing. It's 26 degrees out right now and I see ice in the bird bath out back, hopefully it hits the 50's this weekend as they're saying.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX

Glad you made the plunge 🏎 💨 You‘re going to have so much fun 🤩. Which track did you pick to try 1st? Laguna Seca is on my bucket list… someday 😍
Thanks. I’m in N Cali and had the choice of Sonoma or Thunderhills and chose TH after checking a few other comments that TH would be better for new track drivers

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Thanks. I’m in N Cali and had the choice of Sonoma or Thunderhills and chose TH after checking a few other comments that TH would be better for new track drivers
Thunderhill was my home track for over 15years. I've done thousands of laps there. Technically Sonoma was closer but I enjoyed Thunderhill more as it's way less dangerous.

There is only one wall at Thunderhill and it's in the straights. I have seen roll-overs there but I can say that about pretty much any track.

Overall, IMHO, it's the safest track in Northern California.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I am really bummed out I missed out on my free track day in 2021 when I purchased the car. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer about 5 weeks after I bought the car and spent the rest of 2021 fighting it.

I'm making up for it now though as I just booked my 6th track day for this season with SCDA. I'd like to do at least 10 events this year.

I will look into NASA events around me as well.

GR_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium, '90 NA Miata, '05 Saab 92x
FWIW, when I did my NASA track day (as a complete track n00b) at Sonoma, I was worried about crashing or something bad happening. First session was "slow" but still faster than I expected but it was a good warm up to get some of the jitters out. An instructor rides along with you and helps you learn the line and keep you out of trouble. By the third session the nervousness passed and I was just having fun. Part of it was just learning the line but the other part that was confidence-inspiring was the car's great grip and power that I never experienced in normal driving. Anyway, no accidents, no noticeable rock chips. Just burned about half a tank of gas, explored new limits of the power and grip of the car, and chatted with other track folks in between sessions. Looking forward to doing it again when I have time.

@decodeddiesel - glad you fought it off and are making up for lost time.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
My packet came in today. Now to pick a track. I've already done Road Atlanta, AMP, and I have Barber in April...

Homestead? HMMMM

(im in Atlanta so I'm not wanting to travel toooooo far)
Sponsored