Toyota Supra rumored to be offered with 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder base model

Are you going to buy the 4 cylinder version?

• Total voters

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw this...wow what a fricking disappointment, they are sticking an SC300 NA engine in this car? front and rear calipers from a GS300? I'm moving my position on this car from "hopefully optimistic" to "too hyped up and will flop". my guess is toyota's gonna make this car, media will praise it for handling but say it doesn't compare well with the competition, then people are going to wait for the "off lease" cars, toyota won't sell these in any meaningful quantities after the 1st year and then discontinue this in about 4 years after release and then blame the market for not buying a product that took way too long to develop and lost its competitiveness before it hit the market.
FTFY

tenor.gif
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, the chief engineer's good friend made a comment that 95% of these people couldn't afford the car on release and/or wouldn't purchase the car regardless.

Most folks that modify cars buy cars used, off lease or a few years old which essentially means fairly little to Toyota. Even then, the Supra isn't going to be cheap, so many will hard pass on it...

Theyre still confident the target buyer for this car wants it and they have reached that conclusion through market research and focus groups.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also hasn't A70 wrote repeatedly the 4cyl version of this car isn't destined for north america? I guess when it comes to complaints, that's the flavour of the week.
That is the case but considering TMC can do whatever it wants within reason, it's not unreasonable. If it does come over, I highly doubt it will carry over the Supra name.

We'll see sooner or later what they have planned for N/A.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, they can pretty much do whatever provided there is a business case, but no that motor was definitely not destined for the US.

We will see where that ends up soon.
I mean, I'm estimating but if it is 262 HP as numbers are reporting and somehow weighs 2800 lbs, that thing is going to kill the 86 sales despite the price increase. 40k potentially for great interior in comparison to 86, R&D and not step on Subaru's STI sales by the way. It's a leap from 26k, but not too far from2 6 to 52 like a Inline 6 Supra has.

I say Celica but it doesn't make sense to me. Then again, working with BMW didn't make sense at first and look where we are now.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't see it being anywhere near that light unfortunately, but if it did end up being around that with that hp level then I'd personally be far more attracted to that car than anything else provided it comes in manual.

Less money, light weight, and similar p/w to S15? That's good times right there lol.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think we would all love manual, but testing suggest it is an afterthought. I would get the Inline 4 personally if it is the same as the higher trim barring engine and suspension differences.

I see the business part of it all though with the rest of the trims.

Inline 4= Entry point for enthusiasts, want Supra Badge, modders, Subaru STI customers
Inline6= Modders, 55 year old corvette customers, Want Supra Badge
GRMN Inline 6= Modders, Halo Car and drivers with too much money who will garage it to sell after it appreciates in ten years.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
You guys already know how I feel about a 4 cyl Supra, but idk if I buy the argument that it will be a stepping stone for 86 owners. Assuming they price it at $50k; that is like double the price of the 86. It would be much cheaper and practical to just turbo charge the 86. This is just my opinion for the US market, I'm not sure what the pricing is world wide.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was told around $40k as recently as two weeks ago, but that was broad spectrum (not for a specific country)

still a bit steep, but I know a lot of people that would buy it if it ends up being 3000lbs or less with ~260hp.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve modified my Viper, Z06 and my Shelby. Heck I’ve started modifying the GX460 I got last week. I’ve bought them all brand new.. so that assumption about people that modify cars will buy used is a blanket statement that’s inaccurate.
Sponsored