Toyota Supra rumored to be offered with 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder base model

Are you going to buy the 4 cylinder version?

• Total voters

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
But the tire size on the new supra 4k video is much to big for just 290HP.

I think it'll have around 320 to compete with civic type r's golf r's and so on
One of the prototypes photographed was running 18s, and one 19s. I think 18s are ideal for the lower powered version - aggressive but not over the top like the 20s on a Cayman or Boxster. It's about proportion - the Golf and especially the Type R are taller cars so they need proportionately bigger wheels to look "right".

On power levels, 320 hp is much more likely to be coming from a 6 cylinder motor than 280 hp is, so I hope you're correct. I don't really care about the 40 hp advantage so much; I want a 6 rather than a 4.
Sponsored

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Oh, you are talking about tire width. See your point. The 306 HP Type R only has 245s all round, and it's a reasonably light car at a little over 3100 lbs.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
One thing that we have not heard about the 4 cylinder is the price . The earliest report from japanese sources said the car would be about 4 million yen ( 35k $ ) for the 4 cyl and 6 million yen for the 6 cylinder (53k $).

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not about the wheel size, I meant tire size.

The test mule had
Front : 255/40R18

Rear : 275/40R18

On the rear axle this is to brought for just 290hp
Considering a very popular size that a modified Skyline GT-R is 265/35R18 then 275 width is well and truly an overkill for some 280-300bhp car. I mean, these usually modified GT-Rs run 400-500bhp and 265s are a perfect match, and we also speak of 1990's tech.
275s - I'd expect 400bhp minimum for something this wide.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
Considering a very popular size that a modified Skyline GT-R is 265/35R18 then 275 width is well and truly an overkill for some 280-300bhp car. I mean, these usually modified GT-Rs run 400-500bhp and 265s are a perfect match, and we also speak of 1990's tech.
275s - I'd expect 400bhp minimum for something this wide.
Keep in mind RWD vs AWD. But i do agree. With todays tire tech, 275s are overkill

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Yeap the current S engine was supposed to be replaced in the M models , i can't remember the exact reasons but there are many merits to re-engineer the S engine instead of just give it a Technical Update(TU).

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i can see them offering a 4 cyl for places like the EU, but if Toyota were to bring it over to the US and price it at $50k it would be DOA...

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Let's lock this thread up! ;)

you're forgetting that the 4cyl was never designed for the US, and likely makes decent power without the EU particulate filter... that said, I was told two weeks ago 4cyl was no go for USA for like the 20th time, so.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...ld-a-four-cylinder-supra/?src=socialflowFBRAT

Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

The BMW engineering behind the Supra was also very apparent when Toyota ran a prototype at Goodwood last weekend. We were able to get a very good look at the brakes, noting that they're straight from the BMW parts bin. The rotor sizes are unknown, but the front and rear calipers are a direct match for those found on the G30-generation BMW 5-series which also uses the B48 and B58 engines that seem to be slated for the Supra.

ecae

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ND Miata
Just saw this...wow what a fricking disappointment, they are sticking a 330i engine in this car? front and rear calipers from a 5 series? I'm moving my position on this car from "hopefully optimistic" to "too hyped up and will flop". my guess is toyota's gonna make this car, media will praise it for handling but say it doesn't compare well with the competition, then people are going to wait for the "off lease" cars, toyota won't sell these in any meaningful quantities after the 1st year and then discontinue this in about 4 years after release and then blame the market for not buying a product that took way too long to develop and lost its competitiveness before it hit the market.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Just saw this...wow what a fricking disappointment, they are sticking a 330i engine in this car? front and rear calipers from a 5 series? I'm moving my position on this car from "hopefully optimistic" to "too hyped up and will flop". my guess is toyota's gonna make this car, media will praise it for handling but say it doesn't compare well with the competition, then people are going to wait for the "off lease" cars, toyota won't sell these in any meaningful quantities after the 1st year and then discontinue this in about 4 years after release and then blame the market for not buying a product that took way too long to develop and lost its competitiveness before it hit the market.
Would you rather like to have LESS options to choose from? Porsche Cayman is already a 4 cylinder (with no 6-cyl option), hell even Mustangs have turbo 4 engines, it doesn`t mean that you have to buy that version.

Making a cheaper version will help to make the car profitable and increase sales, specially in markets where displacement is taxed heavily and fuel is expensive. It may not make sense for the US but Toyota is a global company. Just as with your ND which is sold with a sweet 1.5 engine in other countries.

Calipers were documented a long time ago. Same as the M2. Who cares which other car uses them, as long as they work well.

As for your prediction of a sales failure for a car that we still don`t know the price, final specs, and nobody has even driven one, no comments.
Sponsored

Last edited: