Toyota Supra rumored to be offered with 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder base model

Are you going to buy the 4 cylinder version?

• Total voters

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
lol carscoops is awesome

pls wake me up when this 4 cyl makes 400 HP especially when the previous M140i's inline 6 couldn't even make 350 HP and other brands are struggling to get 400 HP with their 6s..
The current M140i is rated at 335hp, but owners have shown dyno numbers ranging anywhere from 350hp-370hp. Im not saying if they will or wont, but I dont think its impossible. Mercedes has the current A45 AMG at 381hp.
Sponsored

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Moving on, hopefully the Toyota people that monitor social media see this thread and realize a majority of us do not want a 4 cyl Supra. It is also worth noting that in the US the TT MK4 slightly out sold the NA models.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
if they have a 4 cyl model, it definitely ain't having more than 400 HP as the base engine lol...what room does that leave for the supposed powertrain option? in the merc, that amg is the top variant..

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I hope these leaks/rumors are wrong. Personally I wouldn't buy a 4 cyl Supra. However, if they do release one I hope it has more power that what we are hearing. It would be a hard sell on 248hp for $50k. There are so many better choices out there in that price point.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
If they offer a 4 cylinder base model, I will consider buying a different car.
This is a legitimate complaint.

Why go and spend, e.g., $65k+ when someone else can buy the same car with a 4cyl for $~40k. It makes the car less special. If you're driving a 911, there's some exclusivity to that. There's a barrier to entry. It's special. And people know you spent some money. Even with a Corvette, there is a minimum barrier to entry, and each car, even a stripper base model, is an impressive and special car.

Offering a cheap version means the rest of the car is going to be cheapened to begin with. The build quality of the whole range is going to suffer since Toyota has to make money on even the 4cyl cheap models, so corners will be cut, compromises made, which doesn't have to happen when the cost of entry is higher. Personally I don't want an expensive version of a cheap model. I want the stripper model of the supercar, if anything.

And then it's just that much harder to buy these things and find what you want to begin with, sorting through all the undesirable cars.

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
This is a legitimate complaint.

Why go and spend, e.g., $65k+ when someone else can buy the same car with a 4cyl for $~40k. It makes the car less special. If you're driving a 911, there's some exclusivity to that. There's a barrier to entry. It's special. And people know you spent some money. Even with a Corvette, there is a minimum barrier to entry, and each car, even a stripper base model, is an impressive and special car.

Offering a cheap version means the rest of the car is going to be cheapened to begin with. The build quality of the whole range is going to suffer since Toyota has to make money on even the 4cyl cheap models, so corners will be cut, compromises made, which doesn't have to happen when the cost of entry is higher. Personally I don't want an expensive version of a cheap model. I want the stripper model of the supercar, if anything.

And then it's just that much harder to buy these things and find what you want to begin with, sorting through all the undesirable cars.
I don't understand this elitist argument. It's basically just a different configuration. This car was developed from the ground up as a sports car. Offering different engine trims, options, and prices does not mean compromises would be made for the top trim model.

The 4 cyl car would not be $65K and it would look different on the exterior and the interior as far as unique body panels / interior trim.

The ZR1/Z06, 911 GT3/GTS, Mustang 350/R, Camaro Z/28, AMGs, RS's, M Cars, Type Rs, STI/EVOS among many, many other examples all have much cheaper models ( and 4 cyl versions). But do they cheapen the high performance trims? No.

This isn't going to be a $100k carbon-bodied super exclusive car. At the rumored price point, having a 4 cyl option is perfectly justified.

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I don't understand this argument. It's basically just a different configuration. This car was developed from the ground up as a sports car. Offering different engine trims, options, and prices does not mean compromises would be made for the top trim model.

The 4 cyl car would not be $65K and it would look different on the exterior and the interior as far as unique body panels / interior trim.

The ZR1/Z06, 911 GT3/GTS, Mustang 350/R, Camaro Z/28, AMGs, RS's, M Cars, Type Rs, STI/EVOS among many, many other examples all have much cheaper models ( and 4 cyl versions). But do they cheapen the high performance trims? No.

This isn't going to be a $100k carbon-bodied super exclusive car. At the rumored price point, having a 4 cyl is perfectly justified.
Is the Shelby 350 not limited by the design of the Mustang? Is a GT3RS not limited by its 911 underpinnings?

You can spend $70k on a GT350R, but at the end of the day you're still driving a Mustang. It still drives and rides and looks like a Mustang. Car guys know the difference but everyone else doesn't. The fact that the Shelby 350 is a Mustang absolutely cheapens it, that's why it's not $100k+. It might perform as well as cars twice the price, but there's only so much people will pay for a Mustang. Same for the GT3.

If Ford decided to start selling a $50,000 version of the new GT, owners would be livid. And Ford wouldn't even be able to do that since the inherent design of the car would cost more than that to produce.

There's a big difference between a cheap car that's tarted up, and a sportscar that is expensive to begin with. Or even a tarted-up sportscar vs a supercar.

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
Is the Shelby 350 not limited by the design of the Mustang? Is a GT3RS not limited by its 911 underpinnings?

You can spend $70k on a GT350R, but at the end of the day you're still driving a Mustang. It still drives and rides and looks like a Mustang. Car guys know the difference but everyone else doesn't. The fact that the Shelby 350 is a Mustang absolutely cheapens it, that's why it's not $100k+. It might perform as well as cars twice the price, but there's only so much people will pay for a Mustang. Same for the GT3.

If Ford decided to start selling a $50,000 version of the new GT, owners would be livid. And Ford wouldn't even be able to do that since the inherent design of the car would cost more than that to produce.

There's a big difference between a cheap car that's tarted up, and a sportscar that is expensive to begin with. Or even a tarted-up sportscar vs a supercar.
It's laughable people actually expect a 60k-80k car to have one unique configuration. Going by what we've seen so far, even if this car comes in a 6 cyl turbo configuration only, its performance and quality will probably still be behind those "cheapened" cars of today in the same price range.

Even the MKIV had an NA version you would consider to cheapen the 2JZ-GTE model. Be realistic with your expectations. What sport scar under $100,000 today doesn't have a cheaper, less expensive option? Does that car feel more exclusive and perform better? What is a sports car that would be okay in your book

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
  • F39 X2 M35i will be introduced in mid-2018 as a 2019 model. It will be the first model to use the new iteration of B48 engine producing approximately 300hp. Only automatic transmission will be available. The car will have the same bits offered on the already introduced X2 models equipped with M Sport package, adding LED lights as standard and special M Sport seats (not clear yet, if they'll be standard or optional)
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686
p1.jpg

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Well the B58 will move to about 380 hp , and the S58 will be introduced with more than 450 hp in 2019-2020 for M models , who knows? :)
Something that troubles me tho is why didn't toyota make a move with a mild hybrid setup , so even if a bmw engine makes lets say 380 hp with the hybrid it would make over 410hp. This setup could have been there to help spool turbos so it is like you have the positives of both turbo and supercharges , so no turbo lag .Also it could have been the THS-R (toyota hybrid system - racing). I dont know if i am a fan of hybrids but early rumors suggested that thing.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I commented in a few other threads that I had been told the 4cyl power level had been bumped a decent amount (I think I put my guess at around 290hp). It makes the most sense as you then have two trim levels seperated by ~100hp, different brakes, and then you get into the aesthetics. The 4cyl is also then able to compete against some other cars and explains why the spec-A car cruising the ring lately seems quite a bit quicker than 240hp.

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
But the tire size on the new supra 4k video is much to big for just 290HP.

I think it'll have around 320 to compete with civic type r's golf r's and so on

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
If BMW says 300hp; more than likely that means closer to 320hp on dyno.
Sponsored