Toyota Supra rumored to be offered with 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder base model

Are you going to buy the 4 cylinder version?

• Total voters

MATT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 ACCORD
I believe "similar to the 86" would not just be a 4 cylinder, it would be a 4 cylinder ONLY and nothing else. There is room for a four that makes 300 hp as the base model and a 400 hp twin turbo V6
Sponsored

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
You know 4-banger engines are making up to 400hp these days when tuned aggressively. This isn't the 90's-2000's anymore. They are outperforming some v8's I grew up with and a lot of NA v6 engines today.
There's a differnce between being able to output 400 and being able to do it reliably, safely and offered with a factory warranty.

500strong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
You know 4-banger engines are making up to 400hp these days when tuned aggressively. This isn't the 90's-2000's anymore. They are outperforming some v8's I grew up with and a lot of NA v6 engines today.

I'm not saying I want one but as the OP said the business case (cheaper) and performance reasons (they are offering cheap and pretty big power) is a reason they are getting more and more popular in some demanding sports cars. Even the new Mustang has a turbo 4.
If they do, the 4 cyl model better be priced less than $40-50,000. No American is gonna pay more than 50 grand for a 4 cylinder. At that price range people expect a premium product and a 4 cyl powered car isn't usually considered a premium product.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Toyota insiders have already hinted that they favor a V6 for the Supra, if for no other reason than they want to avoid redundancy with the 86. A V6 and up just makes more sense for Toyota's flagship performance vehicle.

This is from Toyota's chairman who said that this new sports coupe will be more akin to the MKIV.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/235392/toyota-supra-style-replacement-favoured-by-incoming-chairman/
Didn't think about that point until reading your post. Can you imagine trying to sell a Supra for double the price of the FR-S but featuring the same # of cylinders. Good luck with that :doh:

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Vote no. Not a fan of small displacement engines for pure sports cars. Fuel efficiency shouldn't be the primary concern for a purebred sports car like the MKV is supposed to be.
Why does it matter if it is offered as the base for cheap? It's all about choice. I never understand why people hate on that.

500strong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
Why does it matter if it is offered as the base for cheap? It's all about choice. I never understand why people hate on that.
i'm not hating on it, I was answering the OP's thread. More options equals costs that get spread to all owners of a car. I just don't see a huge market for 4cyl buyers at this price point and think Toyota should put everything into building the most affordable and best V6 they can. I think most Supra fans would agree.

EvoX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo
Didn't think about that point until reading your post. Can you imagine trying to sell a Supra for double the price of the FR-S but featuring the same # of cylinders. Good luck with that :doh:
Or imagine the comparisons to the other flagship sports cars. i think it would get mocked against cars like the C7, GT-R etc. Not only due to power but it won't sound nearly as nice as a turbo 6 or V8.

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
Oh the 4 cylinder owner flaming that the V6 or V8 owners would do. Would be a bloodbath. :flame:

OP
OP

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
I'm not sure why you think that is. I can see why domestic brand loyalists and muscle car guys would hate on a 4 cylinder but the import market has tons of great cars with less than 6 cylinders and they don't get flamed on.

It's different times we are living in now.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Nope.

I don't care how great a value the car is, how good of mileage it gets, I don't want a cheap Toyota sporty car; I want an authentic world-class sportscar.

Yeah sure in theory they could give us formula one 4 cylinder engines with 700 horsepower, but it's not going to happen.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
i'm not hating on it, I was answering the OP's thread. More options equals costs that get spread to all owners of a car. I just don't see a huge market for 4cyl buyers at this price point and think Toyota should put everything into building the most affordable and best V6 they can. I think most Supra fans would agree.
+1

In addition to cost, I don't want the Supra to have some cheap platform. I also don't want the new Supra brand to be diluted by a bunch of cheaper versions running around. This new car should be special.

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
If Toyota is wanting this car to give it the sports car image boost that the GT-R gave to Nissan, they need to be smart about this. There's already lots of people here that indicated that the image of the car matters. And a 4 cylinder affects the image of the car, negatively.

Nadeshot!

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My trusty Jeep
+1

In addition to cost, I don't want the Supra to have some cheap platform. I also don't want the new Supra brand to be diluted by a bunch of cheaper versions running around. This new car should be special.
As elitest as that sounds I totally agree. GT-R has one and one single powerful engine only. That's how you maintain halo status.

If I'm paying this money for a car I want it to be exclusive.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
Nope.

I don't care how great a value the car is, how good of mileage it gets, I don't want a cheap Toyota sporty car; I want an authentic world-class sportscar.

Yeah sure in theory they could give us formula one 4 cylinder engines with 700 horsepower, but it's not going to happen.
Not to mention i'd rather not have my engine blow up on me after 1000 miles. Race car numbers don't matter for a production car.. realistically a 4cyl is going to reliably make and be offered at 350-400 and not much more with a warranty. Really thatt would be total fail if the Supra revival comes out swinging for a base hit.
Sponsored