Toyota Supra vs Honda Civic Type R

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Was looking for one and all the dealerships still had markups and thought they were sitting on gold. I thank them for sending me to get an A91 instead. I wouldn't spend a penny over sticker on a Civic as a matter of principal.

TexasMKV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium
I had considered it since I wanted a manual and all the features it had. I also considered a Honda Sport 2.0T 6Spd but they stopped production back in Dec 2019 and the local dealer had a hard time locating the one I want (sold out nationwide). There were no Type R in the local area and were sold as soon as it was listed on the dealer inventory. Plus, I wasn’t too fond of seeing more than 5 Type Rs just at my work parking lot.

The A90 wasn’t on the radar until I started looking at Sport Coupes. Used NISMO 370Z (refreshed), Q60 Red Sport and etc. Watched YT videos and was sold on the A90. BRZ/86 Twins were on the radar but they are everywhere!

No regrets on the purchase. Drives silky smooth and comfortable on Normal Mode. A blast on Sports mode!

SunbirdGTO

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 1986 Mitsubishi Starion
I love the Type R, but not as a replacement to the Supra. It would be a stable mate. It's a phenomenal car and I applaud Honda on the aggressive styling. Something Subaru with it's current "Camry with a wing STI" can learn from. As well as other companies.
But the R and Supra have NOTHING in common so no, it was never an option for me.
I agree with the stable mate concept. I have considered selling my 86 Plymouth Conquest and replacing it with the Type R for usability. Just having a hard time convincing myself to sell my Quest after all the time and money investing in restoring and updating it!

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Actually, this is a great question. I looked at the Civic R, but couldn't get past all the boy racer stuff on it. It drives really well, though.
Same here. Loved how confidence inspiring and fun the R was to drive but could not commit due to the looks. Supposedly Honda is going to go for a more reserve look that is less boy racer with the next one.

Better yet, Honda should revive the Prelude and throw the Civic Type R parts on to it.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Waiting for the rumored S2K with the R engine in it ;)
Honestly if it does happen in 2025 i'm selling my current S2k and i'm getting that.

On the original topic, i did consider a Type R. Its practical, has a great MT, decent power, handles great and personally i think it looks cool. However for the price it was a hard pill to swallow. It got to the point where i was actually looking at the Veloster N. Its a tad smaller, but a lot of people say its way more fun to drive. it has almost the same power except it comes with some really cool goodies noone talks about. its a twin scroll turbo, that Hyundai built in an antilag system with. yes a factory antilag system. The car was supposed to drive as if it was NA but with the grunt of a turbo. It also looks better than the CTR, and its cheaper than the CTR by about 5k.

End of the day i still bought the Supra because i listened to my heart instead of my head and i'm sooooo happy i did.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
I know they are both very different cars but just curious.
Nah. When I bought my last car (Z) I knew I wanted a low, 2 passenger door, RWD coupe. That meant taller, 4 passenger door, FWD/AWD hot hatches were never in the running. Nothing wrong with them, they are very capable and fast cars, but just not what I want personally.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
I actually did take look at type r before I bought the Supra. It was was hard for me to get over the boy racer looks. It's not in the same performance category but the type r, according to MSRP, is close to $15k-$20k cheaper than the Supra depending on trim.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
If you ask this question on a Type R forum, you'll get everyone that said Hell No to the Supra

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
I heavily considered buying a Type R, but all the dealerships in CA had ridiculous markups. Best OTD price I got was about 48k. Quite laughable considering that that was the sales price of the Supra I bought.

Cool car yes, Supra cool, nah :yes: