Toyota Supra will come in base and track form?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I think you guys need to keep in mind that a dude with a burner account who "saw something on a whiteboard" at Toyota HQ is not a good source lol.
While I agree theres a very slim chance this guy has even an ounce of credibility, imo he would have shot higher than 382 and mentioned a 6 speed if it wanted to create a buzz lol

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree with as careful as Toyota has been with this project for the past few years, I have my suspicion that this was left behind in a conference room or w/e. Maybe another tactic to get input on what possible buyers would be willing to pay with the rumored specs.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
An alternate route to a $9k cheaper model: drop the adaptive suspension, substitute an open diff or mechanical diff for the e-diff, smaller wheels, cheaper seating, fewer electronic nannies, non-premium audio.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
The Supra A90 is less expensive in terms of both inflation-adjusted dollars, and relative to the car market as a whole, than its predecessor. In 1993 the Supra MKIV had an MSRP of $39,900. That was 3 times the $13K asking price of the average new car. They were expensive cars.

So even if the A90 costs $65K, it's still cheaper than the A80's inflation adjusted $70K. And since average new car pricing has crept up to $36K, the MKV is less than double the going rate, instead of triple.

Everybody wants every new car to hit that magical Holy Grail sweet spot of ā€œFaster than anything cheaper. Cheaper than anything faster.ā€ Trust me, cars like that donā€™t come along often.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I'd like to shed more light on this, but as said before GR politely asked everyone to stay quiet and let them handle the launch. I'm respecting those wishes, especially given that came from one of the individuals that previously encouraged some sharing.

The car will offer something for almost everyone though, and Tada knows many enthusiasts prefer a car all about performance without compromise :)

(I also gave some of this away before lol)

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ O M G!!!!
Tada is coming out with a Build-Your-Own-Supra kit!!! All sent to you in 60 monthly parts installments!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I'd like to shed more light on this, but as said before GR politely asked everyone to stay quiet and let them handle the launch. I'm respecting those wishes, especially given that came from one of the individuals that previously encouraged some sharing.

The car will offer something for almost everyone though, and Tada knows many enthusiasts prefer a car all about performance without compromise :)

(I also gave some of this away before lol)
Could you at least tell us if the 4 banger is coming our (US) way?

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
The Supra A90 is less expensive in terms of both inflation-adjusted dollars, and relative to the car market as a whole, than its predecessor. In 1993 the Supra MKIV had an MSRP of $39,900. That was 3 times the $13K asking price of the average new car. They were expensive cars.

So even if the A90 costs $65K, it's still cheaper than the A80's inflation adjusted $70K. And since average new car pricing has crept up to $36K, the MKV is less than double the going rate, instead of triple.

Everybody wants every new car to hit that magical Holy Grail sweet spot of ā€œFaster than anything cheaper. Cheaper than anything faster.ā€ Trust me, cars like that donā€™t come along often.
I actually recall the 1993 Supra was more than 39k when they were first released. The TT ran you around 46/47k. Iā€™m pretty sure of that, although I could be wrong.

In 1997 with the ā€œanniversaryā€ edition the price was lowered to 39k for the TT.

Again, not 100 percent sure.

*correction* the price started around 39k for the 93 and went up to 50k by the 96 model, then it dropped to 39k for the 97 and 98 model years.

So, 50k in 96 is very expensive car.

Last edited:

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold

While comparing costs adjusted for inflation is sound logic for most things, itā€™s not for cars. The MKIV was competing against a different market of cars then (correct me if Iā€™m wrong but 911s, Ferraris, etc.). Now there is much more competition with similar power. Itā€™s no longer competing with 911 for example.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
While comparing costs adjusted for inflation is sound logic for most things, itā€™s not for cars. The MKIV was competing against a different market of cars then (correct me if Iā€™m wrong but 911s, Ferraris, etc.). Now there is much more competition with similar power. Itā€™s no longer competing with 911 for example.
I'd love to see a toyota challenge a 911, but I think the name alone makes it damn near impossible to challenge.

Lexus on the other hand...

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
The 93.5 Premier Edition Supra turbo was in the low 40's. The Supra should have set it's target after the best just like the previous gen did. The MKV, we shall see.

0457_001b.jpg

PC180947.jpg

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Yes, they should totally replicate a sales flop that only became relevant to the world after a shitty street racer movie and gave Toyota even more reason to abandon sports cars.

I think targeting a lower price bracket and more volume was the right call. But as you say, we shall see.
Sponsored