Grumpy Aznguy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium
Hi All,
I am new here, and clueless when it comes to car engine, got a 21 Supra Premium when saw the 2021 Gr Supra on a website and knew I have to have that, didn’t know that the Supra
was out since 2020. Never own a car with that much HP, I was so scared driving home from the dealership.
Anyway, does anyone driving their Supra with the traction control and VSC off or on. It’s so confusing.
Thank you so much
236273FA-DE34-4B87-829F-FB9A3B2232BA.jpeg
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I mean, how confident are you in your counter steering? Reason you see so many Mustangs in ditches is they all think they are Paul walker and turn everything off.

Ideally, leave it on until you are comfortable with a high power rear wheel drive.

On the race track I can go 2 secs faster a lap with one click off.

djbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Pro
Best to take it easy and leave the TC on until you're comfortable with the power.

Maybe find an empty car park or some waste ground where you can turn it off and have a play with it and start to try some sliding.

When you're comfortable, then pressing the TC button once is generally enough to have some fun with the back end on normal roads in the dry.

Holding the button down to turn it all off is best left until you're really sure you know how to handle the car.

Enjoy!

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Thank you so much for the advices guys.
I feel this is more important than traction control but wider tires on this car does wonders to traction and stability of the rear end.

Stock tires are easier to slide around but if you wanna really learn the potential of your driving experience, go to an empty parking lot and turn off all Nannie’s and go for broke. Wider tires ups the challenge, but also ups your driving awareness of the car.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I always drive with the nannie's on as I only drive the car handful of times a year and don't know her limits very well... especially while parking. :ninja: If I do crash, it will be with my garage door frame. :crazy:

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
90% of the time everything stays on for me. The other 10% it's in "traction mode", that is just one short press on the VSC button. I never turn it all completely off except when doing a log for the tuner since they don't want any nannies interfering with the system.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I feel this is more important than traction control but wider tires on this car does wonders to traction and stability of the rear end.
Agreed. I was amazed at how well the traction control behaved with my 295 RT660s compared to the stock tires, this is how it always should have worked. With VSC on full on the stock tires, it would still get a bit sideways and then the ECU would overreact and cut power for a couple seconds. With the RT660s it simply won't get sideways at all with full VSC, power gets pulled smoothly when it needs it instead of waiting too long and then overreacting like on the stock tires.

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Agreed. I was amazed at how well the traction control behaved with my 295 RT660s compared to the stock tires, this is how it always should have worked. With VSC on full on the stock tires, it would still get a bit sideways and then the ECU would overreact and cut power for a couple seconds. With the RT660s it simply won't get sideways at all with full VSC, power gets pulled smoothly when it needs it instead of waiting too long and then overreacting like on the stock tires.
I’m running 295’s as well and I barely have any wheel spin in 1st and 2nd. Takes off like a tesla!

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
VSC only on the track because TC cuts in and kills power too much for good lap times + I need more seat time before I go full off.

I leave it on when on the streets. Not worth endangering myself, others, or my car, and its possible to have fun even with TC on when on public roads.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
For my typical drive, one click off. Going through the mountains on a spirted drive, all on. At the track, all off.

One click off is still pretty safe. It will let you spin the tires and get a little sideways but still kicks in. On higher speed stuff, it will cut the throttle before the back end can kick out.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I totally understand you guys who want to always leave TC on, I usually have to tell myself to leave it on for the sake of my health and my tire budget.

But if you really don’t feel confident driving the Supra without TC at all, I suggest you spend some time learning to drift in a simulator like Assetto Corsa. Learning how to counter steer, manage throttle, and tire management are all critical skills that anyone driving a Supra should know how to do.

don’t be scared of sliding, but be prepared to save your own ass in case TC doesn’t stop the rear end from coming out, or you make the mistake of understeering into the wall.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I suggest you spend some time learning to drift in a simulator like Assetto Corsa. Learning how to counter steer, manage throttle, and tire management are all critical skills that anyone driving a Supra should know how to do.
This isn't really an effective way tbh. Racing sim setups are somewhat pricey and you don't get any haptic feedback that's involved with drifting unless you have a $20k+ professional setup.

I'd rather recommend checking the event schedules at a local autoX or race track; some will have skid pads or other setups to learn in a car.
Sponsored