**UPDATED** My BM3 Stage 2 Flex Tune Dyno Results

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
I was hoping to see 500whp .. just because that would sound cooler 😎 but maybe if I got my blend up to E50 from E47 and the weather was down in the 70s without humidity 🤷 .. any who.. it's still a nice jump from my baseline 372.. I can tell you already though.. this.... Will not be enough haha.. I think I'll end up wanting enough to make me go upgraded turbo, trans and fuel system.. I want to be slammed back in my seat and held there haha
I'm in a similar position and starting my build next week. You'll find that to go from bolt-ons, femto unlock, aftermarket turbo, on stock fueling is a big investment (it's relative for everyone but IMO, that's a pretty big step to get into 500-600whp range. Past that, you're looking at another significant cost/investment as you'll need to get into a built trans, PI, reflex (if you want true DME controlled e-flex), colder plugs, an upgraded LPFP or HPFP, additional radiators and cooling, axles if you plan to launch, and likely an intake manifold, especially if you're in a hotter part of the country (assuming your are in FL). Once i priced out the full bananas build, i stepped down a bit. At the 600+ HP range, you're looking at an entry fee of about another $20k, at least. That's been my experience at least in putting together different build options. Higher you go, the deeper pockets you need and at some point, unless you keep the car for a long time, you get diminishing returns....that's of course just my POV. I want to retire some day, so blowing a pile of cash on a newer car to sell at some point down the line doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I'd say what the car laid down on the stock turbo was pretty solid.
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
^ This is a good analysis.

The jump from stock to ~500WHP is pretty "affordable" as far as car modding goes. And the Supra is pretty light, so it's not going to encounter much on the street that can't be killed.

~500WHP Costs
Under $6K for unlock, tune, downpipe, CAN ethanol kit for MY21+
Under $3K for same on MY20

~550WHP Costs
New turbo ($3K+)
Port injection ($1K+)
Exhaust ($2K+)
+retune

600-900WHP Costs
Built trans ($6K+)
LPFP ($1K+)
Motiv and wiring (~$1.5K)
(Arguably) Manifold ($3K+)
+retune

900+ WHP Costs
Engine build ($10K-$15K)
Axles ($2K+)
Drive shaft ($2K+)
+retune
+disaster fee

So $3K-$6K to get the first +200WHP, $8K to unlock the next +400WHP tier, and like 20K to unlock the next +400 tier.

Yeah, it basically doubles with each step. At some point you have to ask yourself how deep you really want to go. I'm in deep already because I'm stupid. But landing 500 WHP on a ~3300lbs car without dumping the turbo is extraordinarily good and inexpensive in car mod terms.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

The jump from stock to ~500WHP is pretty "affordable" as far as car modding goes. And the Supra is pretty light, so it's not going to encounter much on the street that can't be killed.

~500WHP Costs

~550WHP Costs
New turbo ($3K+)
Port injection ($1K+)
Exhaust ($2K+)
+retune

600-900WHP Costs
Built trans ($6K+)
LPFP ($1K+)
+retune

900+ WHP Costs
Engine build ($10K-$15K)
Axles ($2K+)
Drive shaft ($2K+)
+retune
+disaster fee

So $3K-$6K to get the first +200WHP, $8K to unlock the next +400WHP tier, and like 20K to unlock the next +400 tier.

Yeah, it basically doubles with each step. At some point you have to ask yourself how deep you really want to go. I'm in deep already because I'm stupid. But landing 500 WHP on a ~3300lbs car without dumping the turbo is extraordinarily good and inexpensive in car mod terms.
Robert has it nailed, much more finely than I. Agree, for me i was comfortable around the $15k mark to creep close to 600/600. Anything more than that on the street is likely to kill me, the car, or both. 🙃

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra

~500WHP Costs

~550WHP Costs
New turbo ($3K+)
Port injection ($1K+)
Exhaust ($2K+)
+retune

600-900WHP Costs
Built trans ($6K+)
LPFP ($1K+)
+retune

900+ WHP Costs
Engine build ($10K-$15K)
Axles ($2K+)
Drive shaft ($2K+)
+retune
+disaster fee

For your 550whp category, why is PI required? I was thinking it should be part of the 600+

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't take my numbers as an exact science. I ballparked it off the top of my head. But the HPFP starts getting dicey in the 550-600 range, whereas the OE LPFP can flow ~600, so it would make sense to add PI sooner rather than later to avoid fuel trim issues when you're so marginal on the HPFP's capabilities.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
900+ WHP Costs
Engine build ($10K-$15K)
Axles ($2K+)
Drive shaft ($2K+)
+retune
+disaster fee
This is low.

Pulling an engine out and putting it back in, if you do it yourself costs $800, gaskets and one times bolts, and oil.

Then there's a bunch of other shit. But the rest are spot on.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
This is the mother of all posts that covers power tiers and needs for the car. The collective community contributed to this from experience, so i think it's pretty well vetted.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/gr-supra-101-routes-to-big-power.17670/
That post says LPFP is good for 700whp
@Thraxbert says it’s good for 600.

I don’t know who’s right and who’s wrong. But if the thread is correct, an HPFP alone can get you to 650whp.

If the goal is 650 or under, HPFP and PI are roughly the same price.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol LPFP is absolutely not good for 700. It's 600ish, which is similar to most 6cyl in-tank pumps on a GDI setup. Maybe the poster typo'd. HPFP is about 550ish.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Lol LPFP is absolutely not good for 700. It's 600ish, which is similar to most 6cyl in-tank pumps on a GDI setup. Maybe the poster typo'd. HPFP is about 550ish.
The source was twisted tuning. Doesn’t seem like a typo tbh. I guess I’ll just push it and find out lol

IMG_1252.png

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
This is low.

Pulling an engine out and putting it back in, if you do it yourself costs $800, gaskets and one times bolts, and oil.

Then there's a bunch of other shit. But the rest are spot on.
How much would you say you've spent on the "disaster fee"?

Tony11011

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A 90 Supra, SR20 Datsun 1200 Ute
You can see in the log the RPM shoots up. Either tire spin or clutches slipping.
ahhhh I see. Thought it might have to do with boost overshooting.
Thinking about getting a Sameh tune. Just had issues with throttle closures with my previous custom tune.
Sponsored