What Specific Engine Oil Are You Using And Why?

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Didn't have any noticeable oil issues, but I switched to Red Line 5W30 anyway.

Liqui Moly 5w-30 because it has a proven record with turbo engines and works best for my climate.

-RJM
I would have thought you'd go for something like 0W30 given that it can get to freezing temps around Seattle, but it's probably not a big deal.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Didn't have any noticeable oil issues, but I switched to Red Line 5W30 anyway.

I would have thought you'd go for something like 0W30 given that it can get to freezing temps around Seattle, but it's probably not a big deal.
The Supra only hits the streets on nice weather days. The rest of the time its in a climate controlled garage.

If it was my year round daily I would consider a 0w-30 grade for sure.

-RJM

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30.

Because it is the very best oil of 264 oils tested in a controlled torture test for wear protection under extreme conditions. Test includes coverage of high-PSI protection, and resistance to thermal degradation or shearing. His results correspond nicely with HTHS and viscosity ratings for oils, if available, provided in the data sheets for these products.

AFAIK this is the most rigorous and scientific head-to-head test of oil on the internet. As far as I'm concerned, everything else is just one dude's opinion. "it's what i use and it sounds okay" is not rigorous enough.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30.

Because it is the very best oil of 264 oils tested in a controlled torture test for wear protection under extreme conditions. Test includes coverage of high-PSI protection, and resistance to thermal degradation or shearing. His results correspond nicely with HTHS and viscosity ratings for oils, if available, provided in the data sheets for these products.

AFAIK this is the most rigorous and scientific head-to-head test of oil on the internet. As far as I'm concerned, everything else is just one dude's opinion. "it's what i use and it sounds okay" is not rigorous enough.
This stuff?! Walmart Quaker state oil for $17/5qt

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's the stuff. As far as objective and metrics-driven testing is concerned: it's currently the best oil on the planet for wear protection under intense conditions. Acknowledged that the test database doesn't have all the info or options I would like (e.g. Amsoil XLOQT-EA or LiquiMoly), but that feels academic.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
That's the stuff. As far as objective and metrics-driven testing is concerned: it's currently the best oil on the planet for wear protection under intense conditions. Acknowledged that the test database doesn't have all the info or options I would like (e.g. Amsoil XLOQT-EA or LiquiMoly), but that feels academic.
I'm going to stick with Molly, but I think for anyone looking for great oil on a budget or in a pinch, that stuff does seem like a great choice.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm going to stick with Molly, but I think for anyone looking for great oil on a budget or in a pinch, that stuff does seem like a great choice.
Agree with everything you said except for the diminutive "on a budget" or "in a pinch" qualifiers. It's demonstrably incredible oil, it just happens to be inexpensive and widely available. A sadly rare combination.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
The Supra only hits the streets on nice weather days. The rest of the time its in a climate controlled garage.

If it was my year round daily I would consider a 0w-30 grade for sure.

-RJM
I was kind of hoping LiquiMoly made a 0W-30 that was basically same spec and approvals as the 5W-30 you posted above, but doesn't look like it exists. Does anyone have a 0W-30 they recommend? The LiquiMoly 5W-30 is nice because it does have all the right specifications and BMW approvals (Longlife-01).

Maybe Redline 0W-30? https://www.redlineoil.com/0w30-motor-oil

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)