What will the FT-1 be called? Supra trademark revived by Toyota!

Should Toyota used the Supra nameplate in any form?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Maybe, it would depend on other factors

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
It'll be a Supra if it's got the name on it.

The automatic non-turbo MkIVs were still Supras.
I wouldnt mind if Toyota developed the car exclusively like NISSAN did with the GT-R and gave two model options with different powertrains.
But NOT with BMW engines...

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Toyota chief engineer backs Supra return
Supra name now all-but-confirmed for Toyota flagship coupe.

Toyota will soon launch its flagship sports coupe co-developed with BMW, which now has its chief engineer's blessing to revive the Supra nameplate.

Speaking with Drive at the international launch of the facelifted Toyota 86 at Fuji Speedway in Japan, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said that he is pushing hard to tag the future 'upper sport coupe' as 'Supra' but a decision has not yet been finalised.

"Ah, Supra … I love the Supra name and I love Supra," he said, before nodding and confirming that he has asked Toyota management to use the name for the vehicle.

"[But] so many negotiations existing," he added.

The all-but-official Supra is being co-developed with BMW in a collaboration that Tada described as a "good synergy". But he stopped short of confirming further details of the tie-up that will see Toyota produce a medium-sized coupe and BMW a roadster off-shoot tipped to be called Z5.

"It will be near future," Tada said of the timing of the production model. "Prototypes are already completed … I can say fantastic, [it is going] very well."

Tada has confirmed the Supra will aim to address customer criticism of the 86, which was tagged in some quarters as underpowered. He said the Supra will focus on performance to a far greater extent than with its smaller coupe sibling.

It is understood the BMW collaboration will merge Toyota's hybrid technology with the German maker's 'i' electric vehicle expertise and also its turbocharged technology – the latter of which is more recently foreign to the mainstream Japanese maker.

Tada said the Supra is going through "so much testing" at the moment including at Fuji Speedway and the Nurburgring.

"It will be a very exciting car. [It is being tested] not only Fuji, all the world," he added.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/chief-engineer-backs-supra-return-gqkpm3.html

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
It better be called "Supra". Otherwise Admin has to change the name of the forum :p

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I'd be ok with the 'Toyota RZ' and Toyota 'SZ'...

Celica has a long proud history, like the Supra, best leave them both in the past.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I think the Supra nameplate would be a huge selling point.

NYC_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
I agree and I think that is the intention, the Supra is the flagship and a more desirable car. I would like to see another Celica GT4 in the future but not this car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.