Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
2019 Toyota Supra, can it pick up where Toyota left it off?

In 1998 The Toyota Supra became a car of the past. Toyota withdrew from the US market after withdrawing from the Canadian market two years prior and ultimately ending production in japan in 2002. The Supra MKIV left a lasting impression on the automotive work that almost 20 years later still has not gone away. But now, a new dawn is on the horizon.
Toyota began teasing a new Supra before the economic downturn of 2007 with the FT-HS. Then again, after years of radio silence, we see another hint at a rebirth of the supra in 2014 with the FT-1, now however with BMW as a partner your dreams may be coming true.

At this point in late 2017 the new Toyota Supra, MKV, is almost totally confirmed to be happening. The details however are not as clear. We know it will share the same platform as BMW’s new Z5, a Toyota spec J29 chassis, and it’s also believed that BMW is developing the powertrain. This leaves a lot to wonder, Toyota does not currently produce an inline-6 motor, the 2JZ remains iconic for the amount of power and torque it was capable of, but BMW does produce I6 motors and even better turbo I6 motors. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, the reports on actual power output from the upper end models range from 350-500 HP and 300-450 lb-ft. Which begs the question, what will the MKV be competing with?

The competition of Toyota Supra

A good approximation aside from the vehicle layout; front engine, rear wheel drive, two door, four seater, is the price point. However, the price point is still not confirmed, so let’s look at the options. If the base Supra were to come in around the current price of the BMW Z4 at $50K we would be talking competitors like mid to upper range Audi/Merc/BMW’s and some upper end muscle cars like the corvette or top of the line Camaro/Mustang/Challenger’s but leaving some potential import competitors like the Nissan 370Z or Subaru BRZ far behind.

However, if the MKV Supra is to be closer to the $100K base price bracket it will be attempting to bump shoulders with the big boys of import performance like the Nissan GTR or the also newly reintroduced Acura NSX. This is where the supra belongs when you think of the heritage. How would it stack up against these two; the NSX will boast an impressive 573 hp and 476 lb-ft and a 0-60 time of about 3 seconds capping out at 191 MPH, the GTR pumps out 565 hp and 467 lb-ft, a very similar set of numbers. The GTR however doesn’t have the electric motor hybrid drivetrain the NSX does that might also find its way into the new Supra as BMW does already have the technology in their i8.

The verdict

I would love to see the Supra MKV come out swinging and bring the MKIV’s reputation into a technological 2019 masterpiece, but frankly I lack faith in BMW and Toyotas ability to make that happen. Much of the spy shots and videos from track and street testing are underwhelming to say the least and really bring a pain to my heart. As a few automakers have learned recently, it’s very easy to put a serious smudge on a cars reputation by reintroducing something that doesn’t live up to the name. With a vehicle as important as the Supra I really hope Toyota does it right.
https://www.torquenews.com/4141/new-2019-toyota-supra-toyota-picking-where-it-left-off

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I'm getting sick of everyone saying it will be a fail and a flop like the new NSX. Lets address it, to each their own but I think the NSX is fugly. It looks like a R8 with a bird beak on it. Its also priced too high for us mir mortals.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I'm getting sick of everyone saying it will be a fail and a flop like the new NSX. Lets address it, to each their own but I think the NSX is fugly. It looks like a R8 with a bird beak on it. Its also priced too high for us mir mortals.
I think the new NSX is the best looking mid-rear engine sports car for sale right now, with another pro, being the Honda badge.

NYC_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
The new NSX looks better in person because you see how low the roofline is relative to other traffic. That said I don't like the front at all. The real reason I have no interest in it, it's yet another 3800+lb car without a manual. They took what made the original NSX great (light weight, mid engine RWD, manual transmission, Honda reliability, looks great and not like anything else) and changed the formula.

If the baby NSX happens and has the original formula or close to it (probably still have that front end) I will likely want one. Based on everything I know so far about the mkv it is still on the top of the list of cars I am looking into for a future sports car purchase.

Last edited:

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
Just not into more technology. These hybrid sportscars do not make sense. Traction may be impressive, but having to add more horsepower due to added hybrid weight,AWD weight is like chasing your tail. Cars need to go the other direction. Like the 4C. Carbon fiber shells. Small motor. <3000 pounds. Power to weight. That's all you need.

I had an R8 with the V10. Awesome car .... no doubt. I miss it. What I don't miss is the >3800 weight and the AWD. I do miss the manual gated shifter and V10. :).

Corvette has the right formula. Lightweight. Powerful engine. No frills. Low tech. Affordable. Although I cannot stand the plasticky interiors and exterior stuff.

As I've said numerous times: Supra should be an 86 with more factory power in the 50K arena. No frills. No rear seat. No hybrid. Just an awesome chassis with 400 plus hp. Center tack (like the 86) with rev counter and light (so cool), great seats with heavy bolsters and perfect driving position (like the 86), manual would be nice, and low center of gravity. A turbocharged motor would be fine (more power, lighter weight). That's it. Toyota ...... use the K.I.S.S principal. Keep it simple stupid.

Zaki

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zaki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Acura NSX, 2010 Nissan GTR; 2013 Lexus LS FSport; 2017 Prius Prime
It is a shame really.

The Germans know how to keep their fans and customers satisfied with a constant barrage of amazing cars with ever improving performance, looks, handling. Not a week goes by when one does not hear something from someone, be it Porsche, BMW or Mercedez.

The Japanese on the other hand are 99.9% focused on the people hauling, commuters and boring cars and feel very out of place when trying to bring out a lively sports car. They also specialize in killing off any number of great sports cars....they seem to relish it really. Killed off the NSX and then took an eternity to bring it back, in a form that is hardly recognizable as the NSX of old. Killed off the RX7 and have been teasing with bringing it back forever it seems. Killed off the S2000 and teasing with possible replacement, perhaps. Killed off the Toyota MR2 and hinting at a replacement. Killed off the fabulous Supra and now taking a long time to make it good enough to bring it back.

They love to kill off the great cars, while the Europeans continue to improve theirs and it is no wonder the 911 is where it is now, compared to what it was when the original NSX was in production. Imagine what the NSX and the Supra would have been like were they evolving over the years and getting better in every way as has happened with the 911 and the Cayman/Boxster! Instead they had to kill off the Supra and the NSX and then struggle to bring those legends back to market, taking years and spending billions in new R&D to catch up with their rivals.

The Japanese need to learn this simple lesson. Their ability to make reliable, well engineered cars is not enough. They need to continue to produce and incrementally improve upon their products to keep their customers and fans engaged. There are too many viable and very attractive options elsewhere. Most of the NSX owners, have moved on to the European rivals. At least they know the companies stand behind their products and will not dump and run like the Japanese are known and accustomed to doing.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
while I would love to see more performance cars from japan your comparison is off. the japanese brands are economy brands first and foremost, they aren't playing in the same game as porsche, bmw, etc who are expected to provide what you're asking for..

profit rules the world. toyota made more money in 2016 than bmw + porsche + merc combined..

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, Toyota is MASSIVE... multitudes bigger than any other automotive company by far, and that is in large part due to focusing on profits.

Zaki

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zaki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Acura NSX, 2010 Nissan GTR; 2013 Lexus LS FSport; 2017 Prius Prime
I am really not comparing....just lamenting the fact that, as I said, "The Japanese on the other hand are 99.9% focused on the people hauling, commuters and boring cars".

That Toyota is profitable is not in question.
I am just venting about the fact that of their huge budget 99% is for cars that do not cater to enthusiasts. In fact their current boss agrees with this fact and is trying to change it....thankfully.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
for sure, it doesn't neccesarily benefit the enthusiast much unless they decide to dump money into something fun, but ultimately most of the population these days just want a reliable applicance with four wheels lol.

honestly though, even though I like where Akio's head is, from a business perspective sports cars are usually not a great investment; niche market, little return, and usually are only made for marketing and bragging rights.

Reactions: HKz

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
think we should be thankful in many ways.. toyota/honda/nissan/mazda have released many unique & sporty products especially for the us market. think it's the other economy brands from around the world that have lacked memorable cars.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
With Toyota being so big it's even more disappointing. They could easily afford to spend half a billion on a money-loser and just write it up to goodwill, brand enhancement. They did the same thing in F1 so many years ago. They are willing to do it for stuff like the land cruiser which barely moves any inventory, just to maintain their prestige. Why not on a sportscar?

We're not talking about Mazda here that can barely turn a profit. Toyota absolutely has the wherewithal to throw money at a sportscar, even if it's a low-volume break even case. Ford does it, Chevy does it. They are both big economy brands.

At least Honda has finally delivered the civic R and the NSX, though both took far too long.
Sponsored