Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
You think we'll see the roughly 2-3 years time span from concept to production that we saw with FT-86?

That would put it into the early 2016 calendar year...
Sponsored

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
It was definitely closer to 2 years IIRC for the 86 project to the FRS production. There were more than one concept too.. who knows maybe FT1 skips that and gets pushed forward quicker. I would love to see a late 2015 MY but I have my doubts.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
It was definitely closer to 2 years IIRC for the 86 project to the FRS production. There were more than one concept too.. who knows maybe FT1 skips that and gets pushed forward quicker. I would love to see a late 2015 MY but I have my doubts.
10/09 the concept was shown...sales started in 03/12 but they revealed the production car in 11/11 so depends what point of reference your talking. From concept to actual sales yea like 2 1/2 yrs.

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
Toyota has a good track record for not dragging their feet too long after a concept shows.
..Imagine being the guy who wants to see the next NSX and waiting.....and waiting...

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
i didn't really follow the toyota 86 concept....was it pretty close to production spec when they showed it? anyone remember?

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
i didn't really follow the toyota 86 concept....was it pretty close to production spec when they showed it? anyone remember?
Out of the 3 concepts, the second one was the closest and the last one was the best. If they went with the last one design it would be even more successful in sales I'm sure of it

First concept

ms2009_015-620op.jpg

Second

FT-86-II-CONCEPT-1-640x426.jpg

Third

42700107-NYIAS_Scion_FR_S_Concept.jpg

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Do we think that the production car will be revealed next Oct at the next Tokyo show? Cuz if that happens that means we should be seeing more (and new?) concepts at the upcoming shows in the next few months at Geneva, Detroit, and Geneva right.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Do we think that the production car will be revealed next Oct at the next Tokyo show? Cuz if that happens that means we should be seeing more (and new?) concepts at the upcoming shows in the next few months at Geneva, Detroit, and Geneva right.
I think October 2015 is too soon for the production car to get shown. So far all we've seen is a design studio styling concept. Toyota nor BMW has released a concept based on the actual joint platform yet, so we've got a way to go. My guess is that the production car gets revealed in 2016 sometime.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
I think October 2015 is too soon for the production car to get shown. So far all we've seen is a design studio styling concept. Toyota nor BMW has released a concept based on the actual joint platform yet, so we've got a way to go. My guess is that the production car gets revealed in 2016 sometime.
Makes sense but we got a lot of waiting to do still :nono:

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Out of the 3 concepts, the second one was the closest and the last one was the best. If they went with the last one design it would be even more successful in sales I'm sure of it

First concept

ms2009_015-620op.jpg

Second

FT-86-II-CONCEPT-1-640x426.jpg

Third

42700107-NYIAS_Scion_FR_S_Concept.jpg

It's also a more polarizing design. Mass produced cars tend to be made to capture the most sales which means more mainstream. Sad but true. The FT-1 also will see this happen

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
It's interesting that the 86 concepts went from more mild to more extreme. It's usually the other way around as they get less concept-like and more like a production car.
Sorry if this is old news for all you 86 veterans but did all 3 concepts build off of the final platform used for the FR-S?

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Toyota has a good track record for not dragging their feet too long after a concept shows.
..Imagine being the guy who wants to see the next NSX and waiting.....and waiting...
We'll have flying cars by the time the NSX hits the streets :rofl:

Once we see the first mule spy pics it'll probably be 1-2 years at most before the car is introduced. So Toyota and spy photogs: get to work!

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
From all reports it sounds like FT1 is on the fast track to production. I would love to see a car in late 2016 but I'm not keeping hopes too high.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
It's also a more polarizing design. Mass produced cars tend to be made to capture the most sales which means more mainstream. Sad but true. The FT-1 also will see this happen
It'll happen but to a much, much smaller extent.

Toyota 86 was always intended to be a volume seller like any other car on the lot. Also it was co-developed and expected to sell across two (three) brands.

FT1/Supra is not likely intended to be a big money maker and as such won't have to make everyone happy. A-la Dodge Viper, original NSX, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.