Would you buy a used Pure 800?

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I’m considering buying a used Pure 800 and wanted to ask if that’s a good or bad idea. If I can get it for under $1500 and then have Pure rebuild it, then would it be as good as a new one coming from them? It looks like they charge around $500 for a rebuild. Let me know what to look for when considering a used turbo too please.

Thanks!
Sponsored

2021Supra

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2021 Lexus RC300, 2007 Tundra, 1975 Ch
Its hard to say if I would buy a used one. Depends on your budget or if you knew who owned it and how it was ran for the short time on the car. I would just spend the extra money and purchase a new one, if your willing to pay for a rebuild. Only makes sense to me. Piece of mind IMO. Hard for us to make that decision. Yes, I have bought used equipment for my car( Visconti PNP harness for reflex and EOS PI Plate), but I didn't think about buying a used turbo.

This is just my opinion. I would rather have piece of mind than save a few bucks, plus they should warranty it for what six months??? Not sure if they rebuilt for you???

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
I personally wouldn’t. Save a bit more money for the remnant one, as that one is superior to all the stock location turbos.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Its hard to say if I would buy a used one. Depends on your budget or if you knew who owned it and how it was ran for the short time on the car. I would just spend the extra money and purchase a new one, if your willing to pay for a rebuild. Only makes sense to me. Piece of mind IMO. Hard for us to make that decision. Yes, I have bought used equipment for my car( Visconti PNP harness for reflex and EOS PI Plate), but I didn't think about buying a used turbo.

This is just my opinion. I would rather have piece of mind than save a few bucks, plus they should warranty it for what six months??? Not sure if they rebuilt for you???
All good points. I would have no idea how it was used or how hard it was ran or who owned it previously. I agree with you about having the piece of mind of buying a new one, but I was hoping that the rebuild would do that, but I really have no idea what a rebuild actually fixes. I’m hoping somebody here has some insight on that.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Pure700 used and it’s held up to over twenty track days so far. How lucky do you feel?
Friends say I’m pretty lucky but I don’t think I want to test my luck with a pricy turbo lol.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I personally wouldn’t. Save a bit more money for the remnant one, as that one is superior to all the stock location turbos.
I’m definitely considering that turbo as well.

2021Supra

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2021 Lexus RC300, 2007 Tundra, 1975 Ch
I think it boils down to what you want.
Ask yourself this: Peace of mind or save a few bucks. I think that is what it boils down to honestly. We can’t steer you one way or other. End of the day, your choice and car!!
Hopefully someone can you more detailed insight on this decision. Like Brian said he has had his for a while now and beating on it at the track.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I think it boils down to what you want.
Ask yourself this: Peace of mind or save a few bucks. I think that is what it boils down to honestly. We can’t steer you one way or other. End of the day, your choice and car!!
Hopefully someone can you more detailed insight on this decision. Like Brian said he has had his for a while now and beating on it at the track.
What you’re saying is true, and I appreciate the info. And you’re right, ultimately it boils down to money. If it really were only a few bucks then I’d definitely easily choose the new one, but in this case the difference between a new one and a used, rebuilt one could be between $500 to $700, maybe more. Plus I’d get to keep my stock turbo, which could be sold as well, or kept just in case.

But it’s not all about the money as of course I value the fact that new is usually better, has less issues, has a warranty, etc. I think I’ll give Pure a call and try to get a better understanding of the rebuild.

This is from their website. I don’t know much about the makings of turbos but this sounds pretty comprehensive, that’s why I wonder if it’ll be good as new after a rebuild.
IMG_8702.jpeg

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Part of what your risking is the labor. Are you doing the install -- and the possible uninstall/reinstall? If your paying for it or you don't enjoy the effort then that's part of the risk equation. I've read enough stories on this forum of hybrid turbos blowing white smoke it'd make me nervous.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I wouldn't bother with a Pure, but that's just my opinion. Even with the ease of swapping by oneself, I can't see the value in screwing around with it, given their high failure rates. If it were like $250, yeah sure. But for $1,500-2,000, no thanks.
Sponsored