OP

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 1991 Pontiac TransAm
Front bumper - why in the world is there a giant V in the pre-cut piece? You can see it's already getting dirty.

69290768_2368857846687479_2843416363114954752_n.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Note I do need to wash the car as I was caught in a rainstorm and I haven't tried scrubbing that yet, I'm worried what might happen. Want to show the shop first.

OP
OP

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes. Hereā€™s a pic of the gutter cover on my M2 Comp, with no PPF installed. Supra is the same style part.

744EECD8-4D2D-476A-9168-2BE19DB6F205.jpeg
AH! Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. lol

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
AH! Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. lol
hey I updated my previous post with my Supra roof picture. no wrap. just to make you feel even better :)

fyi. Supposedly they advise against pressure washing within 48 hours as it can unwrap the edges. regardless that bumper V looks very interesting.

OP
OP

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The car sat at the dealership for 5 days after the wrap place was done, so I can only assume no one power washed it.

Just to make it clear, they only did part of the job as they had to leave and I wanted to have the car for the weekend once I returned from vacation. The plan was to give it to them after Labor Day to complete the job.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Front bumper - why in the world is there a giant V in the pre-cut piece? You can see it's already getting dirty.

69290768_2368857846687479_2843416363114954752_n.jpg
That may be normal for their kit because it's a major challenge to fit areas like that. Whether or not a custom install would attempt to stretch there I can't say, but it would be a major CHORE. I have fought those before. So that is likely why the template kit has a seam there.

Visible seams and dirt are typical on a light colored car. I minimized PPF on my white M2 Comp because of this.

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on the edge, but from what Xpel told me, there are certain places that they typically wonā€™t cover under their warranty if it gets wrapped (and thus some of their pattern parts come right up to the edge but thereā€™s a slight, almost unnoticeable, gap). This is the Xpel warranty they were referring to, not what happens if an installer does a shoddy job. If the installer does a poor job, then itā€™s really up to them (i.e., the installer and not Xpel) to fix it because itā€™s an issue of how the Xpel was applied and not the PPF itself.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99ā€™ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
My mirror, line is pretty difficult to photograph...

B1A91EE8-6E83-4BDA-8505-DE5582680493.jpeg

My hood is wrapped, but that thing on the left isnā€™t, I donā€™t believe anyway, I think that is from the factory.
0123CA35-2482-4B37-B684-005CD02C6C46.jpeg

Here is the front of my hood to the bumper:
38687CB8-1911-41A0-B3D2-97FF0AF1E5E9.jpeg

Hard to see, but this is at the top of my hood, they said the sheet wasnā€™t long enough but they were able to stretch it and align it with the crease. Unless you are looking for it, it is hard to see.
EDC3EF6D-A7D2-474B-9978-D97AE39C3F3A.jpeg

Template was not used for any of mine.

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
I believe my installer can do better. He custom cuts the pieces on the car and he wraps the edges where he can get access. The small-angle corners are very difficult to cover, but uncovered edges in the photos can be significantly reduced. The seam on the mirror cap lifted, it was probably improperly sealed.

A90 Zero

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 BRZ, 2020 Supra
I am still waiting for delivery of my white LE.
I was planning to get the PPF track pack wrap (bumper, hood, fender, mirrors and rocker panels).
But I am starting to have second thoughts about PPF on a white car. It clearly would provide protection from rock chips and flying debris, but if you are extremely particular about cleaning your car, it might be more painful to see the seams and dirt collecting along the seams than seeing a few minor rock chips. And if you avoid trucks and don't follow too closely to another vehicle at high speed, you should be able to minimize rock chips.
PPF seems to be a better choice for a black car than a white car.
Do you agree?

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
If you can avoid (or minimize beyond concern) visible edges and seams on a white car it will be fine, although you'll notice any yellowing sooner, which is another topic -- check the warranty of the film against yellowing/discoloration (they have all made improvements in recent years).

Two previous BMWs I owned had no PPF. Both were driven about 6000-8000 miles a year, and I was careful about where I drove, getting behind trucks, etc. No significant paint chip damage on either. Windshield chips were a bigger problem for me.

BigRuski

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mercedes GLA 250 (Incoming 2018 AMG GTS)
Ok,

Mirrors have a limitation at how far a film can wrap over the inside bend. The bottom and even some cars mirrors top. Film is slightly stretched over and if done custom put on further then precut. Because people always ask can you go as far as you can. Generally you go to its limit but sometimes a bit more. That mirror is fine, they just have to trim the lifting part off and heat it.

Warranty - is not void from XPEL or anyone else if the edges are wrapped. The software gives you an option to wrap the edge but you get a V shaped corner like you have. That is because it is a precut piece. To do it without the V edges it's a custom by hand install where most shops won't because they have to know how to use a blade.

Bumper precut from seeing the kit is 11 pieces total. Film has limitations on going over bends and curves like the Supras. You aren't the only one with those seams believe me, there are plenty others and many more will be.

Only a Custom by hand install if they offer it can move those seams into more hidden spots (it goes up to almost $8000) considering on installer. Every new install shop is going to cry, start declining or increase price considerably on Supras because of difficulty of hood and bumper. Full front end prices will only go up once people get a hand on their first

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
I am still waiting for delivery of my white LE.
I was planning to get the PPF track pack wrap (bumper, hood, fender, mirrors and rocker panels).
But I am starting to have second thoughts about PPF on a white car. It clearly would provide protection from rock chips and flying debris, but if you are extremely particular about cleaning your car, it might be more painful to see the seams and dirt collecting along the seams than seeing a few minor rock chips. And if you avoid trucks and don't follow too closely to another vehicle at high speed, you should be able to minimize rock chips.
PPF seems to be a better choice for a black car than a white car.
Do you agree?
I would have to disagree. Flying debris is often unavoidable and, to me, I would prefer having seams than stone chips. Dirt collection along a seam is caused by incomplete sealing; this is an issue caused by the installer craftmanship and dirt accumulation can be alleviated with proper sealing.

The coverage on the track package seems incomplete. I think the areas in front of the quarter panels and the vent-bulge on the doors need to be covered as those will be blasted by flying rocks kicked up by front tires. To be complete, the package should include the headlights, leading area of the roof (about a foot long is plenty), A-pillars, and the quarter panel areas behind the rear tires.

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My mirror, line is pretty difficult to photograph...

B1A91EE8-6E83-4BDA-8505-DE5582680493.jpeg

My hood is wrapped, but that thing on the left isnā€™t, I donā€™t believe anyway, I think that is from the factory.
0123CA35-2482-4B37-B684-005CD02C6C46.jpeg

Here is the front of my hood to the bumper:
38687CB8-1911-41A0-B3D2-97FF0AF1E5E9.jpeg

Hard to see, but this is at the top of my hood, they said the sheet wasnā€™t long enough but they were able to stretch it and align it with the crease. Unless you are looking for it, it is hard to see.
EDC3EF6D-A7D2-474B-9978-D97AE39C3F3A.jpeg

Template was not used for any of mine.
I'm sorry to say, but that's not a top-notch installation. The areas with a high probability of chipping are left uncovered; hood edges and accessible bumper edges should be folded.
Sponsored