Featured 2020 Supra (A90) Reviews Compilation!

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by JT, May 12, 2019.

1. F1 Silver Arrows

F1 Silver Arrows Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
    Liked:
    I don't have an issue with the premise of his original comments. But he is allowing that to cloud his judgement of the car and actually review the fucking thing. He's not reviewing the car, just bitching that it has shared DNA with a BMW. And we all know that.

By the way with your last paragraph, at least when it comes to me it is completely untrue. I have favourites and dislikes, but I am always unbiased and call out people's bs comments.

RyanGT3RS likes this.
  2. Matador

Matador Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
    Liked:
    It's funny that there are some Mk4 owners that think they are the only ones who've been waiting for this car and that it must conform to their vision of what a MkV should be.....

For the route Toyota has taken, we really couldn't have hoped for a better result. It almost seems as if it was set up to be a no win situation. Build based an LC/RC... "OMFG, No I6/3JZ, why is it so heavy, wtf, No manual, this is trash" ... full 9 yards with bespoke platform and engine "OMFG, who asked for a Toyota branded LFA, why is this so expensive, why the f'k is it taking so long, wtf!!?!?" ...based of an 86 "Who wants a $50k 86, wtf, Toyota is lazy, this is trash, nobody asked for this.." and so on and so forth.

Everyone of course is entitled to heir own opinion, but this constant whinging.... It's tiring. Really. It would have been nice to have a car that is uniquely Japanese (never mind the same ppl who have complained for decades that Japanese cars have no "soul" and euro cars are where it's at), but get used to the fact that the Supra in this form really is no longer destined to be Toyota's ultimate halo car. An accessible halo car maybe... certainly not competing in the market segment (competitive set wise) that the mk4 was when it debuted.

There are things I would have preferred. Things I miss. Things I opine that they could have executed better. For the so far glowing reviews of the driving dynamic, and the performance/price ratio, the only thing this car needs to cement its future status as legend is to be reliable, tuneable and durable doing so. Only time can tell that, but first, it needs to have a chance to do so. I much rather a world with a MkV than one without. Will reevaluate in 3-5 years.

Oxytal, A70TTR, dgh and 18 others like this.
  3. Guff

Guff Moderator

Car(s):
    FR-S, BRZ, Supra, Mini Cooper
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    AmusedMasculineFlamingo-size_restricted.gif

Oxytal, A70TTR, orvillesd and 9 others like this.
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
  5. elpadrino

elpadrino Well-Known Member

First Name:
    eL
    Car(s):
    Lexus RC350F, bmw E92, ducati monster
    Liked:
    That 4.4 was on a really dirty parking lot. I would completely disregard that. All in all. A fair review. I think if Toyota had called this anything besides Supra, no one would complain.

Jabba likes this.
  6. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
  7. Captain_Kirk

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
  8. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
  9. mas921

mas921 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BK38!! Z33 and a CZ4A
    Liked:
    Programmer
    went through a lot of the videos and the reviews, I find it alarming that nobody mentioned why Toyota is blocking off the "fake vents". I mean they are car reviewers, they should know a thing or two about aero....right?

They are not fake.
    They are functional....even if blocked!

The location of the vents determined by CFD and multi-million $ wind tunnels; is at least 70% of the "functionality" because these are locations with the most -in layman terms- air pressure build-ups (or air pressure relieve in the case of bonnet and tail lights vents). the bonnet one is particularly awesome, go watch the Unlimited Time Attack racer builds and notice their fenders....

They are "blocked" in the streetcar because anything, any tiny hole, would disrupt the airflow, which would increase aerodynamic drag and render worse fuel consumption (more than you would think). hence why vents must be blocked for daily driving! unless there is a functional need for it.

So, I find it awesome that Toyota did most the aerodynamics engineering for us. Aside from a handful of aerodynamics aftermarket brands, most of the "aero" accessories are junk that has not seen any proper CFD or wind tunnel analysis. Proper aero parts are $$$....Varis or Voltex anyone? or even AMB Aero ..xD

I actually wish they had a hood "fake vent" too, something like the EVO X's, Obviously, that would've been too ugly LOL! but from a functional perspective, a properly placed hood vent renders serious results in cooling and front-lift reduction (feel free to go through Verus Engineering CFD docs for examples).

Fake.They.Are.NOT!

hanswurst24, Webweasel and BRX like this.
  10. Nurburgring

Nurburgring Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
    Liked:
    You´re underestimating the internet collective complaining capacity by several orders of magnitude.

11. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Uhhhhm.... so theres this concept car called the FT1 see, and the designers of said concept, which was not based on any existing platform, blatantly admitted that they did not wind tunnel test the damn thing at all, it was purely stylistic design. Then people loved that thing so much they were told to make a real car from it. So every scoop and placement of said fake vent is where it is because of that concept car. Nice theory though. Also note how the mk5 is loosing speed on the high end acceleration figures vs other cars its trumping on the lower end. Hard to say if it's from getting out of its prime torque powerband or its from aero, but with 8 damn gears you think it could keep revs in its sweet spot.

12. Matador

Matador Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
    Liked:
    IKR? :rofl:

13. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    the force from aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared.

There's a good heuristic that demonstrates it with the veyron. It takes something like 400kW to get to 300km/h, and the other 350kW to get from 300-400km/h.

A70TTR likes this.
  14. Captain_Kirk

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
  15. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu