2020 Supra (A90) Reviews Compilation!

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Yeah, I don't plan on watching any more of his vids. I don't watch Kilmer, and I really only watched demuros vid to see what, if anything, he said different.

Edit: with all the people driving on VA roafs, did amyone get pulled over?

And how high is the side sill compared to the 86? Like, the bottom of the door.

Last edited:

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
It was the worse Supra review I've watched. I'm okay journalist hating on the car (this time is Supra), but put the legit reasons why. Why didn't they put the front tower braces? Tada-san said for aftermarket? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? WEREN'T YOU LISTENING TO TADA-SAN'S PRESENTATION?!?!?!?

"Toyota said these automatic transmission is almost good as DCT... well why didn't they?" Tada-san already answered that question already AND at the Supra event. At the event, I was with Tada-san most of the time asking tons of questions and DEF I didn't see him asking Tada-san questions... or maybe he did, when I was tracking the crap out of the Supra.
So, for the people who were not at the event, what did Tada-san say about the fake vents, aftermarket parts and DCT vs Auto?

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
So, for the people who were not at the event, what did Tada-san say about the fake vents, aftermarket parts and DCT vs Auto?
iirc someone already posted part of Tada-sanā€™s presentation.

In short, most of vents are close because itā€™s not necessary for stock. But for motorsports if you need vents for brake, engine or anything, can take those fake vents to make it functional vents (with custom work). Itā€™s harder to add vents in some race, due to regulation. Even closed vents, theyā€™re used as a canard (ex front fake vents) & it have been tested to make both real & fake vents functionality.

As for AT vs DCT, cost & weight.

Edit: I get that those vents arenā€™t pretty. Iā€™ll agree with you or anyone who thinks ugly & visually not looking good. But he have prove his statement even in 86. I think, I stated this. 86/BRZ front fender fake vents are actually functional, if you cut em out and make custom vents out of em. It have reduce engine bay temperature. Does it need in stock car? Sometimes I feel like that, but reality is, no. For owner who have modded their car, they def need them to reduce to heat under the hood.

Last edited:

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Doug was one of the very few people whom wasn't paid to perform a presentation on the new MKV - some of his comments were cringey but I wouldn't discard a lot of what his said (eg. no manual, low power, entire car being assembled at BMW, BMW interior etc).

One other thing that really struck a cord was when Tada was being interviews he emphasizes that the "hood has two release points... they kept this design as per the original MKIV design" - he went on talking about that for quite a while. I mean seriously what the actual f***? I don't think a single person in this world cares about the hood release points being 1, 2, 5 or 20... I think more people would have wanted a manual then two hood release points. If a hood release is all you've gathered from the previous generation Supra then there's something definitely wrong.

The interior is down right shit, I am referencing the door cards, boot, rear speakers, tweeters. It almost looks like everything that isn't part of 'BMW' has been rushed to finish this car in time for a specific date.

In saying that I am not even disappointed with the new MKV because I knew from the get-go that this car was not going to be what enthusiasts wanted & that the focus has been shifted to a new market with good reason. This car is not a Supra and should have never been named that from the get-go - it's a shame it's been labelled that and I don't think that this will be a very similar 'success' story to the Toyota 86 - plenty of hype in the short term, it wont go down as a legend in the long term.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
It was the worse Supra review I've watched. I'm okay journalist hating on the car (this time is Supra), but put the legit reasons why. Why didn't they put the front tower braces? Tada-san said for aftermarket? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? WEREN'T YOU LISTENING TO TADA-SAN'S PRESENTATION?!?!?!?

"Toyota said these automatic transmission is almost good as DCT... well why didn't they?" Tada-san already answered that question already AND at the Supra event. At the event, I was with Tada-san most of the time asking tons of questions and DEF I didn't see him asking Tada-san questions... or maybe he did, when I was tracking the crap out of the Supra.

Seriously, I was at the event SAME TIME AS HE WAS. Yes Doug, I saw you at the corner hogging that Launch Edition Supra WHOLE TIME! (if you're reading this)

I was okay watching him once a while... til I saw him in person and now uploading false info. Now, I'm def not watching it anymore.

Guff owns both 86 AND Supra (A80), so he'll be good one to watch his review. I'll be doing mine... but work and life is getting to me, so my review will have to wait.

Sorry, I do not. I was told by Tada-san after US, he'll be flying out to Europe for their Supra event... along with Master Driver Herwig flew out there too.
lol. Immediately he said they made a mistake with the interior of the door panel I could tell he was not paying attention at the event. because that was a piece of information everyone knew from Detroit auto show.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Doug was one of the very few people whom wasn't paid to perform a presentation on the new MKV - some of his comments were cringey but I wouldn't discard a lot of what his said (eg. no manual, low power, entire car being assembled at BMW, BMW interior etc).

One other thing that really struck a cord was when Tada was being interviews he emphasizes that the "hood has two release points... they kept this design as per the original MKIV design" - he went on talking about that for quite a while. I mean seriously what the actual f***? I don't think a single person in this world cares about the hood release points being 1, 2, 5 or 20... I think more people would have wanted a manual then two hood release points. If a hood release is all you've gathered from the previous generation Supra then there's something definitely wrong.

The interior is down right shit, I am referencing the door cards, boot, rear speakers, tweeters. It almost looks like everything that isn't part of 'BMW' has been rushed to finish this car in time for a specific date.

In saying that I am not even disappointed with the new MKV because I knew from the get-go that this car was not going to be what enthusiasts wanted & that the focus has been shifted to a new market with good reason. This car is not a Supra and should have never been named that from the get-go - it's a shame it's been labelled that and I don't think that this will be a very similar 'success' story to the Toyota 86 - plenty of hype in the short term, it wont go down as a legend in the long term.
Except it might. considering the route all automakers are going. Also you know the same way everyone talks about what year mkiv to get, vvti and all that, the legendary mkv might not be the 2020 MY it could show up during the mid-cycle refresh. there a lot that could change in the refresh version, (different head, turbo set up, maybe the b58 might be the first BMW engine to incorporate the D4-S system,) so this car right now that we are all judging (like you said, some things makes it feel rushed) is just the first step.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah that's 100% BS. Doug was invited and flown out like EVERY SINGLE PERSON THERE. Nobody was "paid". This is how these manufacturer events work, and how they've always worked, for every manufacturer.

Doug's review showed that he clearly wasn't paying attention and clearly didn't give enough of a shit to ask any real questions. Tada San answered every single thing I asked him, including all the most technical stuff, exactly what they thought the Supra legacy was, specifics about the partnership, etc. Doug focused on hood latches and strut braces for some reason.

Doug's review is honestly one of the worst ones imo, and I hate to say that, but he seriously seems like he's being obtuse just to satisfy a negative outlook. Usually I don't mind his videos, but this was lazy at best, malicious at worst.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's 100% BS. Doug was invited and flown out like EVERY SINGLE PERSON THERE. Nobody was "paid". This is how these manufacturer events work, and how they've always worked, for every manufacturer.

Doug's review showed that he clearly wasn't paying attention and clearly didn't give enough of a shit to ask any real questions. Tada San answered every single thing I asked him, including all the most technical stuff, exactly what they thought the Supra legacy was, specifics about the partnership, etc. Doug focused on hood latches and strut braces for some reason.

Doug's review is honestly one of the worst ones imo, and I hate to say that, but he seriously seems like he's being obtuse just to satisfy a negative outlook. Usually I don't mind his videos, but this was lazy at best, malicious at worst.
I think heā€™s okay most of the time, I feel he usually delivers a fairly mature video in the sense he is mostly objective. As of this video, however, it sees he wants to ride the wave of negativity that has come with the car.

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R

So much hate! Stay cool and always keep the good vibes. The Supra is just coming out and donā€™t say itā€™s already a failure. Drive one first

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R

Some points on Dougā€™s review. I agree that he wasnā€™t listening. He doesnā€™t even know that there were slight changes in the Supraā€™s old and new font. He never mentioned about reasons why Toyota made this (8speed vs DCT, leaving intentional places for aftermarket tuners) was to keep the COST DOWN. A Porsche Cayman fighter (at par or better) with almost 20 grand difference is a no brainer (stock). The A80 Supraā€™s legend was not cemented due to its stock form BUT when aftermarket and tuners started to tinker with it. Letā€™s give the A90 more time and iā€™m sure we will all be surprised (positively) like almost ALL vlog and editorial reviews SO FAR.

SilverMk2

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
85 Supra 2JZ VVTI
Edit: I get that those vents arenā€™t pretty. Iā€™ll agree with you or anyone who thinks ugly & visually not looking good. But he have prove his statement even in 86. I think, I stated this. 86/BRZ front fender fake vents are actually functional, if you cut em out and make custom vents out of em. It have reduce engine bay temperature. Does it need in stock car? Sometimes I feel like that, but reality is, no. For owner who have modded their car, they def need them to reduce to heat under the hood.
And for all that marketing talk on the 86 they could have punched the cutout in the fender for free. They already knocked out 6 holes in fender for the garnish clips it would have cost them nothing to punch out an extra hole behind the vent. I'm guessing this car is exactly the same.

Personally I like Doug's reviews. Every other reviewer they gush over every car like its the second coming of Jesus or the I buy a new exotic car every week videos. Maybe its the engineer in me, but I like seeing all the warts and oddities in cars vs the polished please don't stop buying advertising from us R&Ts and C&Ds of the world
Sponsored