Featured 2020 Supra (A90) Reviews Compilation!

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by JT, May 12, 2019.

1. airjonny

airjonny Member

Car(s):
    2018 Ecoboost Mustang
    Liked:
    Knew the opinions would change once people got rid of the 2JZ nostalgia. Toyota knocked this one out of the park.

2. Zeracho

Zeracho New Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Car(s):
    2008 BMW 135i 6MT
    Liked:
    Oh I wish the wait was over, but at least the next wait should be the last. Things are sounding good! The more I see of the red the more I like it, thought I was set on yellow.

3. jayee

jayee New Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
    Liked:
    IT
    Looking good, all those fake vents are real a shame though.... why not just make them functional. Also I've seen a few reviewers reference the fact that Toyota is "listening to the public" in regards to the possibility of making a manual.

KahnBB6 likes this.
  4. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    I wouldn't call them fake. More like place holders and the aftermarket will definitely take advantage of that. DIY threads and videos of how to make them functional will be everywhere same time next year.

5. Therealist

Therealist Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1996 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    Sorry but we’ve reached peak delusion. The vents don’t physically go anywhere. You would have to do heavy modification to make them functional which differs from any other car, how?

After driving this im firmly in the disappointed camp. The car is a reshell of BMWs platform. Minus body roll it’s a M240i/Z4 etc etc. The huge lack of unique parts says it all.

The engine issue becomes even more apparent when you realise Mazda are releasing their own straight 6. Where’s the excuses now?

Seeing as you can pickup an M240i for sub 40k i can’t recommend this car. You’re paying a large amount extra for a new body. People will call me a hater but I’m just a realist

6. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    #21 May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    So here is the thing, not everything needs to be functional. Surprising I know. The car was driven for hours and no one complained about it overheating. Not the coolant, oil, ATF, brakes, nothing. If you saw the video posted by TFL, Tada even says they blocked the lower half of the grill because it was overcooling, and it has additional capacity for more power.

They even left a path over the air filter box and inner fenders under the hood to add more strut bars. Which by the way made the car too stiff.

If you're gonna race the car, those fake vents can be usefull without ruining the body lines of the car. And as you just said, every car has fake vents, why make it such a big deal on the Supra?!

You drove this? Were you at the event? How many others there shared your same opinion?

A70TTR, Vaevictum, Oxytal and 3 others like this.
  7. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:
    #22 May 13, 2019

You being from the U.K., you driven the production car? Or just spewing shit while others have actual seat time.

A70TTR, JustaCarguy. and vb22 like this.
  8. bogglo

bogglo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus GS
    Liked:
    Did you say you have driven the car? if your answer is no then you are anything but a realist. calling yourself one wont make you one either.

9. scoates

scoates Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2015 GT86, Supra A90 Edition on order!
    Liked:
    The official UK customer production drives are at the end of June, so either they work for Toyota, a media company that's already had a drive, a tuning company with access or they're speaking shite.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt though. What exactly about the drive was so disappointing? Pretty much all of the official reviews are extremely positive.

10. Guff

Guff Moderator

Car(s):
    FR-S, BRZ, Supra, Mini Cooper
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Lol if you've actually driven it, then I don't think we drove the same car. This thing far outclasses an M240i. The chassis' aren't even comparable. Also this thing has a totally different unibody to the Z4, and is an order of magnitude more rigid. The side sills are almost twice the thickness. Quite literally as different as a shared platform could be.

And everyone keeps talking about this Mazda inline six as if it exists yet lmao. It doesn't. Let's see what l it actually becomes in the 5+ years it will take to maybe become a reality. Not to say Mazda doesn't build great engines, but I'll believe it when I see it. That's called realism btw lmao.

Also fyi, the front and rear vents pretty much just need to be popped off. The hood vent is the same as the 86's, not a tough mod. The side vent though? Yeah, nobody is making that functional, I'll agree with you there.

11. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    Just one flaw.....no make that two flaws, screw it three flaws
    1) the vents can be functional by cutting the sheetmetal
    2) new platform actually means new platform
    3) now the biggest flaw...Toyota picked the B58 more than five years ago!

12. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2011 gti
    Liked:
    #27 May 13, 2019
    Looks like UK guys may have got to drive it too.

Bruins71 and XtremeMaC like this.
  13. 86Driver

86Driver Active Member

First Name:
    DB
    Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    TH
    Thanks for this :)

Bruins71 likes this.
  14. ichitaka05

ichitaka05 Moderator

Car(s):
    BRZ
    Liked:
    Correct. They should be doing the Media Press this week in Europe.

MLG Tofu Shop, XtremeMaC and Guff like this.
  15. elpadrino

elpadrino Well-Known Member

First Name:
    eL
    Car(s):
    Lexus RC350F, bmw E92, ducati monster
    Liked:
    You drove the car and still couldn't get BMW out of your mind?

Mazda is releasing their own straight 6 because they have to develop a 6cylinder engine anyway since they don't have one. They chose a straight 6 instead of a V. Toyota does and it made no sense to develop a separate engine just for this.