2020 Supra vs 2021 Supra Dyno Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marin@MarinTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
A higher compression engine is typically more efficent with how much power it makes per ml of fuel. Howeer the combustion pressures are higher which makes it more prone to knock. On premium grade fuels (race fuels, ethanol, etc) when the knock threshold is much higher than the higher compression engine will make more power for the same given air / fuel flow. This is why some of us favor the 2020 engine as it is 11:1 CR vs the 2021 at 10.2 CR.

The 10.2CR will help with low grade fuels such as ACN91 octane fuel, and possibly a slight bit on 93 octane.

Frosty

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2016 Ford F150, 1993 Ford Mustang GT
A higher compression engine is typically more efficent with how much power it makes per ml of fuel. Howeer the combustion pressures are higher which makes it more prone to knock. On premium grade fuels (race fuels, ethanol, etc) when the knock threshold is much higher than the higher compression engine will make more power for the same given air / fuel flow. This is why some of us favor the 2020 engine as it is 11:1 CR vs the 2021 at 10.2 CR.

The 10.2CR will help with low grade fuels such as ACN91 octane fuel, and possibly a slight bit on 93 octane.
Me personally I like higher compression engines with less boost or better power/efficiency across prior to adding the forced induction.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA

Many thanks for the detailed reply.
So using a higher octane fuel on the my20 supra should give you a slight performance increase compared to my21?

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
So using a higher octane fuel on the my20 supra should give you a slight performance increase compared to my21?
IMO not on a stock tune.

Marin@MarinTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
With a calibration to match yes. With the stock calibratoin 65sohc is correct, the 2021 will perform better. I am sure ill it wont be long before I get a 2021 on the dyno with ethanol to see what both models top out at. It probably wont be a huge difference but i wouldnt be surprised to see 5-10HP more on the 2020, and a slightly faster spool.

OP
OP
OpenFlash Performance

OpenFlash Performance

First Name
Shiv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, 458, FF, GT3, CX9
Another quick update:

Just finished mapping our 2021 Supra. Now with 700 miles on the odometer. Took time to find all the various torque limits in the ECU code. But it was worth it! No mods other than an ECU remap. Stock vs Tuned below. 93oct. 91oct made just 7hp less since it runs 1 deg less ignition advance at max load above 5500rpm.
Picked up 65whp at 6400rpm which really makes it pull to red line nicely vs the stock tune which flattens out above 5900rpm. For reference, the stock 2020 Supra makes around 330whp with even more top end roll off.
Got partial throttle boost targets and load settings to the point where power is pretty linear which makes the car pretty easy to drive hard. Most tunes for these cars turn in the throttle into an on/off switch. Making them pretty leery to actually drive in anything other than a straight line. This one is a driver, that's for sure.

4Eo43l.png

OXdM32.jpg

E6sS6n.jpg

cntrvslbrs

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vangloriousmusic.com
Car(s)
21' Supra 3.0, 23' Z Perf, 14' Toyota 86
I'm getting excited for this! Waiting to see the first tune release! Will it be on the Open flash tablet or a new module?

OP
OP
OpenFlash Performance

OpenFlash Performance

First Name
Shiv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, 458, FF, GT3, CX9
I'm getting excited for this! Waiting to see the first tune release! Will it be on the Open flash tablet or a new module?
Yes
How's that for ambiguity? I should be able to spill the beans next week once I sort something out :)

OP
OP
OpenFlash Performance

OpenFlash Performance

First Name
Shiv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, 458, FF, GT3, CX9
Are you planning on releasing for both 2020 and 2021 ?
Yes absolutely. Will be releasing tuning support for the 2021 first however since we got a jump start on that by buying the first one available in the SF Bay Area :)

2020 support will come a few weeks after we go live with the 2021 support. Pretty excited about this myself :)

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Yes absolutely. Will be releasing tuning support for the 2021 first however since we got a jump start on that by buying the first one available in the SF Bay Area :)

2020 support will come a few weeks after we go live with the 2021 support. Pretty excited about this myself :)
That's good to hear!

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
Can’t wait to see this for the 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.