satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Likely yes.
Build Date 12/20
5200+ miles

Note: oil level was 100% (Max) from purchase until roughly 4100 miles. Exactly one month, and 1100ish miles later, the level has dropped to 25% (just above Min). Considering the car carries 6.9 qts of oil that is a considerable drop. No warnings yet, but I have been keeping notes and pictures of each level check along with the odometer. No indication of burning or leaking. Exhaust tips not overly dirty either. Case opened with Toyota and have an upcoming appointment with a Supra-trained tech at the dealer. Iā€™m hoping for the best.
Sponsored

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Also likely yes
Build date 4/21
2600 miles

No consumption until I hit 2200 miles. Changed break in oil at 750 miles. Continued to run OEM spec 0w-20. Hit 2200 miles and it goes from MAX to halfway. Hit 2400 miles and it goes to 1/4 above MIN. Then did another oil change since I did drive it on the track and generally drive it hard but not crazy.

@satx_phantom please keep us updated. Would love to hear what they say or do about it. Iā€™m waiting to see if I have an actual issue before I go to them.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Likely yes.
Build Date 12/20
5200+ miles

Note: oil level was 100% (Max) from purchase until roughly 4100 miles. Exactly one month, and 1100ish miles later, the level has dropped to 25% (just above Min). Considering the car carries 6.9 qts of oil that is a considerable drop. No warnings yet, but I have been keeping notes and pictures of each level check along with the odometer. No indication of burning or leaking. Exhaust tips not overly dirty either. Case opened with Toyota and have an upcoming appointment with a Supra-trained tech at the dealer. Iā€™m hoping for the best.
Update: So the appointment was too late in the day to engage Toyota corporate. Tech told the service advisor that the oil level was high compared to other cars theyā€™d seen (Just 25% above min, guess others are waiting until they get a warning). Asked if I had added any oilā€¦I hadnā€™t. They are going to add some and document it. Iā€™ll have to bring it back another time when they have a loaner/rental available in order for me to leave the car with them. All in all a waste of my time so far. I even made a fancy chart for them.

p.s. They said they added a quart, but my check when getting home is now at the Max line. Something doesnā€™t add up.

Last edited:

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Update: So the appointment was too late in the day to engage Toyota corporate. Tech told the service advisor that the oil level was high compared to other cars theyā€™d seen (Just 25% above min, guess others are waiting until they get a warning). Asked if I had added any oilā€¦I hadnā€™t. They are going to add some and document it. Iā€™ll have to bring it back another time when they have a loaner/rental available in order for me to leave the car with them. All in all a waste of my time so far. I even made a fancy chart for them.

p.s. They said they added a quart, but my check when getting home is now at the Max line. Something doesnā€™t add up.
Yes...it does add up. Hitting min level is just a quart low. So being 25% above min in theroy is 3/4 quart low. So they added a quart and it's full. Nothing is amiss in that regard.

Hello from CC, Tx.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes...it does add up. Hitting min level is just a quart low. So being 25% above min in theroy is 3/4 quart low. So they added a quart and it's full. Nothing is amiss in that regard.

Hello from CC, Tx.
Hey there. Yep, you're right...since then I've learned more. I know more about airplane engines than I do car engines. LOL. When I went in for my recall I got another service advisor who was a bit more helpful and quizzed the tech. They believe it (between min and max) actually represents a liter, since the GR branded oil comes in 1 and 5 liter containers, which isn't that far off from a quart. But anyway, the 10k oil change cycle BMW/Toyota seem to think this car can muster is really unrealistic. I commute to/from work and don't track the car, so given what I know now (over 7k on the car) I think adding a single liter of the oil documented in the owners manual at around 5k is probably reasonable.

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
I learned something important concerning checking engine oil level. The measuring process seems to read greatly differentiating results depending on drive time. 30 min, 1 hour, 3 hoursā€¦ Also, even if the car is ā€œlevelā€ even small incremental changes in how level the car is sitting has GREATLY affected my results. I have also run back to back tests in the exact same position/environment and received different readings.

My most consistent results have been in my culdesac in the same exact spot, after the same amount/time of driving. Even open the hood and use a small pocket level if youā€™re so inclined.

I know this may sound stupid, but give it a try. Test the oil under different conditions.

OP
OP
Sigg

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I learned something important concerning checking engine oil level. The measuring process seems to read greatly differentiating results depending on drive time. 30 min, 1 hour, 3 hoursā€¦ Also, even if the car is ā€œlevelā€ even small incremental changes in how level the car is sitting has GREATLY affected my results. I have also run back to back tests in the exact same position/environment and received different readings.

My most consistent results have been in my culdesac in the same exact spot, after the same amount/time of driving. Even open the hood and use a small pocket level if youā€™re so inclined.

I know this may sound stupid, but give it a try. Test the oil under different conditions.
As many many many have stated before WTF BMW and the no DIPSTICK situation!!!
Lol

Helicaldamn

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2014 Toyota 4Runner, 1986 Toyota 4Runner
Build 07/19
Mileage 4,821

I've never gotten a warning or noticed the level drop from right below max. However I noticed a decent amount in the factory intake when switching over to an AMS intake. That breather sure lets a lot through.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
I've noticed if one drives normal/slow there isn't any burning. if you drive hard then it burns a bit. Is this not normal for BMW's? I've read on BMW forums that this was a normal thing if you drive aggressively.

polaris

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2017 Corolla iM
Nope
01/21
A hair over 5000 mi

Did a track day at 1900, changed oil at 2500 miles with OEM GR 0w-20, measured it just before draining and it showed max. Did another track day at 3000 miles, just changed it again at 5000, measurement before draining again showed max.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Hey there. Yep, you're right...since then I've learned more. I know more about airplane engines than I do car engines. LOL. When I went in for my recall I got another service advisor who was a bit more helpful and quizzed the tech. They believe it (between min and max) actually represents a liter, since the GR branded oil comes in 1 and 5 liter containers, which isn't that far off from a quart. But anyway, the 10k oil change cycle BMW/Toyota seem to think this car can muster is really unrealistic. I commute to/from work and don't track the car, so given what I know now (over 7k on the car) I think adding a single liter of the oil documented in the owners manual at around 5k is probably reasonable.
The interval for change is from BMW and is standard worldwide. Modern oil can easily handle the interval. Literally nothing new with modern synth oils.
Engines are not piled up broken due to this maintenance schedule. Mostly old thinking and lack of education making some techs, dealers and owners uncomfortable.
In Germany with my M235 and M2 itā€™s 1 Liter low max down to min.

Check, add if needed and fkn drive lol!

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The interval for change is from BMW and is standard worldwide. Modern oil can easily handle the interval. Literally nothing new with modern synth oils.
Engines are not piled up broken due to this maintenance schedule. Mostly old thinking and lack of education making some techs, dealers and owners uncomfortable.
In Germany with my M235 and M2 itā€™s 1 Liter low max down to min.

Check, add if needed and fkn drive lol!
Sure. I meant 10k was kind of wishful thinking from the perspective of doing anything with the oil, adding or otherwise. When I had my 3 series about 14 years ago Iā€™m pretty sure the interval was the same, but I never once had to add oil. On the concern front, if I had a damn dipstick to look at rather than the infotainment system I would probably have been more comfortable. Itā€™s the lack of clarity about what the values mean thatā€™s not very helpful. I didnā€™t find it in the manual, or online, but 1L that you mention makes the most sense. They even sell the fancy GR branded oil in 1L and 5L containers, not quarts. Iā€™ve never really been a ā€œcarā€ guy, so Iā€™m used to not having anything to worry about but sticking to the maintenance schedule.
Sponsored