2021 Toyota Supra…been some time…which oil brand & weight?

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
nothing a spill and fill (or 2 if needed) wont take care of if my a91 starts burning oil....so far 3 guys on the a91 edition FB page have had engine replacements running the stock oil
Yeah, but why not run a BMW spec oil at the least? Rotella is a fine oil, but a BMW LL01 synthetic makes more sense.
Sponsored

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Exactly! Not even close... since it's a drift car it probably spends more time bouncing off the rev-limiter in a single run than a "normal race car" sees in an entire day... and a street car sees in it's lifetime (certainly mine).

Additionally most of that stress is without any benefit of airflow beyond what the fans provide since it's moving sideways as much as possible while doing it.

Not even apples to oranges... more like apples to artichokes.
Great point! Clearly this is proof that a 0W20 makes more sense then in a typical street tuned Supra with significantly more power than a stock one. Only 1000+ hp drift cars should add extra engine lubrication, but definitely not 450+ hp 450+ torque Supra's on the street. :rolleyes:

polaris

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2017 Corolla iM
It's not that protecting the environment is ridiculous, it's that rules like these make things even worse. What's the environmental impact of burning a quart of oil every 1k miles and destroying the engine every 50k miles, including all of the wasted material and CO2 emissions involved in building/shipping a replacement engine? Compared to a savings of what, 1 mpg highway and even less in the city? It's not worth the tradeoff.
You are vastly exaggerating the damage 0w-20 will do to this engine, lol.

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
Yeah, but why not run a BMW spec oil at the least? Rotella is a fine oil, but a BMW LL01 synthetic makes more sense.
it was more on the fact that i have multiple vehicles and race bikes so its nice to just buy one stock of oil.....not to mention i personally have had amazing result running it and my race engine builders (I have used a few) swear buy it for most high compression applications regardless of the whole "diesel truck oil" thing

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You are vastly exaggerating the damage 0w-20 will do to this engine, lol.
And you vastly exaggerate the climate benefits of running a 0W20. Why even take the chance of "extra damage" if it's not necessary? If you're so concerned with the climate, buy a Tesla.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Great point! Clearly this is proof that a 0W20 makes more sense then in a typical street tuned Supra with significantly more power than a stock one. Only 1000+ hp drift cars should add extra engine lubrication, but definitely not 450+ hp 450+ torque Supra's on the street. :rolleyes:
0w-20 belongs in my Corolla not my Supra. Its funny how people keep trying to justify running this oil then cry later when they’re fighting service advisors for a warranty fix. The rest of the world uses 0w-30 or 5w-30 but CAFE crams 0w-20 down US throats.

-RJM

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I bought a Oil Change Kit and this is what their sending me. What are your thoughts?
D5DECC14-9FB0-45DC-9FCF-2438D24075D3.jpeg
Much better option than the manufacturers recommended oil. :thumbsup:

If you get the M340i kit from FCP Euro, they'll rebate you for every oil change kit thereafter (aka free oil changes).

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
I bought a Oil Change Kit and this is what their sending me. What are your thoughts?
D5DECC14-9FB0-45DC-9FCF-2438D24075D3.jpeg
Love the comments; Note

New BMW's fitted with BXX series engines "Require" 0W-20 LL14FE+ Rated oils. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND using this spec! The levels of protection LL14FE provides are much lower than LL01. The new formulation LL14FE is mainly designed with CAFE ratings, EPA requirements and fuel mileage in mind, NOT OVERALL PROTECTION.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Yes, that was exactly what I was saying - you sure cracked that code. :rolleyes: A typical street tuned Supra at 450+ hp & tq would certainly warrant adding extra lubrication... since it's running 30- 50% higher output than stock tune. It would also benefit from additional cooling capacity as well for that matter. A tuned Supra is no longer the warranty-target from a manufacturing standpoint and therefore not Toyota's problem if the oil is now inadequate.

In a bone-stock model that doesn't see the track... I think it will survive to the end of the warranty using the factory water I mean 0W20 oil as specified. They left it without that power for many reasons... fuel efficiency and emissions being one, durability being another.

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
The rest of the world uses 0w-30 or 5w-30 but CAFE crams 0w-20 down US throats.
Toyota specifies the same 0W20 for the Supra in Japan. And the UK. And Canada. And so on. CAFE is irrelevant in all those jurisdictions.

Its funny how people keep trying to justify running this oil then cry later when they’re fighting service advisors for a warranty fix.
I don't follow. Are you saying service advisors are more likely to deny a warranty claim because I ran the factory recommended 0W20 oil? If so, I disagree.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I don't follow. Are you saying service advisors are more likely to deny a warranty claim because I ran the factory recommended 0W20 oil? If so, I disagree.
Exactly. If you are tuned and modified... then it's a package deal (and a pay to play situation). If not, then there is no grounds for denial of a warranty claim.

Not that there's anything wrong with tuning or modifying a car to extract as much performance as possible... I certainly have (though not on my MKV yet). Once you've left the safe haven of factory specifications, however... you're basically voiding the warranty.

Sure you may get lucky and get a service advisor that cares whether a modification/tune is actually to blame for a failure or not - but that's definitely not the rule. You might get lucky and have Intel replace a delidded or lapped CPU, or have Apple replace a jail-broken iPhone you dropped. Nine times out of ten they will not however... even if you could prove that what you did wasn't responsible for the failure. They will simply judge whether it's worth the cost, hassle, or bad publicity... and act accordingly (i.e. their best interests).

There's no pre-nup in an purchase agreement... at least I've never been able to get one. ;)