2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Dyno Results

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
Also, where do they draw the line? If they increase power again, does everyone get another retune? What if they put the S58 in the car, does the warranty cover it after it is swapped?
Yeah. Precedent is going to be *awful* on that.

Plus, Toyota has our money already. Why should they spend a few million researching upgrades for us? Where's the business case? There's what, a few thousand Supra owners in the US right now - if you assume this means an additional 10% of them buy a Toyota as their next car, where's the return? That's like one day of Camry sales. Spend your money where it makes you money.
Sponsored

splv

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 IS350
Toyota doesn't owe anything to the 2020 Supra buyers. You got what you paid for. The 2020 Supra is still a fantastic car. Don't see Porsche owners whining like this and they have to deal with a much more expensive purchase with so many more iterations within a given model.

Toyota wants to up the game with the Supra by continuing to develop the platform. Consumers complain when platforms are left to grow stale, and Supra owners complain with Toyota tries to make the car better. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Wouldnt that be nice, not on this planet though lol
I love my Supra, but as soon as a 21 comes in town; Im trading up. Or by that time I may already be looking at something different. I want another Audi or maybe spring for that Porsche ive been eyeing
How much will you lose on 2020 model?

For me it is 4k in taxes, 2k in paint protection (ceramic coating and film), and 5-8k depreciation. I trade up to a 21' model and would have to spend another 4k in taxes and 2k in paint protection. A 15-20k hit for '21 model year changes? No thanks...

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yeah. Precedent is going to be *awful* on that.

Plus, Toyota has our money already. Why should they spend a few million researching upgrades for us? Where's the business case? There's what, a few thousand Supra owners in the US right now - if you assume this means an additional 10% of them buy a Toyota as their next car, where's the return? That's like one day of Camry sales. Spend your money where it makes you money.
Exactly. The GTR made changes almost every year and they were never owed anything

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
The problem with this is, define "reflash." Unless it comes specifically from Toyota, how do you warranty that? How do you determine what flashes are covered, which ones aren't? How do you determine which tuners are covered? How do you figure out what's acceptable in a flash and what's not? Do you specifically call out fields that can and cannot be modified? What about a piggyback - is that significantly different?

All that requires a lot of research and a lot of time (which is to say it's expensive). There's just too many legal questions to work out with that. Unless, like I said, it comes directly from Toyota, and has to be done by a Toyota dealer. Then it's easier, but they'd have to research what settings to use for longevity/etc., even with that.

Not to say I wouldn't love it. But it won't happen because legal will burn it with fire immediately upon seeing any mention of this.
Good point.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Saw in another thread production starts Monday. So they'll be coming in around August.
Hey just saw your zip code - I'm in Richfield, we'll have to get together to do a little comparison when you get your 2021.. I'm dying to see that blue in person!

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Toyota doesn't owe anything to the 2020 Supra buyers. You got what you paid for. The 2020 Supra is still a fantastic car. Don't see Porsche owners whining like this and they have to deal with a much more expensive purchase with so many more iterations within a given model.

Toyota wants to up the game with the Supra by continuing to develop the platform. Consumers complain when platforms are left to grow stale, and Supra owners complain with Toyota tries to make the car better. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.
+1 Toyota is going bold by annual updates and was mentioned by Tada-san. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Go on Rennlist and Porsche owners are constantly selling, trading and upgrading their Porsche's. Porsche owners whine and bitch over some of the stupidest sh*t. Some go back, some go forward, some just keep adding to their collection, some continue to argue about how "air cooled is better then water cooled", "which 911 is the "last-of-the", "the GT3 is not a real sports car", etc.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA

Nobody says they owe us anything. I was clearly stating that it would be nice if the Toyota service dept would work with us on some minor mods. That’s all. To keep us still under warranty.

And you can keep waiting for that manual that you think Toyota will finally release....

kissmyrs

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Exactly. The GTR made changes almost every year and they were never owed anything
Minor changes, that tuning fixed. Turbo inlets in 2012 and further tuning. Once modded CBA-DBA and so on performed exactly the same. Dont twist it. The only changes that GTR owners including myself cared about were the upgraded internals to the Transmission. Other the Motor through the entire life remained untouched

kissmyrs

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
How much will you lose on 2020 model?

For me it is 4k in taxes, 2k in paint protection (ceramic coating and film), and 5-8k depreciation. I trade up to a 21' model and would have to spend another 4k in taxes and 2k in paint protection. A 15-20k hit for '21 model year changes? No thanks...
I blow money on all my cars all the time, wether its mods, new models, events, whatever. Its my passion And luckily and thankfully Im not in a position where I need to count dollars anymore

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Minor changes, that tuning fixed. Turbo inlets in 2012 and further tuning. Once modded CBA-DBA and so on performed exactly the same. Dont twist it. The only changes that GTR owners including myself cared about were the upgraded internals to the Transmission. Other the Motor through the entire life remained untouched
Your definition of major and minor are completely subjective. Don't twist it.

kissmyrs

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Yea I dont remember anyone saying we were owed anything either. As a 2020 owner you cant help but feel a little slided by the upgrade but it is what it is... Ill just scoop up a 21 or get something
Sponsored