2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Dyno Results

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
So for those with 2020's, should we be upset? butthurt? disappointed that literally in less than 1/2 year the 2021 produce more power and other little nicknacs? Im Happy with my 2020 but I have to admit....that Dyno chart is impressive. Lots of potential for the 2021 motor.
I just hope by 2023 when my 2020 lease finishes that everything wrong is worked out and a faster model is out. excited for the annual changes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
So for those with 2020's, should we be upset? butthurt? disappointed that literally in less than 1/2 year the 2021 produce more power and other little nicknacs? Im Happy with my 2020 but I have to admit....that Dyno chart is impressive. Lots of potential for the 2021 motor.
Plenty happy with my Launch Edition I got at msrp. I am annoyed it was changed so significantly after 1 year. I know they said there will be continued upgrades each year, but if the next few model years are relatively insignificant changes compared to the 2021 model then the 2020 will seem like it was a trial run ... but actually owning/driving my car Iā€™m happy, wouldnā€™t consider for a second trading up

Manny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 & Lexus RC F
Plenty happy with my Launch Edition I got at msrp. I am annoyed it was changed so significantly after 1 year. I know they said there will be continued upgrades each year, but if the next few model years are relatively insignificant changes compared to the 2021 model then the 2020 will seem like it was a trial run ... but actually owning/driving my car Iā€™m happy, wouldnā€™t consider for a second trading up
Same here. I can really see 20 premium owners be a little ticked off, and even some LE owners. My goal was to be the original owner of a LE and own it for long term. In two years or so I will buy a used one and daily the crap out of it.

Last edited:

Rapheal

First Name
Rapheal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
We already know that the difference between the 2020 and the 2021 has a lower compression piston and 6 port Exhaust. Vs the higher compression and 2 exhaust port on the 2020 model.

Is it possible to know at what PSI a stock 2021 is set too? A/F? Timing? Did they change the turbo or is it the same size turbo as the 2020 model?

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Twisted Tuning mentioned the HP gain is most likely top end which you can get with a tune for the 2020
I wonder what 2021 models will achieve with a tune, there is still so much head room there.
this

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
Best I could do without getting arrested! :p

2021 was faster in every race, both rolls and from a dig. Obviously it's not the most scientific testing but in the end, drags rarely are. Next time I'll get a Dragy or something to get measured results.
I am surprised you havenā€™t tuned your A90. Definitely a different beast! Love your videos man

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I wonder what 2021 models will achieve with a tune, there is still so much head room there.
Assuming stage 1 on average is around 18% increase in power (Pump gas)

2020 Supra (330whp stock - 389whp tuned)
2021 Supra (370whp stock - 436whp tuned)

Pure speculation off course but I do think that the 2020 avg increase percentage of 18% will be harder to achieve in the 2021

Time will tell :dunno:

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
I did a cursory Google search yesterday but couldn't find anyone who'd actually tuned their new Z4 :rofl:

The tunes exist, though, so not sure if any of the tuners on here who've got BMW experience know more. Perhaps it's better for some things, worse for other things.

Two things are true for me:
1. I am quite happy with my car, and am really enjoying it (on the one or two days a week I leave the house right now). It's a fantastic car and there's a reason it won so many awards last year. It's a blast to drive, and when I drive through the old downtown area in my suburb every 12 year old stares at it with their jaw on the floor and that's so. much. fun.

2. I am a bit miffed the 2021 has more power. It doesn't affect my happiness with *my* car, but it's annoying. I'm more annoyed I have to change my depreciation curve in my spreadsheets.

For my Supra, in the end I'll likely end up just getting a tune and "fixing" it that way, and if I can spend $1-2k on the tune I'll still be about $4k under MSRP for my premium. In my mind, that means I got 2021 performance for $4k off MSRP - when the alternative, for similar performance, would have been spending at or slightly above MSRP this summer (an MSRP that might be $1k-2k more). The suspension changes don't interest me because I don't track it or anything, I drive on crap roads in traffic, so if the 2020 suspension is a bit more compliant, good!

I'm glad they didn't upgrade iDrive yet, though. For whatever reason, that would have pissed me off even worse than the HP upgrade.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I did a cursory Google search yesterday but couldn't find anyone who'd actually tuned their new Z4 :rofl:

The tunes exist, though, so not sure if any of the tuners on here who've got BMW experience know more. Perhaps it's better for some things, worse for other things.

1. I am quite happy with my car, and am really enjoying it (on the one or two days a week I leave the house right now). It's a fantastic car and there's a reason it won so many awards last year. It's a blast to drive, and when I drive through the old downtown area in my suburb every 12 year old stares at it with their jaw on the floor and that's so. much. fun.

2. I am a bit miffed the 2021 has more power. It doesn't affect my happiness with *my* car, but it's annoying. I'm more annoyed I have to change my depreciation curve in my spreadsheets.

For my Supra, in the end I'll likely end up just getting a tune and "fixing" it that way, and if I can spend $1-2k on the tune I'll still be about $4k under MSRP for my premium. In my mind, that means I got 2021 performance for $4k off MSRP - when the alternative, for similar performance, would have been spending at or slightly above MSRP this summer (an MSRP that might be $1k-2k more). The suspension changes don't interest me because I don't track it or anything, I drive on crap roads in traffic, so if the 2020 suspension is a bit more compliant, good!

I'm glad they didn't upgrade iDrive yet, though. For whatever reason, that would have pissed me off even worse than the HP upgrade.
The 2021 will be under MSRP in 6 months too when the 2022 are announced lol. It's the way of things.
The MSRP isn't changing that much, if any for the regular models. I can see the A91 costing a little more because of the spoiler. If they sold every single Supra on the lot, maybe, but not now. Besides, the cost for the car didn't increase.
Difference is when you tune, and something happens, you'll be paying out of pocket for a new engine. The '21 owners staying stock won't.

You only notice the difference going balls out at a track or drag strip. Daily driving you're never going to feel the power difference.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
^this ...the hp bump doesn't bother me either...

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
^this ...the hp bump doesn't bother me either...
Same. In fact, as a DD - I actually appreciate the slightly better MPG (at least according to Toyota the MY21 will be lower). It still has more than enough extra power when the fun pedal is slammed... but I'm still averaging almost 26MPG on my boring commute.

When it becomes a totally extra car in the future, then it's just a few thousand to tune it to ~500HP and enjoy that as well. Plus since it's a BMW... it will likely be needing a full course of drivetrain attention to fix everything that's leaking or clogged by then and I can do everything at once. ;)

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
Same. In fact, as a DD - I actually appreciate the slightly better MPG (at least according to Toyota the MY21 will be lower). It still has more than enough extra power when the fun pedal is slammed... but I'm still averaging almost 26MPG on my boring commute.

When it becomes a totally extra car in the future, then it's just a few thousand to tune it to ~500HP and enjoy that as well. Plus since it's a BMW... it will likely be needing a full course of drivetrain attention to fix everything that's leaking or clogged by then and I can do everything at once. ;)
I could never even max out my E92 and the Supra's significantly faster, even with the tune the E92 has. So i definitely don't feel like I'm missing out on much, since I don't track anything.

And yeah, the E92's at about 115k miles and it's in the shop today getting some stuff fixed, lol.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE

Agreed. And I think "tasteful" mods (DP, tune, springs/sway bar) will maintain resale value or slightly increase depending on buyer. Or easy enough to return to stock. I'l be interested in the future to see someone do a comparison test of 2021 stock vs. 2020 stage 1 or 2 tune.
Sponsored