2023 Toyota GR Supra Manual Review Thread!!!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
You mean if I hold the kick down button in AUTO mode with the trans in sport it'll go from 8th whatever lowest gear possible ?
Have you tried it ? It WILL do that
And the DCT doesn't "instantly" do that
You'll have to still pedal past kickdown point with the downshift paddle held
The ZF is much easier
Just mash the pedal past kickdown
I have had over 60k miles across 2 different DCT M cars through 5 yrs of ownership
They have their pros and cons
LoL...I said with the pedal to the mat. Nothing is easier than that and yes, it's instantaneous. I've done it. It's not possible to do the same thing with a ZF8.
Sponsored

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
LoL...I said with the pedal to the mat. Nothing is easier than that and yes, it's instantaneous. I've done it. It's not possible to do the same thing with a ZF8.
Stop spreading misinformation
If you don't believe me
Go in the Zupra and mash the pedal past kickdown from 60 in 8th
It'll downshift to 3rd quite rapidly so better hold on

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I happen to be on @PikkaGTR side of the argument but totally get what @White Shadow is saying. I bought this car as a ā€œIā€˜d like to track itā€ but mainly for around town. Then I got in it and tried to get it to miss-shift, not hold gears or not do what I wantā€¦ and Iā€™ll be damned šŸ˜³ It was not what I was expecting to say the least! Iā€™ve had many dual clutch cars and was blown away with this transmission šŸ˜±. Iā€˜ve driven from Ferrari to Porsche to even my wifeā€™s GTI on track and it just wasnā€™t my thing over my manual MX5 or S2000 (at the time). Granted both of those cars are (and were) modified track focused. But Iā€™ll be damned, Iā€™m ready to make the leap with this car (on track). The shifts are like butter but do exactly what I want when I want. So thatā€™s the bottom line for me. This car you can daily drive without all the clunkyness of most dual clutch autos in town and yet command it to your will when needed. I donā€™t know how they did it, Iā€™m not a mechanic nor engineer, but this ainā€™t yo mammaā€˜s Jeep, Pontiac or some other oddly tuned ZF tranny. Can you tell Iā€™m in love? šŸ˜ šŸ˜‚

And congrats to everyone getting a manual in this car. No doubt it will be phenomena! I probably would have bought that if they had it available when I was shopping for a MSRP sports car. Iā€™m just pleasantly surprised with mine and wonā€™t be shopping again anytime soon. Plus I have my MX5 manual for backup daily fun šŸ˜‰.

Last edited:

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I happen to be on @PikkaGTR side of the argument but totally get what @White Shadow is saying. I bought this car as a ā€œIā€˜d like to track itā€ but mainly for around town. Then I got in it and tried to get it to miss-shift, not hold gears or not do what I wantā€¦ and Iā€™ll be damned šŸ˜³ It was not what I was expecting to say the least! Iā€™ve had many dual clutch cars and was blown away with this transmission šŸ˜±. Iā€˜ve driven from Ferrari to Porsche to even my wifeā€™s GTI on track and it just wasnā€™t my thing over my manual MX or S2000 (at the time). Granted both of those cars are (and were) modified track focused. But Iā€™ll be damned, Iā€™m ready to make the leap with this car (on track). The shifts are like butter but do exactly what I want when I want. So thatā€™s the bottom line for me. This car you can daily drive without all the clunkyness of most dual clutch autos in town and yet command it to your will when needed. I donā€™t know how they did it, Iā€™m not a mechanic nor engineer, but this ainā€™t yo mammaā€˜s Jeep, Pontiac or some other oddly tuned ZF tranny. Can you tell Iā€™m in love? šŸ˜ šŸ˜‚

And congrats to everyone getting a manual in this car. No doubt it will be phenomena! I probably would have bought that if they had it available when I was shopping for a MSRP sports car. Iā€™m just pleasantly surprised with mine and wonā€™t be shopping again anytime soon. Plus I have my MX5 manual for backup daily fun šŸ˜‰.
I echo everything you've said about the ZF8. It does exactly what you want and is entirely predictable. For that, I love it. The shifts are savage (especially with VSC OFF) and it will let you keep the tyres frying from 1st through 3rd.

Planetary gearsets are inherently stronger than spur gear arrangements too - so it does have that going for it over the Dual Clutch.

If I didn't have the RCF to have as a cruiser, I would have probably kept the ZF8 over the 6MT.

OP
OP
Cptnslo

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
Meh, there's a lot of better reviews out there. They didn't even research the name of the paint color so they just seem dumb trashing on it for like 2 minutes.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Meh, there's a lot of better reviews out there. They didn't even research the name of the paint color so they just seem dumb trashing on it for like 2 minutes.
For real lol. I know why itā€™s called that and my car is red! This review was pretty low effort

94boosted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R MT
FYI this isn't their standard review channel, this is the "extra" channel, just for a quick short take, informal review. Their regular reviews are actually quite detailed and good. And the Thomas guy actually knows how to drive a car unlike 90% of the other YouTube review channels.

Musa_Hanzo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Rockville, MD I Seoul, S. Korea I Yokohama, Japan
Car(s)
Toyota I Honda I Porsche
I have driven 200 miles on my A91-MT, mostly highway miles within occasional down/up shifts.
Best way to describe the overall experience so far is that the manual is designed for general public, and of course for the experienced manual drivers who are used to driving mt for years. No need expert clutch point to engage, gentle butter soft clutch will engage smoothly in every gear possible and the raw scream you get from downshifting will make you love this manual supra even better.

MT is very much BMW. Its almost exactly same responsive behavior as E46 M3 and the short shifter feel is like porsche 993 and the butter like clutch is like a FK8 Honda civic type R.

Go get it if you can. I promise its worth trading whatever you own now