6 Port Head Swap

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just the head is 4k? I've seen long blocks going for just a little bit more than that. I do think that for anyone make 1000+ HP, the cost would be worth the extra potential.
Yeah, the billet part they're currently producing in small quantities is $4600. They said they would have a cast part out this fall that would reduce that cost, but understandably wouldn't commit to a specific number. I agree that you wouldn't need something like this without other mods to truly take advantage of it, but when you reduce IAT even on a stock motor, it's going to make everything else more efficient and operate as intended. Especially for track work or in the excessive heat we're getting this year in much of the US. If I had a spare $4600 laying around, I would absolutely buy one of these, even with the rest of the motor being mostly stock, just for heat management.

EDIT: This is all wrong. I am mistakenly referencing the intake manifold part info and not the head.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah, the billet part they're currently producing in small quantities is $4600. They said they would have a cast part out this fall that would reduce that cost, but understandably wouldn't commit to a specific number. I agree that you wouldn't need something like this without other mods to truly take advantage of it, but when you reduce IAT even on a stock motor, it's going to make everything else more efficient and operate as intended. Especially for track work or in the excessive heat we're getting this year in much of the US. If I had a spare $4600 laying around, I would absolutely buy one of these, even with the rest of the motor being mostly stock, just for heat management.
Are you referring to the intake manifold?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
It's all good man, I ofter start spouting off bullshit before my second cup of coffee. ?
Indeed. It's what happens when you get up at 5:45am with a sick kiddo. o_O

Reactions: zrk

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
We should see a build popping up soon of a 2 port going ported 6 port head. Accommodated by a built motor and prototype of a new turbo kit a tuner is making. It's a drag build shooting for 1000hp+. I don't see this mod being for anyone not planning on racing.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
There are more changes than just the head, you are better off putting in the whole engine or trading in the car on a 2021+.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There are more changes than just the head, you are better off putting in the whole engine or trading in the car on a 2021+.
There are a few things, but nothing as impactful as the head. The tune would be second most impactful. You would see some top-end (as expected from the additional ports) from the head swap.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
From same article:
In our testing, the 2020 Supra hit 60 mph in just 3.7 seconds and flew through the quarter-mile in 12.2 seconds at 113 mph.
Too bad they couldn't run the MY21 to see because it should have been faster in the quater-mile, but considering the TQ similarities I'm guessing almost exactly the same 0-60. Definitely agree with all regarding this only being a consideration on competition builds... no normal driver or weekend warrior will be able to tell the difference... especially considering a DP & tune on either year will embarass a stock tune regardless and cost at least $3K less depending on DIY or shop built.

frgeoff

First Name
geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
anything with a turbo
Having experience with both heads, I have to respectfully disagree. the difference is very significant, and would absolutely be noticed on a typical vehicle. behind the wheel our driver was blown away at the improvement in overall engine performance. he said the gains in midrange and throttle response felt like we added 2 more cylinders.

also everything bolted up. if there are other parts that change id love to hear, because we didnt change anything else IIRC

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Having experience with both heads, I have to respectfully disagree. the difference is very significant, and would absolutely be noticed on a typical vehicle
There's more to the 2021 vs 2020 than just the head though. Unless you've been through a head swap. The 2021 has a different factory tune.

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
Having experience with both heads, I have to respectfully disagree. the difference is very significant, and would absolutely be noticed on a typical vehicle. behind the wheel our driver was blown away at the improvement in overall engine performance. he said the gains in midrange and throttle response felt like we added 2 more cylinders.

also everything bolted up. if there are other parts that change id love to hear, because we didnt change anything else IIRC
Most likely the Tune. 6 vs 2 Port exhaust won't be noticeable under 900/1000 whp.

If you want instant response, toque down low, go for the 2020. If you want more top end and better tune with 91/93 get the 2021, as simple as that.

frgeoff

First Name
geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
anything with a turbo
Most likely the Tune. 6 vs 2 Port exhaust won't be noticeable under 900/1000 whp.

If you want instant response, toque down low, go for the 2020. If you want more top end and better tune with 91/93 get the 2021, as simple as that.
100% false. the 6 port head spools earlier, creates more torque, and loses NOTHING to the 2020. this cylinder head is a game changer for this platform, make no mistake. anybody disagreeing with me has not done this yet and is "most likely" regurgitating second hand info which is not reality.

There's more to the 2021 vs 2020 than just the head though. Unless you've been through a head swap. The 2021 has a different factory tune.
Yes my team has been through a head swap with a 6 port head on a 2020 2 port supra. And the OEM tune is a non issue, tuning is mandatory when performing heavy modification
Sponsored