A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
I was referring to 2021 models when I gave those numbers. A 2020 with a jb4 on map 3 is a lot more than 40hp, its around 90hp. Expext a 2021 with a downpipe on map 3 to be around 430hp/470tq on 93+ oct.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Talked with a buddy who does some work for Dinan and a couple other tuners.

As of the time of this post- the lock on lower threshold functions from bosch was put on ONLY to BMW versions of the ecu, not any other company (ie audi’s), and at bmw’s request. BMW has indicated they have no plans to allow access, even for Dinan. An M Performance package tune in the future is a “maybe”.

Could change in the future, of course, but right now not terribly encouraging. I still think a smart piggy back is going to be the way to go.

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Talked with a buddy who does some work for Dinan and a couple other tuners.

As of the time of this post- the lock on lower threshold functions from bosch was put on ONLY to BMW versions of the ecu, not any other company (ie audi’s), and at bmw’s request. BMW has indicated they have no plans to allow access, even for Dinan. An M Performance package tune in the future is a “maybe”.

Could change in the future, of course, but right now not terribly encouraging. I still think a smart piggy back is going to be the way to go.
It honestly kind of makes it more ridiculous that this happened especially after all the things Toyota was saying about this car being reliant on the aftermarket and it being a tuner car etc.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
It honestly kind of makes it more ridiculous that this happened especially after all the things Toyota was saying about this car being reliant on the aftermarket and it being a tuner car etc.
yeah its a bummer. I legit feel bad for you guys.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Honestly?

Two Supra owners could definitely try it out. Ideally two people who trust each other with a '21 locked and unlocked ECU at least. They can just swap it manually and go to a dealership and say they need the ECU reprogrammed.

There's also the change of it hurting warranty, so I'm not sure if that's a viable option for owners who care about the warranty.

This sucks :(
check this thread out. VIN's not matching becomes an issue

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ecu-help.7697/

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Yeah, that's what I thought I was seeing on the dyno charts as well, until I realized it was a 2020 they were using that was showing these dramatic increases. There really don't seem to be any numbers for a 2021 available. If we could expect these kind of gains on top of the additional horsepower we're putting out over the 2020 cars that would be great, but I'd certainly want to verify that before dropping the cash on one of 'em.
I have a locked 2021 and I am planning on doing a JB+ (not JB4) on my car and keeping it stock until the warranty is almost over...hopefully by then the ECU will be crackable and any issues with the engine will have been identified and be able to be fixed via warranty/recall/TSB.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I give up. As soon as Motec's solution hits the market I'm going for it.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Bit the bullet and ordered a Jb4, AA dp and planning to add Mst v2 to the order in a couple weeks. 21 supra July build date.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I have a locked 2021 and I am planning on doing a JB+ (not JB4) on my car and keeping it stock until the warranty is almost over...hopefully by then the ECU will be crackable and any issues with the engine will have been identified and be able to be fixed via warranty/recall/TSB.
When are you pulling the trigger on buying it?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'll probably end up buying a JB4 as well, but don't lose hope, all. If there's one thing I've learned over my 25y in a related industry it's that someone will absolutely crack this thing wide open eventually. Looks like it's just going to take while for this version of the ECU. Bosch seems to have done a good job protecting their intellectual property.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When are you pulling the trigger on buying it?
I just bought it (the JB+) right now actually, along with some jack pads and a protective wheel nut remover.

My goal is to keep the car relatively stock for the time being due to warranty work/recall work or any other TSB that might be needed, as you mentioned someone will eventually unlock things in the future - at that time after warranty I would get a downpipe and full ECU tune.

Dinan offers a similar tool here, but it does not specifically mention the Supra: https://www.dinancars.com/products/...ne-modules/dinantronics-sport/parts/D440-0047

Next up for the car is the suspension, but I really want to experience the car stock to see what can be fixed, etc.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I just bought it (the JB+) right now actually, along with some jack pads and a protective wheel nut remover.

My goal is to keep the car relatively stock for the time being due to warranty work/recall work or any other TSB that might be needed, as you mentioned someone will eventually unlock things in the future - at that time after warranty I would get a downpipe and full ECU tune.

Dinan offers a similar tool here, but it does not specifically mention the Supra: https://www.dinancars.com/products/...ne-modules/dinantronics-sport/parts/D440-0047

Next up for the car is the suspension, but I really want to experience the car stock to see what can be fixed, etc.
Nice - congrats! I hadn't considered TSBs not being performed because of the car being modified. If the TSB doesn't have anything to do with a component that is modified, can they really refuse the work? If I flash my ECU and the TSB has something to do with it, I could understand why they would refuse the work, but if it has to do with a brake light switch like I had on an old Passat? I don't see how that's defensible.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice - congrats! I hadn't considered TSBs not being performed because of the car being modified. If the TSB doesn't have anything to do with a component that is modified, can they really refuse the work? If I flash my ECU and the TSB has something to do with it, I could understand why they would refuse the work, but if it has to do with a brake light switch like I had on an old Passat? I don't see how that's defensible.
They definitely could say the car is modified outside of parameters and they will refuse to work on it. Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are not a recall, but "if a customer complains, do this.." type of memo.

I have seen this happen with cars that are even out of warranty - someone brings in a highly modified car that is nothing but problems and instead of creating a headache for everyone, they just kick it out of the shop, or say "it needs new motor, new ECU, etc..."

Also, It all depends on your relationship with your dealership and service writers/manager. I have family who worked with car dealerships for over 50 years - the best thing you can do is be courteous and a little box of twinkies, cupcakes, doughnuts etc helps when you come in for service. They will remember you and know you are not a jerk and will go out of the way to help you.