A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
There are plenty of non new cars that I can buy.
Yep, that’s the way to go right now if you really want to tune. I get your disappointment, but stock the car is pretty fun and is traction limited not power limited.

Try your best to enjoy it, or if you can get the right money out of it, sell it and get what makes you happy.

Graybush

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
The JB4 gives it a bit of extra grunt. If it matches the z4, which it should...looking at 435-440 WHP on 93 oct. Beyond that, wait for standalone or the eventual leak of the encryption keys.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
For one, it will devalue the car since it's not tunable. Less people will want to buy this car because of this. 20 Supra's will sky rocket in price. If you're ok with 385HP cool. But for me I want more power. The car is beautiful, power is OK but being restricted just doesn't sit right with me. Especially, that the motor could make so much more power. For people like yourself, I guess it's fine. Not being able to track this car will be detrimental.
no. The vast majority of people dont mod their cars. It will impact desirability on forums only.

when tuning for a race course file (if thats what you mean by track) im not even allowed to change boost pressure in most leagues. Its just fuel and timing.

id say get a downpipe, exhaust, meth, intake, cooling upgrades, a JB4, and maybe a set of kelford “a” cams. You’ll be well over 500whp.

by the time youve done all that, driven it, taken a couple classes, tracked it, upgraded the suspension and brakes, we’ll probably have clarity on what direction things are going.

being shared with bmw is the best possible thing thag could have happened. If this was a locked and untunable toyota ecu, youd never see it change. This way there is economy
of scale. I think side-saddle “stand alones” and “smart piggy backs” will make a comeback now but who knows. Being shared with audi and bmw, there will be solutions found. Just going to take time.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
I've been tracking my car pretty extensively and I honestly wouldn't want more power on this thing until we've really gotten used to the chassis.

With that said, I would like for this thing to be unlocked as it's somewhat discouraging to know that our options might be limited.

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
I've been tracking my car pretty extensively and I honestly wouldn't want more power on this thing until we've really gotten used to the chassis.

With that said, I would like for this thing to be unlocked as it's somewhat discouraging to know that our options might be limited.
Wish I did more research before I got my '21, I was so tunneled on what parts to buy based off the '20 release, but here I am with a 12/20 build date '21 Supra.
If I didn't feel any regret from spending > 50k on a depreciating asset instead of investing, I sure as hell do now.

Fuck the 2021 Supra. Still love it though.

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
no. The vast majority of people dont mod their cars. It will impact desirability on forums only.

when tuning for a race course file (if thats what you mean by track) im not even allowed to change boost pressure in most leagues. Its just fuel and timing.

id say get a downpipe, exhaust, meth, intake, cooling upgrades, a JB4, and maybe a set of kelford “a” cams. You’ll be well over 500whp.

by the time youve done all that, driven it, taken a couple classes, tracked it, upgraded the suspension and brakes, we’ll probably have clarity on what direction things are going.

being shared with bmw is the best possible thing thag could have happened. If this was a locked and untunable toyota ecu, youd never see it change. This way there is economy
of scale. I think side-saddle “stand alones” and “smart piggy backs” will make a comeback now but who knows. Being shared with audi and bmw, there will be solutions found. Just going to take time.
Wish I did more research before I got my '21, I was so tunneled on what parts to buy based off the '20 release, but here I am with a 12/20 build date '21 Supra.
If I didn't feel any regret from spending > 50k on a depreciating asset instead of investing, I sure as hell do now.

Fuck the 2021 Supra. Still love it though.
Eh... look at it this way... Worst case scenario you're just gonna be forced to milk out the factory warrenty. So by the time it's cracked we will just have a much better idea of where the weak points are.

DatBassTho

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ram 1500
Eh... look at it this way... Worst case scenario you're just gonna be forced to milk out the factory warrenty. So by the time it's cracked we will just have a much better idea of where the weak points are.
That's the spirit more people need on this topic. Im not sure it will be cracked based on what I know of the industry and the direction OEMs are going. I think more parallel units will be the norm going forward. Pick and choose your input and outputs and leave the security nonsense alone.

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
That's the spirit more people need on this topic. Im not sure it will be cracked based on what I know of the industry and the direction OEMs are going. I think more parallel units will be the norm going forward. Pick and choose your input and outputs and leave the security nonsense alone.
I mean everyone here is also making comments like OEM Audi and BMW tuners are going to get access first.... let's not forget toyota also has an aftermarket performance division. I don't think they're gonna just sit idly by and watch their customers foam at the mouths to spend money. What's more likely is toyota will license out keys to tuners per request. And that Vin code will have its warranty revoked. This gives them both control over their IP and stops fiscal loss over warranty claims caused by modifications.... these ECUs are NOT open source. The hardware and software is owned by Bosch, and licensed out to manufacturers. Modifying and changing the programing for a fee as a third party is technically illegal as a copywrite violation.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I’m so glad I found this place before buying my Supra. I even had the sales lady pull the ECU and send me a picture before I would even talk numbers.

As a side note the stock power is too much for the tires. I can get sideways by mashing the pedal while just rolling. For non- tunable 21’s I bet you could improve driving experience by just switching to wider rear tires.

-RJM

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
For one, it will devalue the car since it's not tunable. Less people will want to buy this car because of this. 20 Supra's will sky rocket in price. If you're ok with 385HP cool. But for me I want more power. The car is beautiful, power is OK but being restricted just doesn't sit right with me. Especially, that the motor could make so much more power. For people like yourself, I guess it's fine. Not being able to track this car will be detrimental.
Why not just get a Z06 and cover ALL bases (power, track,etc)?

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
What it really comes down to at this point is somebody as a tune provider needs to get in contact with Toyota about licensing out unlock keys.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
because it doesn't look as good as the Supra. :)
I am with you to a point......not a fan of the C7 version (too many angles on the body lines) but the C6 version (basically ZR1 body with 7.0L N/A engine) is a bute......even at it's age, I think it is still one of the best looking body designs for it's time. Even 10 yrs ago it was an under 4 sec. 0-60 car!!!