A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
@Kiske Thanks for reply on info. Makes sense and it does not look like same ECU setup as Stock Supra as you claimed previously.

@max you became the dog when you posted it and harm was already done. Also, "Don't mean any harm bro...." is not an apology.

Can't worry too much about what a Kia owner says on here!

thunderous_rs

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Audi RS6, 2019 Audi RS4, 2005 Evo 8 MR
Hello everyone,

Pardon my ignorance and apologies if this has been addressed but Iā€™ve just picked up a new 2020 Supra today. Iā€™ve tried reading my ECU / DME via MHD but got a prompt saying itā€™s may need to be unlocked? Iā€™ve stumbled on some posts saying owners need to check the build date? Where do I locate such information?

Iā€™m based overseas and am keen to unlock and tune my ECU. Wonā€™t be visiting the dealers for any future services / warranty as the vehicle was privately imported as our local Toyota dealer wonā€™t be bringing in the Mk 5 Supra.

4358FB56-B41D-4183-A4B3-A5EC4716113F.jpeg

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hello everyone,

Pardon my ignorance and apologies if this has been addressed but Iā€™ve just picked up a new 2020 Supra today. Iā€™ve tried reading my ECU / DME via MHD but got a prompt saying itā€™s may need to be unlocked? Iā€™ve stumbled on some posts saying owners need to check the build date? Where do I locate such information?

Iā€™m based overseas and am keen to unlock and tune my ECU. Wonā€™t be visiting the dealers for any future services / warranty as the vehicle was privately imported as our local Toyota dealer wonā€™t be bringing in the Mk 5 Supra.

4358FB56-B41D-4183-A4B3-A5EC4716113F.jpeg
If you have a 2020 Supra you should be good to go (aka your car is possible to tune and this thread is not really applicable to you), just need a bench unlock for the ECU. You can ship your ECU to one of the vendors here (or there's probably someone closer to your country) and have them do it.

If you are still concerned about your ECU date, you can pull the ECU and it will say when it was manufactured.

thunderous_rs

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you have a 2020 Supra you should be good to go (aka your car is possible to tune and this thread is not really applicable to you), just need a bench unlock for the ECU. You can ship your ECU to one of the vendors here (or there's probably someone closer to your country) and have them do it.

If you are still concerned about your ECU date, you can pull the ECU and it will say when it was manufactured.
Thank you for your advice.

I run a small humble tuning shop but primarily work on VAG vehicles. Iā€™ve taken the leap of faith jumping into a Supra after letting go of my 2018 M2 but was a tad stumped.

Iā€™ve placed an enquiry with a tuner friend of mine that looks handles etuners however heā€™s not confident with unlocking / benching my ECU.

Any vendor recommendations would be appreciated.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thank you for your advice.

I run a small humble tuning shop but primarily work on VAG vehicles. Iā€™ve taken the leap of faith jumping into a Supra after letting go of my 2018 M2 but was a tad stumped.

Iā€™ve placed an enquiry with a tuner friend of mine that looks handles etuners however heā€™s not confident with unlocking / benching my ECU.

Any vendor recommendations would be appreciated.
All of them would be in the US though and you'd have to ship the ECU to them. I know Twisted Tuning, Visconti, Titan, etc unlocks them.

thunderous_rs

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All of them would be in the US though and you'd have to ship the ECU to them. I know Twisted Tuning, Visconti, Titan, etc unlocks them.
Awesome, shipping to the US wouldnā€™t be a problem as Iā€™ve had the experience doing so with my previous vehicleā€™s ECU back in the day.

Will look into the few youā€™ve recommended. Thanks so much

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
The brochure states the GT4 has a unique Magneti Marelli Ecu with a built in Bosch Motorsports DDU 10 intergrated display/data logger.

No I don't have the car. I heavily looked at one but decided to keep my 2 BRZ track cars. Less worry if I take them into the wall and a lot less $ needed on raceday.
So you're saying a company that produces OEM parts for MOPAR/FCA proper, put a custom ECU in the GT4 Supra? AND IT WORKS? HEY MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD ASK AROUND WITH TUNERS THAT SUCCESSFULLY CRACKED THE NEWER MOPAR ECUS? LIKE I'VE BEEN SAYING? ?

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Am I missing something here ?

People are suggesting an ECU from a bespoke factory race car that had a predicted price of $195000

Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to get a stand alone ECU or better still just buy a 2020 if you want to tune it ?

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
Now as im reading through this im fully expecting a "bought an ECU for the GT4 Supra. why wont it work with MY supra?" thread
I mean...save for the GT4 they're all bosch ECUs. The security in mopars units has been relatively more secure than the rest of their units per FCAs request for some time. It's mind-blowing to me that nobody has even bothered to ASK those tuners for advise. Seems pretty juvenile.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
So you're saying a company that produces OEM parts for MOPAR/FCA proper, put a custom ECU in the GT4 Supra? AND IT WORKS? HEY MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD ASK AROUND WITH TUNERS THAT SUCCESSFULLY CRACKED THE NEWER MOPAR ECUS? LIKE I'VE BEEN SAYING? ?
I say you try it. Show us all.???ā€ā™‚

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
I say you try it. Show us all.???ā€ā™‚
I'm kinda tempted to just call them up and ask. I've got some history with diablosport. I beta tested their tunes for the latest gen SHO's. Like... a bosch ecu is a bosch ecu. At the very least they must be preparing for similar security to roll out across all ECUs for new model years. Might have some luck with Livernois as well. They do the unlock service for MOPARs bosch ECUs as well.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
you became the dog when you posted it and harm was already done. Also, "Don't mean any harm bro...." is not an apology.
Just made a point that turned out to be pretty much spot on.....don't apologize for stating the obvious.

Can't worry too much about what a Kia owner says on here!
From the info gathered up to this point, being a "Kia owner", doesn't seem like such a bad thing;).....not so sure about the Supra thing going forward with the "locked ECU's", "low oil warnings", "bad battery warnings" (saw first hand BTW on test drive), "no boost on cold mornings", "too much wind noise above 45 with windows down", "down pipe causes CEL", anything I'm forgetting???? the Kia ECU can be tuned to the heavens if need be(not really needed) and flat out to redline, Supra "engine nannies" shut off fuel at 155 while the poor little Kia is till pulling (all while carrying a "55 tv in the back still in the box)......Still like the Supra even after all that but thanks to this forum , instead of making the same often "admitted mistake" as others here, think I will "pump the brakes" and see what gets improved with the next update.:thumbsup: