Advice on Intake System

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
My spec for reference; '23 Manual - my engine code is B58B30C (340hp UK/EU) - built Aug-22.

I'm coming up to 1 year of ownership and I plan on bringing the car to the main dealer until year 3 for servicing until warranty expires as I don't have tools/right space to do oil changes at home.

I am happy with the stock power, however, very unhappy with the muffled intake sound and exhaust sound killing the B58's glorious sound.

I am not going to put an aftermarket exhaust yet, but after reading a lot of dyi posts here on intakes, and seeing Youtube vids, I am relatively confident I'd like either an EVenturi, MST or Armaspeed intake system, to add lots of induction and spool sounds and make the experience so much more exciting.

Here's my noob/dumb questions:

- Between Eventuri,MST and Armaspeed, which one is know the be the safest/most reliable/highest quality?

- Do any of these ever cause CEL?

- If CEL occured, can it be cleared at home with an OBD scanner?

- Once cleared would the CEL then raise questions from the tech?

- If you were doing what I want to do, i.e. custom intake but dealer servicing, would you put the stock intake back on for servicing or just leave the aftermarket one on?

Thanks to anyone willing to help.
Sponsored

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Eventuri will be the highest quality - then armaspeed - then MST.

None will cause a CEL, nor will they provide any butt dynoable power gains. The OEM intake is fantastic. See if there are any UK based companies that offer an intake rensoator delete. I know verus engineering in the US offers it.

I cannot speak to experiences with MST or armaspeed, but I have the eventuri. There's some increased noise, but the two latter intakes will provide louder noise.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

None will cause a CEL, nor will they provide any butt dynoable power gains. The OEM intake is fantastic. See if there are any UK based companies that offer an intake rensoator delete. I know verus engineering in the US offers it.

I cannot speak to experiences with MST or armaspeed, but I have the eventuri. There's some increased noise, but the two latter intakes will provide louder noise.
Thank you! Yes EVenturi is very popular in UK and they seem to be known for exceptional quality and I did notice MST was much cheaper.
Thanks for sharing.

I did look into removing the airbox muffler/resonator, but some other guys here said it's probably not worth doing as it was minimal gains in sound :(

Eventuri claims 15-20 +hp which is a nice little bonus!

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Thank you! Yes EVenturi is very popular in UK and they seem to be known for exceptional quality and I did notice MST was much cheaper.
Thanks for sharing.

I did look into removing the airbox muffler/resonator, but some other guys here said it's probably not worth doing as it was minimal gains in sound :(

Eventuri claims 15-20 +hp which is a nice little bonus!
I certainly didn't notice the 15-20hp claim

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just found the cost from Evolve Automotive is £1400 + fitting 🤑🥶😭😭😭

By the time I can afford it it might be out of warranty anyway 🤣

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
"Quality" is a very subjective term in intakes.

1) They're just dumb tubes. The car does not care whatsoever what that tube looks like, or what it's made of. From a performance POV, none of these air intakes are engineered in a manner that might make one noticeably superior over another.

2) As long as the intake has a sealed location for the OEM sensor(s), attaches correctly and securely to the car, and plus-sizes the diameter of the OEM piping... one intake is just as good as the next.

3) Carbon v. aluminum is of zero technical or performance value. Provided the airflow and fitments described in #2 are met, the carbon serves only to add a significant material tax.

Because of these, I chose the MST v2. Fitment is perfect, airflow is more than the turbo can consume, and it's not slapped with a $1000+ USD "carbon fiber tax. "

As for whether or not the dealer cares, that depends on the dealer. But no filtered air intake has any capacity to harm the motor, so a dealer balking at its presence boils down to them being a dick about your mods. In the US, anyhow, we have the Magnusson warranty act that prevents dealers from denying warranty claims unless they can prove without the shadow of doubt that the mod was specifically responsible for the issue being claimed.

In short: You'd catch me dead before I spent money on a carbon airbox. Mods aren't cheap, and you'd get a lot more for the money if you allocated "carbon intake money" elsewhere. For example: xHP transmission tune, a JB4, ethanol fueling, etc.

Malcolm Feth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
If you looking for sound, MST or Injen, or something similar will be enough.
I think there are better ways of spending 1400 than carbon intake I will see once every half year :D

I recently got Injen and I'm very happy with the sound! It took me abot hour to fit it myself and I'm not a typical person who does everything in the car himself :)

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
If it helps, I'm going to go for the new Dinan intake, seems to be the perfect balance between Eventuri (very quiet, almost OEM) and Armaspeed (too loud\embarrassing IMO)

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I have the Eventuri personally and love it. Not the loudest on the market but the best looking by far.

Very high quality and I highly suggest the matching engine cover.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I believe by "quality" you're simply referring to which one is the prettiest? They're all just dumb tubes, any of them will last the life of the car and will have an equal impact on power, which is to say zero.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I believe by "quality" you're simply referring to which one is the prettiest? They're all just dumb tubes, any of them will last the life of the car and will have an equal impact on power, which is to say zero.
Referring to "build quality" which is what I interpreted from OPs request. The only people who care about pretty parts are the ones attending car shows. Because thats what the masses like to view, right?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Referring to "build quality" which is what I interpreted from OPs request.
Then how are you ranking them? All of them will fit correctly and last forever, which is about as much as you can ask for without taking appearance into account. The Eventuri is certainly the prettiest, but it's not going to install any easier, last any longer, or work any better than the others.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes as to quality I only intend specifically build quality/materials/ease of fitting, and least likely to cause issues of all kinds.
I don't attend shows much so sound and build quality > appearance, but just so happens EVenturi is also extremely pretty 😄
Gonna look at Dinan and Injet as well now, as I hadn't considered those.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT