MST Clear intake advice

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Lol. ;)

Yes, it fits in that channel.
Thanks - I thought so, but was having trouble getting the bad boy in there. The thinnest of films of silicone grease let it shift around enough that it seated properly. Mucho appreciated for the assistance! That picture of the stock intake, which of course I didn't think about taking a look at, was exactly what I needed.
Sponsored

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Guys, this MST intake install has been a rollercoaster. I've taken the intake system apart and put it back together (including non-stock kits) about 10 times over the past couple of years, so I feel like I know what I'm doing. This has been a journey, though. So I've watched a lot of install videos on YouTube. In every video, the screws used to attach the mass airflow sensor to the intake pipe are silver. One video mentions they are 3mm hex. They aren't the stock screws - this much is obvious. In a couple of videos it says "use the provided screws." It doesn't say shit about it in the instructions. Doesn't show it in any detail either. The problem is, I don't seem to have the screws shown in the videos with my kit. The cover that attaches to the top of the heat shield is held in by five black screws. I have seven of these. These screws are also the correct thread pattern to screw into the aluminum intake tube and hold the mass airflow sensor into place, however. Did MST switch to just giving people seven of the same black screws rather than five black screws and two silver specific to use with the sensor? Has anyone who purchased one recently confirm or deny this? Going crazy with what should have been an hour long project.

There's also damage to the lid and intake (not turbo inlet) pipe, so that's another thing I need to deal with before this all gets buttoned up. Just one problem and inconsistency after another. Very frustrating.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Sorry about your trouble.

mass airflow sensor
This isn't a mass airflow sensor; it's a temperature probe. It doesn't need to sit tight or make a seal. It's just a temp probe, and not even one that's used to measure IATs (that's from the MAP sensor on the chargepipe). Just getting it to sorta seat is more than enough. There's also no real pressure there, it's on the intake side. Leaks or whatever are fine.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
Guys, this MST intake install has been a rollercoaster. I've taken the intake system apart and put it back together (including non-stock kits) about 10 times over the past couple of years, so I feel like I know what I'm doing. This has been a journey, though. So I've watched a lot of install videos on YouTube. In every video, the screws used to attach the mass airflow sensor to the intake pipe are silver. One video mentions they are 3mm hex. They aren't the stock screws - this much is obvious. In a couple of videos it says "use the provided screws." It doesn't say shit about it in the instructions. Doesn't show it in any detail either. The problem is, I don't seem to have the screws shown in the videos with my kit. The cover that attaches to the top of the heat shield is held in by five black screws. I have seven of these. These screws are also the correct thread pattern to screw into the aluminum intake tube and hold the mass airflow sensor into place, however. Did MST switch to just giving people seven of the same black screws rather than five black screws and two silver specific to use with the sensor? Has anyone who purchased one recently confirm or deny this? Going crazy with what should have been an hour long project.

There's also damage to the lid and intake (not turbo inlet) pipe, so that's another thing I need to deal with before this all gets buttoned up. Just one problem and inconsistency after another. Very frustrating.
Can confirm I got more black screws that fit the sensor fine. It threaded smoothly, and there’s no need to really torque those down.

Zoom in on my pic, and you can see the screws.

DF15B386-D4C6-4425-ACB1-002CBB08D7DC.jpeg

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Sorry about your trouble.
Thanks. I'm going to email the company now about the damage.

This isn't a mass airflow sensor; it's a temperature probe.
Toyota feels differently by name (from their official parts website):

Screenshot_20221221-131907_3.png

Screenshot_20221221-131916_3.png

It doesn't need to sit tight or make a seal. It's just a temp probe, and not even one that's used to measure IATs (that's from the MAP sensor on the chargepipe). Just getting it to sorta seat is more than enough. There's also no real pressure there, it's on the intake side. Leaks or whatever are fine.
It sounds like this is the right answer in combination with the below.

Can confirm I got more black screws that fit the sensor fine. It threaded smoothly, and there’s no need to really torque those down.

Zoom in on my pic, and you can see the screws.

DF15B386-D4C6-4425-ACB1-002CBB08D7DC.jpeg
Exactly the information I needed - greatly appreciated.

@underdonk Dm me if you’d like me to mail you some screws
Thank you very, very much for this offer. It's very generous. I will hit you up if the provided screws aren't cutting it, which it sounds like they should based on the above. Again, always appreciate a forum member willing to offer up shit to help out. Love this community.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Got the replacement parts for the damaged stuff. Meant to post this earlier but my house has been a damn leper colony lately - can't stay healthy! I had noticed something while the car was sitting taken apart for a while. There seems to be a large hole at the bottom of the MST heatshield pointing directly at the turbo heat shield:

PXL_20230106_180026835 - Copy.jpg

It's larger than it looks in the picture because of the angle of the shot - the length of the phone prevents a lower photo. Unless I flipped the phone and took it upside down, I suppose. At any rate, is everyone with this intake running around with this gap in the heat shield? I'm assume so, but I thought I would ask. I don't know if it would make any difference at all, but I figure I would block it before I finish the install. I want to put a big ol' glob of spray foam in the hole just because it would be so satisfying.

Also, as an aside, it's interesting that MST has moved to a rubber turbo inlet pipe that connects to the turbo inlet using a clamp and away from the metal pipe they used previously (which I have) that connects using the stock method of a c-clip. I'm guessing it's because it's much, much cheaper to produce and doesn't retain heat, but I'd like to know if anyone has any information about it. The picture on their website has been updated (https://www.mst-performance.com/products/ty-sup01l) but they don't mention the change to the kit.

LateBraker5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Got the replacement parts for the damaged stuff. Meant to post this earlier but my house has been a damn leper colony lately - can't stay healthy! I had noticed something while the car was sitting taken apart for a while. There seems to be a large hole at the bottom of the MST heatshield pointing directly at the turbo heat shield:

PXL_20230106_180026835 - Copy.jpg

It's larger than it looks in the picture because of the angle of the shot - the length of the phone prevents a lower photo. Unless I flipped the phone and took it upside down, I suppose. At any rate, is everyone with this intake running around with this gap in the heat shield? I'm assume so, but I thought I would ask. I don't know if it would make any difference at all, but I figure I would block it before I finish the install. I want to put a big ol' glob of spray foam in the hole just because it would be so satisfying.

Also, as an aside, it's interesting that MST has moved to a rubber turbo inlet pipe that connects to the turbo inlet using a clamp and away from the metal pipe they used previously (which I have) that connects using the stock method of a c-clip. I'm guessing it's because it's much, much cheaper to produce and doesn't retain heat, but I'd like to know if anyone has any information about it. The picture on their website has been updated (https://www.mst-performance.com/products/ty-sup01l) but they don't mention the change to the kit.
318D9338-3C72-43BC-AFDA-6B0B1A6BD2E1.jpeg

I just installed the latest V2 kit with the silicon coupler. I was a bit surprised as I didn’t know they updated the kit until mine arrived. Installs easy and I’ve been checking every couple of drives to see if the connection is still ok. Seems solid enough.

I also have the exact same gap you are showing. My OCD kicked in and I got some rubber weather stripping to take up some of that gap as well as along the lid and the thick cable on the left side. Im sure it makes absolutely no difference in temps 😀

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
318D9338-3C72-43BC-AFDA-6B0B1A6BD2E1.jpeg

I just installed the latest V2 kit with the silicon coupler. I was a bit surprised as I didn’t know they updated the kit until mine arrived. Installs easy and I’ve been checking every couple of drives to see if the connection is still ok. Seems solid enough.

I also have the exact same gap you are showing. My OCD kicked in and I got some rubber weather stripping to take up some of that gap as well as along the lid and the thick cable on the left side. Im sure it makes absolutely no difference in temps 😀
Nice! I think I'm just too traumatized by my experience with the Eventuri intake to trust the silicone inlet pipe being attached to the inlet with a clamp (kept popping off when the motor torqued - but I had fitment considerations because of an AOS). In fact, it's the only reason why I went with the MST over the ArmaSpeed intake. Thanks for confirming the gap - I'm glad I'm not the only one OCD enough to notice and block it before finishing the install!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all. It's me with your weekly MST intake installation question. No, the car is not fully put back together yet. Yes, I have two small children and travel for work, which means installing parts 20mins at a time. Everything is installed and working fine, but I'm curious about the orientation of your intake pipe. The mass airflow sensor only fits in one way, depending on which way you installed the pipe, which means the connection is going to either result in the wires pointing towards or away from the heatshield. See the orientation of mine below, pointing away from the heatshield:

PXL_20230115_200520647 - Copy.jpg

This is the way the instructions say to install it. I've watched just about every YouTube video on this install and it's a mixed bag. I'm having some fitment issues, which I think I've narrowed down to the Verus Engineering motor mounts that were recently installed. I'm not saying these two parts are incompatible, just that the likely slightly different way the motor sits in the engine bay now has resulted in a tight fit for the intake. At any rate, I'm curious which way you installed your intake pipe if you don't mind sharing!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah, No idea why Toyota mislabels that. Translation issue from BMW? It's 100000% a Temp Probe (and looks nothing like in that illustration). These cars do NOT have a MAF, or changing things like intake and turbos would be impossible with JB4.

To prove it, disconnect it and start the car. If a MAF equipped car tries to start without a MAF, it'll freak the fuck out.

Even on Toyota parts sites, if you look at the 'vehicle fitment' section, you'll see this part-number is a Toyota part, for Toyota ECUs and is not compatible with the B58. https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-mass-air-flow-sensor-2220422010

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah, No idea why Toyota mislabels that. Translation issue from BMW? It's 100000% a Temp Probe (and looks nothing like in that illustration). These cars do NOT have a MAF, or changing things like intake and turbos would be impossible with JB4.

To prove it, disconnect it and start the car. If a MAF equipped car tries to start without a MAF, it'll freak the fuck out.

Even on Toyota parts sites, if you look at the 'vehicle fitment' section, you'll see this part-number is a Toyota part, for Toyota ECUs and is not compatible with the B58. https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-mass-air-flow-sensor-2220422010
Yeah, I don't know. Just going by what Toyota calls it. What you're describing is the way it worked on my old GTI VR6 with its mass airflow sensor setup.
Sponsored